RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Good levergun gunsmith???

I'm A Honcho!

Good levergun gunsmith???

Greetings Cast Booliteers,

Was wondering if anyone would share their levergun shortening experiences and photos.

Share where you got the work done and if the person is still in business. I dont mind patronizing a CB member to get the work done.

Essentially, Im looking for make a pair of 44 Magnum 1894's look like Marlin Guide Guns and have the sights re-mounted. I would never have a need for a 10 round tube and plan on shooting one with Skinner Sights and one with a scope.

Thanks in advance and share any photos that you have if you dont mind.

Bluejay
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I had mine done 15 years ago, both 1894 Marlins; a 44 and a 357, I also had the magazine shortened to "button" length. Done by B & B gun in Rexburg Idaho.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Gun Doctor LLC. in Lawrenceburg KY does very good work at a fair price including lever actions. Don't know just how full on custom her (yes, a woman gunsmith!) repertoire is but she is usually backed up a few months at a time.

Becky Kostenbader, gunsmith 502-680-2244

https://m.facebook.com/thegundoctor.lawrenceburg.ky
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	197710Had one shortened and rebored to 356W by JES. Had a custom Win 94 Trapper made from a standard 94 by Jeff Johansen, Unadilla, NY. Both were exceptionally done. I would also consider Regan Nonneman and Ranger Point Precision. Dealt with both for other work and they too were great.

I'm A Honcho!
    Gonna reach out to JES first. Thanks guys. Anyone else.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Banned

If you want the best "Jim Bowie" at Cowboys and Indians store in Santa Ana California
    He likes 94s and he is the man. He invented the short stroke kit. You will have to wait a few months, but it is worth it. For sure, it is worth it.
    P.S. I don't know if he "shortens" guns, but his action work cannot be beat.

I just had a .444 Marlin worked over by Gary Reeder, and the work he has done (and the blueing) is top notch. No accuracy report yet, but I'm sure it will shoot.

Surfdog

Boolit Master

Try Goodsteel from this site. He does excellent work, gives great advice and help if you need it, and is a nice guy. He worked on my marlin 336, and gave it the best trigger of any of my rifles!
    I shoot so that I can handload.