Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High humidity adding Styrofoam helps

Boolit Mold

High humidity adding Styrofoam helps

This is my first post here, I have got a LOT of information from this site so I wanted to share some with you as well. It may have already been posted previously, if so I didn't see it.

I was having problems with good coverage using the shake and bake method black airsoft bb's, and even added some regular steel/copper plated bb's, but could not get the powder to stick very well even shaking to death. I added a piece of styrofoam about the size of a 45 case crumbled up as small as I could, some of it crumbled into little balls, some into bigger pieces, getting this into the coolwhip bowl is a fight. The styrofoam stuck to everything from static, my hands, gloves, tweezers... after finally coaxing the styrofoam into the bowl I got outstanding powder coverage, the only drawback now is the powder sticks to good if that's possible as I have to tap the bullets pretty good on the lid to remove extra powder.

I hope this helps others, Clint

Boolit Bub
    Interesting tip, thanks Clint

Banned
    Great share, have you tried it without breaking up the styrofoam? I'll have to give that a shot next time I PC.

Boolit Mold
    I have not tried it without breaking up or crumbling the styrofoam, it would be worth trying adding some the size of packing peanuts if it didn't work you could always break/crumble it up. When you take the lid off the coolwhip bow it the styrofoam is in a static "flux" clinging to the sides of the bowl moving all over the place from static. I should have thought of this sooner, and just so happened I had a piece of styrofoam sitting right beside me begging me to try it. Also I should have noted using Harbor Freight red powder

I live in Georgia, and the humidity the last week along with the heat has really been terrible.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the great tip!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

I'm finding that PVC pipe is working better than a #5 container here in humid N. Texas right now.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

my #5 plastic jar works much better than the PVC--and I'm on gulf coast of Texas

guess this is part of the 'fun' of PC--finding what works for each person
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I've used Styrofoam but the problem I found is it breaks down and is hard to separate from the powder and boolits.

Does the styrofoam itself coat real thick in PC?

I had to laugh when you described trying to get it all into the container...I had a real fight just trying to put the peanuts back into the shipping box they came in...they were sticking to my arms, just jumping out of the box...I swear you could feel the field all around the box opening!

I wonder if they will continue adding a charge through many coating cycles?

Has anyone tried putting the regular BB'd PC tub inside a tub lined with peanuts and then shaking it around?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Hickok Thank you for the welcome !! This is a great site with a wealth or information on casting !!

TexasGrunt I have a great value peanut container (clear) I plan to try on my next run with the added styrofoam, I hope it works as it has a screw on lid vs the snap on cool whip lid.

Walter Laich I agree with the constant improvement, and trying what may or may not improve the powder coating process is part of the fun !!

Moonie I have only made two runs with the styrofoam, but so far it's holding up pretty good, if it breaks down over time it's cheap enough to replace IF it's not a big hassle to separate from the bb's... but I had to buy a large container of black airsfoft bb's so I have a lifetime supply for testing

OS OK The powder does not stick to the styrofoam like it does the boolits, but the styrofoam does get a little bit on it, it is possible as I use it more the powder may coat the styrofoam leaving it useless. If it's not to hard to separate I will not having a problem recharging it with more styrofoam as it only takes a little piece to work it's magic. That is a great idea to place the bowl inside a box of packing peanuts or similar I suspect this may work as a pre charge, or a addition charge during the boolit coating.

The styrofoam has a lot of static charge to offer up, and a lot of energy, I'm not sure how long it will last. I will update he thread I have a couple more runs to make. If I can get 5-10 coatings from the addition of the small piece of styrofoam I added with results I got the first two runs I will be 100% satisfied... It works so well that I would even be happy with a one time use as long as the styrofoam does not end up causing problems.

Boolit Master
    Dag-nab-it! Now I'm going to HAVE to try this! I'm not having any issues what so ever, but I've just GOT to try this! Welcome, and thanks for the tip!

Banned
    what about charging the boolits in styrofoam then introducing them to the PC?

Nice suggestion, been too hot and humid for it lately but now I might have to give it a shot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I wish we had a Scientist type here to explain 'valence rings' of the Pb blends....the valence ring determines whether or not they will turn loose of an extra electron or whether they want to take an electron...others are stable and don't care either way...this is at the bottom of what we are trying to do....add an electron to the Pb blend to attract the PC material that obviously needs one to balance it's charge by adhering to the Pb...whooah, that was a mouthfull!
    It's been too many years since I sat in school learning all this stuff and of course that was not in the days we had computers so I don't have any references for you...
    Valence rings of the atoms of the Pb blend and what material will give up extra 'unbalanced' electrons to the Pb...pretty scientific stuff for a bunch of redneck brass stuffers and casters...huh?

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I have been adding ~1/2 inch cubes of the junk that comes packaged around your stereo, speakers, any electronic. Seems to help.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Just a thought what do you think of using the foam to charge your container ? remove the foam add your powder and bullets then shake or what ever your doing next. Your foam will stay together with no bullets beating it to death and you will not have to pick the foam out. I have not tried any thing besides the gun so I could not say.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned
    Does anyone have one of those styrofoam bowls from take out? I would be curious how much of a charge swirling in one of those would create. OR-- line your media tumble separator with styrofoam and tumble bullets in there to charge.

Boolit Mold
    Well I was not able to make another run as of yet. All the comments are good stuff, and the styrofoam probably will do it's trick inside or outside the bowl. As for the styrofoam bowl I'm scared to do that I can see harbor freight powder covering an entire room, and lead bullets flying wild when the styrofoam fails.

I'm sure this is old news, but the scientific question made me think of posting this simple to understand info http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/static.html

I hope anyone who gives this a try post their results.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a short section of PVC and plug both ends with my #5 containers. Styrofoam packing peanuts go into the pipe, bullets and powder goes into the containers, no BB's necessary. Hold lids on with your hands as you shake & roll for less than a minute. Perfect coverage!

In Remembrance

I've put a few of those little plastic cylinders of silica gel (?) that come in drugstore pill bottles in with the powder and BB's and it seems to help with humidity.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast