RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rotometal super hard alloy

Boolit Bub

Rotometal super hard alloy

Hello all been looking at old post on the super hard alloy i have about 1000# of soft lead bhn of 5-8 and around 8# of tin i have 10#of super hard on the way whats the best mix ratio to get a 15+ bhn aircooled still need to do an agehardness test on my pc bullets that i water dropped then powder coated the mix im using rightnow is 8# cww 6# mag shot 5# pure 1# tin it gives me a bhn of 16 at waterdrop after 2 days its reading 24bhn im just tring to get better accuracy out of my blackout at the time i was working on loads i couldn't push the 155gr over 1600fps without groups opening up with a 12bhn bullet sorry for rambling on just wanting to pick the brains the a mad alloy mixing wizards in here

Banned
    This might help, Lead Alloy Calculators 070612 (with 17 custom alloys), http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2883499

Boolit Master

Use the lead alloy calculator. great little asset to have when you are mixing up alloys without having to do the long math by pen and paper.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

1# S-H to 10# pure should get you there. Use the tin if you must. WD after you PC to get harder. Some shot for As will help speed up the process also.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone for the replys my alloy and freechex 3 was delivered today now i need an arborpress ans aluminum flashing the right thickness and ill be set up

Boolit Buddy
    25# pure 5# super hard and 1.5# tin is almost exactly Lyman #2 which will be right at 15bhn.

I like number 2 for almost everything, Montana, did you do that on the alloy calculator or did you read it somewhere like the lyman book, I know they have some alloy recipes in their book somewhere.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    Read Bumpo's instructions below the calculator link carefully, the calculator does have a few quirks.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the alloy calulator

and ....did you check out the O.P's recipe? off the top of my head he got the tin right at 5%, just didn't have the brainpower to figure if he would be close to 5% with the sb.

just to clarify that last post, I was doing the numbers in MY head and I was saying I just didn't have the brain power,lol I saw it today and it didn't read like I was thinking and didn't want to offend anyone

Boolit Bub
    I ended up going 60# pure 10#superhard and 4# tin bullets water dropped at 20 bhn 8 minutes after castmaybe +-on bhn mixed it after a 12hr shift and a pot of coffee hard to hold the lee scope steadyto read the bhn

That's about what I use for the full speed 308W, drop down a % for BO. WD after you PC to get the BHN back up, if you need it. I push a 145gr to 2100 in my carbine using isocore AC, It's 3% Sb and I add a tad of Cu.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    The hardest bullets i have ran through it have been straight cww think it was 12bhn but if i push them faster the 1600-1700 haven't had time to set up the crony the accuracy is gone thats my i took on the quest of trying to get the most bhn every time i bumped the bhn up accuracy had got better right now im getting 1" groups at 65yrd 2"-3" at 225 yrds but with 12.5 gr of h110 but if i cant get it any tighter ill try it in the 30 30 and m1 carbine or drop it down for pistols even a 12 bhn wasnt very impressive on waterjugs but was better then the 155 amax did pushing it at 1700 use to my 7mag destroying anything jug it hits out to 700yrds nut i got 7 days vacation next week to load and shoot and get some more sleep and less coffee befor sitting behind the trigger

Side Note:
    I broke out my Carbine Tree lead hardness tester today. Checked my Rotometals Super Hard alloy which came in between 14-15 BHN. I was expecting it to be near 36 BHN.

Roto says that testing an ingot doesn't work due to grain struct. of the high Sb alloy.
    Should be 36 or so.
    Whatever!