Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found Remington 552 today.

Boolit Master

Found Remington 552 today.

I had two of these .22 semi autos but I also have two sons. So both sons got one and dad had none. Well until today anyway. Found one for pretty cheap in a pawn shop. Looked a little rough but even I was surprised when I took it apart.

This thing must have been working for awhile but it was the dirtiest gun I've ever purchased. Cleaned up fine after an hours effort, hope to get it to the range now to see if it actually works. (-:}

Hope it works after all the cleaning. I really like the 552's, not as "cool" as a 10-22, not as accurate as some, not as cheap either but still a lot of fun to shoot. I did see a much nicer one but it was way too expensive for a plinker.

Now the three of us can have some informal matches on equal footing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1942.jpg  

Boolit Master

I have a 550-1 that came to me almost as dirty as yours.
    Like it almost as much as my 511
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I never experience the "joy" of cleaning a 552 , are they as much fun as the nylon 66? Yep just a little sarcasm there ... not meaning to hurt any feelin's

Now show them young'uns that old dad can still shoot .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

The 552 is a good shooter along with other older 500 series models. Like WebMonkey I favor the 550-1 and all the bolt 22s of that era. I know you will enjoy those times at the range with your sons.

wcp4570

In Remembrance

Way back when a friend of mine bought a new 552. I was still on the farm and had a 550-1. My friend and I were the terror of the rats in the town dump (back when everybody had a town dump) as well as bottles and cans. I didn`t shoot as much as he did, about a brick every other day! It took about 25 years to do it but he actually wore out the action of that rifle. We cleaned it every so often to keep the carbon from building up. The parts were just plain worn down so much as to make it unsafe to shoot. The gunshop cost to replace and repair the rifle was about twice what a new one cost. Robert

Boolit Master
    Still waiting to get this one to the range, we have been rained out on our normal weekly range day two weeks in a row. I live in the desert, that has never happened before.

I left Midland TX in 1996 for Indiana. Anyway, I cleaned a friends 552 ( had not been cleaned in 20 years) that looked like yours when we took it apart and it still worked about 95% of the time. He is now a sort of gun guy and knows guns need to be cleaned from time to time. In fact he shoots a Beretta semi auto shotgun and can clean it without looking in the manual now. The adult size 552 is one accurate shooting and good feeling 22 that in my opinion I would grab over a 10-22. Is yours the shorter barrel or the longer 24 in. barrel?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    ..., not as "cool" as a 10-22, ...
    Depends on the person. I'd take a vintage 552 over a 10/22 with so many fake add-on toys any day. Excellent score.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

First rifle purchased was a 552 BDL. It has it's own labeled space in my safe, right beside Dads Winchester 62 pump.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

My sister's boyfriend back in the day had a 552 with the deflector removed. And a Sweet16 Browning and a model 70 varmint .243. He was a hunting/shooting mentor of the first order. That's the only 552 I've ever fired but I must've been impressed to remember it 45 yrs later!

Boolit Buddy
    The rounds I put thru a 552A Speedmaster back when I was a kid. It would hold a bunch of 22 shorts.

Bought my 552 used, didn't have the deflector. I'm always amused to see it throw the empty cases 15 feet. actually like it that way.

Boolit Master
    Got the 552 to the range today and it's quite a shooter for the mileage on it. I guess it's hard to wear out a .22.. Shot a few hundred rounds through it. Functioned 100% and seemed accurate enough (shooting various distances on a silhouette range).

Pill bug, that deflector is cheap on ebay. Mine was missing the the little cap under the action. It cost me $9 delivered for a replacement.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington 552 speedmasters.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	201648

I bought two rem 552s in 2013
    1968 ask $225, paid $200
    1973 ask $280, paid $220, just put a $20 scope on it.

I don't think I have shot either one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington 552 speedmasters.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	201648

I bought two rem 552s in 2013
    1968 ask $225, paid $200
    1973 ask $280, paid $220, just put a $20 scope on it.

I don't think I have shot either one.
    Why spend almost $400+ on something, especially a .22 you aren't going to use? They are such nice little rifles, they deserve to be used..

I just bought a 552 along with a Remington 870 express 12 ga for $100. Guy got a felony and needed to get rid of his guns. He said the .22 didn't work but the shotgun was like new and wanted $100 for both so I bought them sight unseen. Went to his moms house and picked them up. Shotgun looks brand new but the 552 was well used and looked like the first pic above. I tore it down and cleaned it all up but haven't had time to shoot it yet. Going to keep it for my grandson.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Master
    Just got another 552. It had a bent feed tube and the guy that had the gun shop said it did not function. Got it for $50, took it home and straightened the feed tube and it works but binds. Found a good feed tube (outer tube is the one that was bent up) for another $25. Stock is a mess but the bore is perfect. should be a shooter, maybe ugly but for the price I can deal with it. (-:}

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I never experience the "joy" of cleaning a 552 , are they as much fun as the nylon 66? Yep just a little sarcasm there ... not meaning to hurt any feelin's

Jack
    I had a Nylon 66. Sold it to buy diapers & formula. Used to roll Pepsi cans at 35 yds from the hip with it. First time I tried to clean it, I did more than remove cover. Had to go to Dick Williams for re-assembly. I miss that rifle ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have two.... My dads ADL he had when I was a boy, and the first BDL I saw after I was old enough to afford my own. Both of them have killed more game than you can imagine.
    If used carefully, they will take much larger animals than many people realize, as my daughter has demonstrated on several occasions. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	223948

My FIL gave me a 552 BDL that he got after his FIL died. He had carried it in his truck for god knows how many years and shot tens of thousands of rounds and had never gotten around to cleaning it. My FIL gave it to me because it would jam every time. Took a lot of cleaning and had to polish a lot of burrs off of the bolt and replace the trigger assy (and the missing deflector) but I wouldn't trade her for the world now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast