RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Recommend for Coyote?

Banned
    I know this is a gun forum but a crossbow is wicked effective and super quiet. I'd have a 9mm (or bigger) as a backup

Boolit Master
    The CCI Stinger is a light weight bullet but it reaches its max velocity in barrels under 16" in length. Not sure of velocity in pistol barrels but it seems to be higher than you'd get from other .22 LR rounds. The bullet expands very rapidly.

On an animal the size of a Coyote I'd only go for a brain pan shot. Study the structure of the animal's skull before planning on using a .22 revolver. A Pit bull in a city near here shrugged off a .38 slug in the head that from appearances should have entered the brain but probably did not due to the shape of the skull. Black bear have similar odd skull shapes, more like that of a dog than like that of other bear, a bullet through the eye socket of a Blackie can miss the brain completely.

Boolit Master

If you poke one in the chest at ten feet with any .22 bullet, they will leave. I've encountered several at handshake distance and none of them wasted anytime leaving the vicinity. A coyote isn't one to go around attacking people but they will eat your dog or cat if that concerns you. If you just want something to carry while your walking your dog your .22 is plenty. If your intention is to hunt them, might leave your Colt at the house and bring something a bit more hefty. Just another opinion.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I live out in the country and the coyotes have grown in numbers. When I walk my dog almost every evening.I carry a Ruger single-six and it holds 6 CCI.22 magnums.I know yours only holds.22lr I would use no less than CCI Stingers.

Boolit Buddy
    10 feet ? Any 22 ammo. Shoot them in the head or boiler room. And they are yoast

I have shot coyotes with a 22 LR HP, a 300 Weatherby Mag and about a dozen calibers in between. All have done their job and produced dead coyotes.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    Don't even try for a head shot only. Very easy to miss. Been there and missed.
    Things are happening very fast. Get the most powerful 22lr. you can find.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by comprschrg; 10-27-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Either 36 grain MiniMag Hollowpoints or Winchester 42 grain Maxx Hollowpoints. Either whacks pretty hard and expand well in my experience. I would test them over a chronograph and for accuracy out of your Peacemaker. Those should be the determining factors, speed and accuracy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12