Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 788 7mm-08, new to me.

Boolit Master
    Finally got a few minutes to take some pics.. There are a few dents and dings on this one. The stock also seems to have some interesting grain. I might try to refinish the stock an see if I can bring some of that out. I figure these will never have collector value so redoing the stock shouldn't be too big of a deal assuming I keep it (leaning that way).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a209_4621.jpg   a209_4623.jpg   a209_4611.jpg   a209_4613.jpg   a209_4614.jpg  

Looks ready to get in the truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Looks ready to get in the truck!
    Well, Remington certainly made these to be used. This doesn't seem to have been treated as intended. Maybe someone got a deal on a deer hunt, carried it on one hunt and stuck it in the closet. Bore was almost filled with dust when I got it. A few patches of bore cleaner came out clean with no copper showing. Blueing not even worn off the bolt lugs. A true closet queen. Maybe I can remedy some of that..

I call seconds behid Cheater!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Kinda looks like it was a truck gun.

Had one about 30yrs ago. I liked it. Fired all jacketed in it since in those days I was after velocity. Fairly accurate too.

Starline is now making 7mm-08 brass now you should be able to find some.I bought a 700 BDL stainless a few years ago and it is the most accurate out of the box production rifle I own.The rifle thrives on 140 gr. Combined technologies bullets and IMR 4064.I have since restocked, pillar/glass bedded and a Timney trigger, it is now my go to rifle for Antelope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Starline is now making 7mm-08 brass now you should be able to find some.I bought a 700 BDL stainless a few years ago and it is the most accurate out of the box production rifle I own.The rifle thrives on 140 gr. Combined technologies bullets and IMR 4064.I have since restocked, pillar/glass bedded and a Timney trigger, it is now my go to rifle for Antelope.
    What's the barrel length. I'm curious how the 18" barrel will do in the accuracy dept and also how powder burn rates will affect it. Probably lean towards the faster powders with the carbine length barrel. I love the way it feels in hand. Leaning more and more towards keeping it.

Banned
    1. Do NOT use 7 x 57 (7mm Mauser) load data. There is plenty of 7mm-08 data available.
    2. That 18" barrel will give you good results. You'll lose a little velocity but it's still very useful in 7mm-08
    3. The 788 was a great design. Multiple rear locking lugs, neat 3 round magazine, strong receiver, handy rifle - what's not to love ?
    4. The 7mm-08 is a fantastic cartridge that does a lot of things very well. It's very popular here in Virginia. Flat shooting, good selection of bullets available, low recoil, good terminal performance. It really excels on many levels.

Good Find !

Boolit Master
    Any thoughts on how much range I'm going to loose with an 18" barrel? I'm looking at maybe trying to use it for some steel plate shooting at a max of 500 yds. Most of the plates I shoot are 200/300yds. I can hit the 200 yd plate with my old .22 Winchester 1890 so I don't think that's an issue but 500yds might be. Guess the only real way to tell is going to be to try it. If the short barrel causes any accuracy issues, it may be a moot point.

Banned
    I can't give exact numbers off the top of my head but people shoot Remington XP-100's and T/C Contenders at long ranges. A 7mm-08 out of an 18" barrel is still a useful round and then some.

Vendor Sponsor

With a good trigger, very good scope and a steady rest 500 yds is no issue to make a 1-2 moa shot with 788 in 7-08 and a quality handload with jacketed bullets
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 07-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    the stock is best left the way it is stock is popular and is soft wood it will be very hard to finish been there
    the best cast i have found is the lyman 287442 ,i use the lee lube works good . try to stay in the 140 gr for cast or jacket . it will shoot both as good as you can
    make sure you keep a good lube on the back lock lugs
    last get the 7mm-08 brass dont try to resize for it 243 will split and 308 will not chamber all the time

My brother gave my son a 788 in 7-08 a number of years back, It was missing the magazine and front sight. I found the needed parts and replaced the stock, that my brother "tried" to refinish" with a black synthetic one my son wanted. Bought a box of Rem 140 gr factory ammo and it shoots 1" all day long. Never bothered to load for it since it would of just a waste of my time to work up duplicate accuracy loads for deer. He took a number of deer with it when he hunted. I did load some 115 gr varmint loads that shoot just as good.

Components are easy to find. Only problem I have is prices for the 788 really jumped the last few years. I still want one in .222 and .243 but funds have been diverted to other projects. You won't regret the rifle. Old "rumor" was rem quit making them because the bargain rifle was outshooting their 700. But like I said, popular story
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

The stock is Birch. It was called "Walnut finished hardwood" by Remington. It's not pretty but it is not soft either. It is most definitely not Poplar. There are many ways to refinish Birch to make it more attractive. A straight Tru-Oil refinish Birch stock is yellowish- lots of guns nicknamed Old Yeller as a result.
    Arlon- just because it's a hundred&hot outside doesn't mean you can't give us a shooting report!
    You know I'm kidding. Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The stock is Birch. It was called "Walnut finished hardwood" by Remington. It's not pretty but it is not soft either. It is most definitely not Poplar. There are many ways to refinish Birch to make it more attractive. A straight Tru-Oil refinish Birch stock is yellowish- lots of guns nicknamed Old Yeller as a result.
    Arlon- just because it's a hundred&hot outside doesn't mean you can't give us a shooting report!
    You know I'm kidding. Thomas.
    I have several other projects going on. Since I can't find ammo for less the $40 a box here and I don't have anything for reloading/casting it's probably going to be setting on the back burner until I run across a deal on dies, molds and such.

I'd like to go with a straight light oiled stock. I have always liked using BLO cut about 50/50 with mineral spirits. Takes a month to get it to start looking right but with enough patience and light coats (not enough to clog the woods pores) it seems to work well and not slick/slippery. Not as pretty but I like the grip on lightly oil finished wood. Military had the right idea. Soon enough, It will take on a darker stain from sweat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12