Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lee 1oz slug ....

Boolit Master

Lee 1oz slug ....

Anyone ever try the Hogdon and or LEE component data to build one of these loads?

I tried assembling the following:
    - Rem Gun Club 2 3/4 hulls
    - WAA12SL Wad
    - 36 grs - HS6

Shell looks fine but will not chamber (without help - to large in diameter), anyone else have this problem? Is it the data or is it me?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    I bought the mold a month or so ago & cast some pure lead slugs from it. About 40-50. I have not yet loaded any as I have been occupied with doing some load work ups for some other firearms.

I will try to do some this weekend & see how they work out. Maybe I can help out in some way. Although I am sure some others will be better at helping ya out when they come along.

Seems to me though that I remember some time back when I was looking up & researching on these, that someone was cutting the petals of the wad back so they did not "accordion" or fold over at the top.

Could that be a factor here?

I seem to also remember something about 7/16ths inch left at the top from slug to hull top for crimp( fold). Others roll crimped and I am not sure about how much shell has to be left for that.

Did ya fold crimp or roll crimp? Might make a difference also...

P.s.- Thought of one other thing... could ya have compacted the powder,wad & load when you were crimping, bulging the hull?

Just thinking.. & trying to help out if I can...

Boolit Master

I made two dummy rounds, one with a standard fold crimp and one with a roll crimp.

Both loads looked fine the OAL was 2.350ish, both rounds were tight clambering.

I just realized that the wad is the CLAY BUSTER replacement for the WAA12SL. Are these direct replacements?, or is this my problem?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

some of the wad petal are sloped in certain brands, if I recall I had to cut the petals compleatly off because those slugs are not designed to go in a shot cup. you need the layman "air rifle pellet" slug to use the shot cups.

Here's what I have had luck with;
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...z-load-success!!

I have loaded hundred of these slugs. If you are using new Winchester wads, some have ribs and the pettles are thicker at the bottom. I have done very well using WAA12 wads in Rem nitro cases and 49 gn Blue Dot. They fit in the gun and scream out the barrel. They sure do kick.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I made two dummy rounds, one with a standard fold crimp and one with a roll crimp.

Both loads looked fine the OAL was 2.350ish, both rounds were tight clambering.

I just realized that the wad is the CLAY BUSTER replacement for the WAA12SL. Are these direct replacements?, or is this my problem?
    This is your problem, the clay busters have ribs inside the petals that cause exactly that problem

Boolit Master
    i found the remington and claybuster clones just dont work.
    I use the gray winchester wads...

Boolit Buddy
    Some Claybuster replacements have ribs in the petals, but you can overcome this by adding a ⅛ card under the slug, if it fits in the wad ok. It also helps to prevent the wad deforming too much into the cavities in the slug. Deforming the spring part of the wad by compressing too much during loading was mentioned by a prior poster, apart from bulging hulls, it can increase preasures.
    Last edited by GrayTech; 06-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Here's some testing I did with the Lyman 525.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-MP-Lyman-525

oops wrong thread....long week
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 06-17-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I've had success with the Claybuster Lightning wad CB-4100-12
    The 8 thin petals allow the 1 oz slug to fit in the Remington GC hull without bulging

I like the Lightning because I load at pretty low velocities (1200-1300 fps) and use data from 1 oz shot loads and get perfect crimps

If you want a larger charge of a slower powder, consider the Claybuster CB4118-12B (Windjammer) wad (the one on the right, the one on the left is a Claybuster WAA-12 clone with the rib that causes hull bulging.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I've had success with the Claybuster Lightning wad CB-4100-12
    The 8 thin petals allow the 1 oz slug to fit in the Remington GC hull without bulging

I like the Lightning because I load at pretty low velocities (1200-1300 fps) and use data from 1 oz shot loads and get perfect crimps

If you want a larger charge of a slower powder, consider the Claybuster CB4118-12B (Windjammer) wad (the one on the right, the one on the left is a Claybuster WAA-12 clone with the rib that causes hull bulging.

Awesome info !!! Thanks for the pictures.

Scott
    Scott

I use Win AA and Windjammer hulls. I cut my wads so the slug breaks the crimp.

Last edited by Retumbo; 07-02-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    I use Win AA and Windjammer hulls. I cut my wads so the slug breaks the crimp.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JhRVt
    Excactly. That's the key thing. It also prevents the petals from folding over the nose of the slug causing irratic flight patterns.