RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 sd ammo

Banned

30-06 sd ammo

Is there any reason I shouldnt load a Hornady InterLock Bullets 30-30 Winchester 150 gr. (link below) round in my 30-06 rem 700?

i saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAyhv0xqUI were a guy had loaded some ammo backwards, and i saw a potential SD round, but wanted to ask around a bit before building one.

I was thinking the flat base would be more accurate, but would help to address the pressure issues he was having. Of course I would work up the load.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...ose-box-of-100

a potential SD round Get a heavy soupcan/FN mould and use soft alloy. You probably only get one shot - against a 2 leg attacker.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

my first instinct, is there are better guns and better calibers for self-defense.
    But, if you have your reasons to experiment with 30-06, then I agree with popper.

I'd think a 200gr boolit with a Flat nose, like the RCBS or NOE's clone of the RCBS.

Attachment 197553
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Is there any reason I shouldnt load a Hornady InterLock Bullets 30-30 Winchester 150 gr. (link below) round in my 30-06 rem 700?
    I was thinking the flat base would be more accurate, but would help to address the pressure issues he was having. Of course I would work up the load.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...ose-box-of-100
    The only advantage to loading bullets designed for 30-30 in a 30-06 is expansion at longer ranges. The 30-30 bullets are designed to expand at lower velocities than the ones for 30-06.
    Theoretically, you would get better expansion at longer ranges with the 30-30 bullets.
    Accuracy will vary by firearm and load of course.

Boolit Master

I would opine that in an '06 any round would be overkill. If you want to limit penetration try a varmint bullet like the Hornady VMax 110 grain.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

You saw it on U-Tube so it must be a good idea , go for it .
    I doubt the need for a 30-06 Self Defense round is going to be great...but hey I was wrong about thinking no one would pay money for a bottle of water !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

If you wanted to load a 150 gr. RN designed for 30-30 velocities, it's OK. But you need to be aware that the 30-06 will produce higher velocities than those of a 30-30, and the lower velocity bullets would come apart, on the target when driven to 30-06 velocities. If you are handloading, then you can "control" the velocities for that bullet.

If handloading a bullet backwards was of any benefit, it would be well known and not just in a video by some nut on youtube. Just about every combination of "Bubba-ing" bullets and loads have been tried and so far there are very few, if any that have proved their worth...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Take a note from Hornady themselves, their 308 tac round is loaded with the 125 grain varmint bullet to reduce overpenetration and colateral damage. I can vouch that this bullet makes an excellent reduced (around 2200 fps) deer round. At that low velocity it expands violently but usually exits a broadside shot.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned
    Hahaha, I see where you are coming from about using a 30-06 as an SD gun, but it's hardly my go to gun. ALL of my guns have the potential for being used as an SD weapon at some unforeseeable point, so I keep them all ready to rock. I wasn't thinking about the round being unable to deal with the velocity though, that is why I posted thread.

Can you post a picture of the shoulder holster?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Take a note from Hornady themselves, their 308 tac round is loaded with the 125 grain varmint bullet to reduce overpenetration and colateral damage.
    I concur

Boolit Master

Back in the old days when the Army was using the M1, it was common practice to pull and reseat a 172 grain National Match bullet for use in the 06. Never did like the practice but GIs lacking the funds for commercial hunting components killed a lot of venison with them and fed a lot of kids when money was short./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I'm willing to bet any 125 to 200 grain bullet truckin along at 2,000 to 2,700 FPS will work sufficiently well for self defense assuming it is accurate.

.30-06 for self defense? Expecting a horde of Nazis to invade your house or what? I wouldn't even consider it. Only for 100+ yard applications, bullets seated normally. As in M1 Garand and M2 ball.....

Banned

yup a 3030 bullet at 06 velocitys is going to be a bomb when it hits. 3030s are one of the only rounds that have bullets specifically designed for it. the jackets are thinner then they are on other 30 cal bullets so they will reliably expand at under 2000 fps. Push it to near 3000 and its going to do some damage.

Banned
    Nazis ?!? Shoot, I been preparing for zombies.. Now what am I gonna do?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Nazis ?!? Shoot, I been preparing for zombies.. Now what am I gonna do?
    "Adapt! Improvise! Overcome!"

USMC
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    The OP never mentioned using it as a SD round.
    I'm assuming your being sarcastic... right? It's the title of the thread and mentioned in the first post.

Banned

the great thing about the 30-06 is you can slow it down to 30-30 speeds, and use their thinner bullets or sst's or whatever.

First off why even mess with using a light bullet or a 30/30 fn or rn ? just leave it as is with the standard 150/165 gr soft point at full speed ! Ever see what they do to deer ! Same thing gonna happen to a human target . But if your sitting on a pile of 30/30 bullets sure load them up with a saftely reduced load to 30/30 speeds its killed a pile of animals over the years too .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast