Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Your opinions/experiences with Lyman 452488 in 45acp wanted

Your opinions/experiences with Lyman 452488 in 45acp wanted

I am in the process of acquiring a Lyman 4 cavity mold in 452488. The intended use will be in 45ACP.
    I expect it will drop at very near 200 grains so powder load data won't be an issue.
    I would like to hear about successes or problems you may have had with this boolit in your pistol.
    So far my pistol feeds Lee's 200 grain SWC(H&G 68 clone) and the NOE 452-155-SWC quite well but this one is a different boolit. Any special techniques or tips would be greatly appreciated as I have no real desire to re-invent what someone else has already figured out.
    Suggested OAL would also help.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    tazman

Boolit Master
    Very accurate bullet in .45 ACP & Auto Rim, maybe the equal of #68, but it won't feed reliably through a couple of unmodified 1911s.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't have recent experience with the Lyman 452488 but looking at it, the nose is shorter than the #68 and it may need .060" or thereabouts of the shoulder sitting proud of the case mouth to feed smoothly, if your barrel will plunk one with that much shoulder it should be good. If you have to seat it almost to the case mouth to get it to plunk, it may be quite prone to 3 point jams.

Many years ago I used some of the 452488 that I got at a gun show, and they worked well best I can remember. Barrels were made different back then too, and you used to never have to pull a barrel and do a plunk test, stuff just worked better with older barrels. Most of the barrels I used came off tables at gun shows, NOS milspec mostly, never had an issue with them they just worked.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-14-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 double cavity 452488 and they feed just fine in my Colt 1911. The only thing I don't like about the boolit is it does not cut as clean a hole in the target as the 452460 does.

Boolit Master
    I tried different seating depths with #452488 in hopes of getting it to feed reliably; no luck. Minor throating work would probably correct the problem, but I've used a SAECO #069 (#68 copy) for many years with complete satisfaction. It's accurate and feeds perfectly in any 1911.

Banned
    Not to be discouraging but, I have had bad luck with the newer Lyman 4 cavity molds. The last one I got was over 4 thou difference between the cavities and none of the cavities were the same diamiter / weight. After many rounds of lementing I finally got them the same diamiter.

Boolit Master
    I like it in my Ruger convertible but if I recall correctly, it wouldn't feed reliably in the Sig P220.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master

It works in the five pistols I've tried it in. Four 1911 pistols and a S&W Shield. Matter of fact we even ran it through a Glock 36.

I plan on hitting the range tomorrow morning and burning a few hundred of them over 4 grs of IMR Target.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

The mold arrived today. I have some cast up and sized. I will try to get some loaded over the weekend.
    Range time will be on Monday for me. They should be hard enough by then.

Boolit Buddy
    This boolit will feed well and allow flawless ejection of the empty case from a Glock 30.

I got to the range today with the new 452488 boolits. They fed through my 1911 just fine.
    I had loaded 50 rounds and they shot about the same accuracy as the Lee H&G68 clone.
    I would like to just use one 200 grain mold but they both work well. I don't know which is better yet. I guess I will just have to shoot them both until something points to one of them as better.