Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Under heated PC

Boolit Buddy

Under heated PC

Always use an oven thermometer till you've proven your temp settings!!

I've been powder coating for a couple years for my 25-20WCF with great success, and just got started with a new 45acp. I've noticed a faint gray line along the lands on the 45 that is hard to get out. These bullets passed the smash test as well as a couple swipes with acetone on a rag. After seeing the residue in the 45 barrel I wet a rag with acetone and kept rubbing the bullet, about a minute in I started seeing color on the rag and then the whole area I was rubbing wiped off.
    That led me to believe they weren't fully cured. Maybe the extra mass of the 45 bullets were soaking up more heat than the little 25s. I had checked the oven empty and noted it was 15-20 degrees hotter than the temp setting. I tend to load up the tray with as many as I can stand up with finger room around them.
    Thinking I was overloading the Black &Decker toaster oven, I put the thermometer on the tray and stacked 100+ already cooked bullets around it and put it in at my normal 400 degrees for 20 Minutes. I drug up a seat and a flashlight to watch the thermometer, something I hadn't done in the past. By the time it was down to 15 minutes it was only at 250 degrees, but the thermostat was cycling on and off. At 10 minutes it was barely up to 320, 350 by 5 minutes to go. I then turned the temperature dial up to 450. It didn't take long to pass 400 and by the time it hit 425 I started turning the dial down little by little. I ended up with it back at 400 for the remainder of the required 10 minute soak time.
    I think I'm going to experiment a little, put a new batch in and turn it to 450 till the thermometer gets to 400, then back off to 400 on the dial for 10 minutes. Or maybe just set it at 410-415 for 30 minutes or so and watch it again. The oven had been pre-heated for about 10 minutes before I started.

Would re-heating the bullets I've already coated cause any harm or do any good?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have reheated uncured boolits and they cured just fine the second time. (power went out halfway through curing the first time)
    I would bet it works for you. Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning.

Banned
    Toaster ovens work but--- you need to limit the amt of bullets you bake at one time because, without the air circulation fan, large loads won't cure properly.
    To set my oven temperature, I set and oven thermometer in the middle of the shelf I intend to bake on then adjust the oven temperature until the thermometer reaches 400* when the oven is turned on.

Boolit Master
    I got a convection toaster oven... that fan makes all the difference!

Boolit Buddy
    I've been working this morning with a thermometer in the middle of the tray making sure it gets to 400-425 and then soaking for at least 10 minutes. I know that's only measuring that one spot, but it's better than before.This oven only has one rack, with a heating element above and below the tray. It takes nearly 15 minutes to heat up to 400. Been standing 150+ bullets on the tray per heat, we'll see.

If I have read it correct...it say's to cook 15 (+/-) after the bullets reaching the desired temperature. I think people are confusing this with cook time..It may take 7 minutes to get to temperature and then add 15. Round numbers but hope you get my point.. My pan's of 150 bullets usually take 25 minutes.

I'm A Honcho!
    I re-cook undercured and boolits too (stuck) together with great results. Even if the temp is right, trying to pile on too many bullets at once keeps the ones in the center from flow-out then cure with the ones around the edges.

A few failures lead to these findings. YMMV!
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.