Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: More Good Iron Saved From The Scrapers!

Boolit Master

More Good Iron Saved From The Scrapers!

It seems things come in bunches .....

I had been lamenting to a neighbor about missing a big mill in the year before sale that only went for $325 w/ tooling.

He brings me a clipping of a sell off from my area that included two mills. I call and guy is giving me the !!!!!xxxxx of a deal pitch and starts dropping his price and I have not even gotten up to go look at it!

I am looking at these machines but not figuring things out and the guy thinks I am arm twisting but I was really just puzzled about one of the mills.

In all my confusion he drops his price to 400 for both mills.

Now one other diamond in the rough catches my eye and he throws it in for $25.

So here's what I got: A Brown & Sharpe model 3A Universal Standard horizontal mill and a Cincinnati automatic 24, also a horizontal, along with a Sunnen Hone.

When we scaled in back home we were at 11660# net including a few other goodies. Needless to say we took our time with that load!

The B&S mill has it's universal head with it to turn it into a vertical mill however the arbor support is not there.

The guy I dealt with is reasonably confident a kid who bought the lathe could have that part as he got a whole apple bin of goodies with his purchase and the kid's father is a good friend of the guy selling the stuff off. I am really going to need that support but worst case scenario I would much rather be looking for a support than a vertical head.

Another tid bit came out in that these machines came from a machine shop family we know well. The son teaches at the local highly regarded tech school. I know he will help with questions. No telling how much of our work they did for us over the years ended up on one or both of these mills?

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-15-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You might contact Browne and Sharpe as they wont have it but may have the drawings and be willing to make you a support. It wont be cheap but will be better than what you have now. Those old horizontal mills will do a lot of work in a day once they are learned. Very few know know the horizontal mills, shapers Blanchard grinders or vertical lathes that were the mainstay 75 years ago.

Boolit Master

Probably better to have them scraped to improve accuracy than to have them scrapped.

Boolit Master
    country gent,

I will keep that in mind if the fellow who bought the apple bin of goodies with the lathe does not have it.

I have been watching a lot of on line videos and reading a lot about horizontal mills and am utterly amazed at what can be done with one. Since the Brown & Sharpe also is a universal and head is with it thus turning it into a heavy duty vertical makes it that much sweeter! I could still see a vertical mill in addition though because switching back and forth would require some time and effort.

ulav8ar,

I watched some amount of U Tube on scraping and it's fascinating but I will reserve judgement until 1) I see how well these machines perform as they are and 2) I gain enough proficiency to warrant that much precision.

But .... in the mean time it is nice to know that the capability is there to take things to the next level!

BTW, I tried to mind my "p's and q's" and edit the title and forum won't allow it. Lol!

Thanks all!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-15-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    The reason I was puzzled before I bought these mills was that the Cincinnati horizontal has a different layout. It consists of a long narrow table that only travels longitudinally and the other axis's are adjusted by moving the spindle.

Now, the kicker: The Cincinnati I bought has two heads. A horizontal head is situated on either side of the long narrow table, each with it's own motor and each indepently adjustable of each other.

Anyone have an idea what class of horizontal mill this is and what it is used for?

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-15-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Boolit Master

A plant I worked in in 1995 had a horizontal with heads on opposite sides of the table like that. It allowed for more throughput, it machined both sides of a part with one setup. It was not in my departments so I don't remember what parts were being run on it.

Boolit Master
    ulav8r,

Makes sense! The duplex mill I now own has a third motor for running the table.

Thanks

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.