One thing some one should have mentioned, try sleeping with a pillow between your knees. I had a bad knee, had a partial replacement. That really took care of a lot of pain. Shoulders are i'm told by my friends, the worst surgery , followed by knee's, then hips. Before my surgery, i found i was forcing my knees against each other in my sleep. So, before and every since my surgery i sleep with a pillow between my knees. It helps a lot, give it a try. I wouldn't mess around, get checked out for knee surgery if that's what you need, get it done. Deal with the pain, and you'll really be glad you did in about 4-6 wks. After a year, or so, get the other done. Trust me, it'll help you AND your family. I had my left hip done last May, what a huge difference it made in me, both mentally, and physically, i feel like a new, and much happier person. I was about to go off the deep end with pain. Now, I don't jump on people, and family like i used to, I'm almost pain free, and I'm a whole lot happier too. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Just my opinion.