Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastco
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Recommend for Coyote?

Boolit Master

What Do You Recommend for Coyote?

Just got in from walking the dog, came within 10 feet of a coyote. I live in town but our rabbit population has blossomed as predictably the coyotes have too. I had a Colt's .22 Peacemaker and was just thinking that the quite CCI ammo isnt really enough for a coyote. I've got some CCI standard velocity and some Federal high velocity, both 40 gr. lead boolits. I'm thinking I've got to buy some ammo. And recommendations?

Boolit Master

If keeping the volume down is a concern, try aguilla (sp) sub sonic sniper. Basically an extra long 60 grain bullet on a 22 short brass. Some guns don't shoot them well due to the long bullet, but if yours does, it is an impressive thumper. If noise is a non issue, Remington yellow jacket (hp) or viper (solid) are remarkably brutal and I get better accuracy than the Cci mini-mag.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Noise isn't as big a concern with coyotes, even my liberal neighbohood is on the side of the dog owner when it comes to coyotes. I had the quiet ammo loaded earlier for raccoon. I need a coyote boolit.

Boolit Master

I use 22CCi mini mag shorts
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

If your colt has the second cylinder in 22 mag that may be a better choice for coyotes with the 45-50 grn bullets. Otherwise try velocitors or others with 40-43 grn bullets and standard velocity. I don't believe I would trust most of the hollow points for this size game either as penetration may be lacking. WIth what your wanting accuracy is going to be paramount over the rest though.

Boolit Master
    My Colt's didn't come with the magnum cylinder, I bought it used. My first Colt's .22 Peacemaker which I purchased new in 1974 did come with the magnum cylinder however it would not fire reliably. One firing pin strike position on a rim fire with two different sized diameter rims is the recipe for problems.

Boolit Master
    Agree that the cci quiet isn't enough. I would suggest the standard velocity. If short range is going to be the norm, I don't think you would notice much difference in effect compared to high vel, just A bit less noise.
    NRA life member

LB

Salt and catsup lots of catsup.
    (sorry I couldn't resist)

I'd go bigger 357 w/ 158 gr hp, especially if you are threatened, other wise probably a velocitor. I've seen them killed with a 22 mag too.
    Last edited by Minerat; 06-20-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I used to hunt coyotes with a 17 HMR. I was surprised at how effective it was. Now I do not know how that translates to a 22 from a handgun but I guess my point is that even with that tiny bullet they dropped easily. For those instances that I ran into a coyote and was not hunting them , stomping my foot and saying "get outa' here" worked.

Boolit Master
    Velocitor...heavier boolit, higher velocity...what's not to like? Should do well from your revolver, especially if shorter range is included in the mix. and if Magnum isn't an option!

A I don't think most true Coyotes would attack a healthy adult. But If they were defending a den I would suggest backing away, slowly.

B If your going to carry because you are concerned, screw the noise.
    CCI Mini Mags, .22 mag is better yet. Loud as heck, cracks like God's own thunderbolt. But it will do the job.

C There are hybrids in some area's that do not follow the rules. They will attack if they are in the mood. If this apply's to you I would say 15 round 9mm semi auto would be a better choice. And even more so forget about the noise.

If you have to shoot one, you pay your fine and count it cheaper than a long hospital stay and recovery/rehab.

Them critters are smart, If they are legal in your location a nice .22 air rifle may be a better choice. They know what rifles are, and what they do.

Hot Dog in one hand and a baseball bat in the other......works every time, and no noise except for a low thump

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Howler View Post
    Hot Dog in one hand and a baseball bat in the other......works every time, and no noise except for a low thump
    Not sure I want a yote that close to me, but it would be sporting... sporting a missing hand, or sporting bite marks to the elbow
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I use 22CCi mini mag shorts
    This I had in issues with some Raccoons
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Mini Mag hollow point. Aim for the front half and keep shooting if the background is clear. If the police come, you won't appear that menacing with that .22 SA as you would with a wonder nine!

Banned
    bear spray

Boolit Master

.22 with a can.

Boolit Master
    Forget 22 for me as I do not have room as my Kimber 45 takes up most room on my belt every day all day ,and adding a small caliber would just confuse me

Boolit Buddy
    Aquilla Super Maximum solids. Close to 22 Mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast