Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion about Lee 45 (H&G 68 200 SWC) cast boolits in semi-auto

Boolit Master
    HG-68: Thumbnail's width of bearing surface showing and a stout taper crimp has done the job in every .45 I've owned. Guess we all learned from the same guy
    Last edited by Boolseye; 06-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Boolit Master

That is my favorite .45 bullet since around 1965. I have never found a .45 that will not feed it reliably but some need a few thousandths adjustment in seating depth.

you should be able to solve your shaving problem with your expander adjustment. You can absolutely solve it with a bevel base version of the bullet.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    To eliminate the "lead-shaving", seat and crimp in two separate ops.
    I'm already doing this. The shaving is the top of the brass cutting off part of the top ring. I already have my expansion of the brass as much as it can be done and still be able to crimp it.

The shaving isn't really that big of a problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Leaving the 230-2r's shoulder above the case mouth to approximate 1.265" is the correct way to do it as it allows taper crimping to the proper dimension rather than on the subcaliber nose of the bullet. Unless the taper crimp has some amount of "bite" into the full caliber bullet it is useless in helping prevent setback. If it is taper crimped into the subcaliber nose of the bullet such that it bites into the lead to serve its purpose the headspacing surface of the case mouth is smaller than it should be.

Taper crimping is always into full bullet diameter. Never subcaliber.

If your guns will not allow correct chambering at such length to allow taper crimping into full bullet diameter contact DougGuy to throat the gun, as in fact your firearm is improperly dimensioned.

I can explain with specific dimensioning as I am very familiar with this bullet if more is desired.

Boolit Buddy
    In the last 35 + years i have owned at least 10 1911,Colt, Kimber, Les Baer.I shoot USPSA single stack and go thru bout 8000 H&G 68 which I cast per year.I can not recall when if i ever had a jam with this boolit at 1.250 oal.Me thinks if you are having problems you might have some type of mag,extractor or throat problem.