Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersPBcastco
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Using a Dillon 550 as a single stage, thoughts?

Using a Dillon 550 as a single stage, thoughts?

I've been reloading my rifle ammunition on a RCBS Rockchucker, and my pistol ammo on a Dillon 550 for years now. Happy with that set up.
    Last week, I came into another 550 at a price I couldn't pass up. I thought it might be nice to leave one set up for large primers, and one for small.
    Trouble is, no matter how I slice it, my small reloading bench only has room for two presses.
    I'm thinking to mount the second 550, and try to use it for my rifle ammo, as a single stage or sometimes as a turret.
    I'm interested in hearing from anyone who uses a 550 this way, what are the drawbacks, problems, etc that you've run into.
    I tend not to load large batches of rifle ammo. Most of my rifles are bolt guns, and I usually load 50-100r at a time, per caliber.

Boolit Master
    Just use it as it was designed regardless of the caliber. I've seen guys loading 45-70s on them. As long as you're not trying to load up five or ten of something to try, they work great for anything. The only downside to small batches is just setting it up and that's not even a big deal. I think having two set up for different calibers is a great idea.

Boolit Master
    There may be a third option to consider. I use inline fabrication quick change mount so on the same piece of bench real estate I have my 550b, my coax, and my super swage. The others are stored on a wall bracket.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Reddirt62 beat me to it. Inline Fabrication mounts solve the problem.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Mold
    I use my 550 just as you describe. Single stage when loading rifle. As a turret when loading pistol. No problems and saves me from having too may presses, parts, etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I second the recommendation for a quick change mount for the second 550 and single station press. For using a 550 as a single station press, you might consider the UniqueTek Solo conversion kit, since you already have single stage shell holders:

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1553

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Inline Fabrication mounts. I have one on my bench in the basement and one on the bench in the garage. Allows me to use all the presses anywhere. The garage gets cold in the winter so I built a small bench in the basement.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I like the idea for press removal and storage , great stuff there . But I have in a few odd situations loaded with my 550 as a single stage .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Then there's this conversion, half tempted honestly!
    http://uniquetek.com/product/T1553

Boolit Bub
    I got a single stage conversion kit for my 650 off eBay. It's a good way to go!

Boolit Master

If someone doesn't have room on his bench for the presses he wants, then he needs a bigger bench.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned

Ive used mine as a single stage a few times and it works fine. that said I rarely do it because I already have a couple single stage presses but if a guy only had a 550 he sure could use it that way.

I use all my progressives as single stages as I set them up. The 550 I setup like 4 single stages, the 650 like 5 single stages. Set each station one at a time with only a single case in the shell plate.

Thanks for the insights, guys, I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm going to try it, what the heck.
    I wish I had room for a bigger bench, but alas, what I have is what I have.

I use my 550 to push thru size my cast bullets because the CO-AX prevents using the catch container. I've also used it for the Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller for the same reason.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

I love my inline fabrication mount as well.

The 550 is nearly a deluxe turret press anyway, shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I call my 550 an upside down turret press. However one thing about a 550 is that it's heavily right handed in that you can't load cases with your left hand like all single stages are made to accomdate. Maybe with the SS attachment on the 550 it could be made to work but I'd rather have a much cheaper, stronger, more precise, more versatile and more ergonomic SS press.

Sell the 550, and buy components. Or maybe a Redding T7?

Boolit Buddy

Oh
    I could make that easy, I'll trade you my T7 and 3 turrets for the 550 even up. I'll even throw in the plate for the inline fabrication quick change setup.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LOL, you guys are terrible
    I will work something out, eventually, with both 550's and the Rockchucker. It's a nice problem to have.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Terrible you say !?! shocked I tell you just Shocked !!! OK so they encourage you to spend maybe a little more than you planned . They'll make it up to you by giving the recipe for the world's cheapest bullet lube

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter