Titan ReloadingADvertise hereLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Graf & SonsInline FabricationRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realist range of Pistol shotshells ?

Boolit Master
    GREAT thread! When I get my new 357, I will try using some of Speer's old (about Mid '70s, Red and yellow) shot capsules that I found hiding in my reloading stuff, and the newer, Blue capsules.

Question:The Speer published load is 5.5 gr. Unique. I am going to try a little milder load...5.0 gr. or 4.5 gr., in hopes that lower velocity will produce tighter groups from the 4" barrel. I have #8, 9 and 12 shot, and figure my effective range should be about 3-4 yards.
    I have found a crimp that will retain the capsules in the case, without resorting to Super Glue, or fracturing the plastic.

Is there anything I need to be aware of before reducing the charges?

What size Buckshot do I need that will fit snugly in the Speer Capsules, to try some multi-ball loads? 00, 000, or something else?

Thanx!

Boolit Master
    This isn't your typical .357 Mag pistol. TC Contender with a 10" Hot Shot barrel. It has a choke that stops or slows the spin from the rifling. Remove choke if your going to shoot solid projos however. These grey tree rats were shot at 15 YARDS. At that distance I have a 6" or so shot pattern. Reloaded Speer Shotcapsules using #9 shot and Unique.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15' & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10, 11' & 14'

Boolit Master
    I load 410 ga. shells with close to the same load as used in a 357 mag shot cup. You wouldn't believe the difference, yes the rifling messes up the pattern.

I read an article years ago about a guy that would ream the rifling out of a 45 Colt. He was a woods runner and would load the cases with shot for small game and clamed usable patterns. He also worked up a load for bore sized round balls with decent groups at 25 yds. It's a shame that we can't have handguns with a smooth bore, I would love to have one.

Dave

Yeah the Hotshot 357's and 44's were more effective than your typical pistol loads. Not just because of the choke, the payload helped too.

Boolit Master
    One time Armoredman found out that a .38 shot shell wont stop Jack with two shots at 15 feet.
    He grabbed my .38 and did not know it was loaded so the first two rounds were shot shells for our local Rattlesnakes when we were Dove hunting.
    The Jack Rabbit just wiggled his ears and walked off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12