WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loverin article???

Loverin article???

Some time back I ran across a short article in an older gun mag or reloading manual that gave history and technical notes for the bullets designed by Guy de Loverin. In the day, these bullets became well-known through Lyman's molds and even today are held in high regard by some older shooters.

I should have noted or copied this article but didn't, and now I can't recall where the article appeared. Does anyone here know about such an article? It might have been something as short as a sidebar or single column that appeared in another article on CBs. This could have appeared in Handloader Magazine, American Rifleman, or ??? The publication was NOT an early Lyman Casting Handbook because I've never seen a copy of one.

The internet has plenty of references to Loverin bullets but none I've read so far contain the same materials as the mystery piece I'm trying to locate.

Thanks. PBSmith
    Last edited by PBSmith; 06-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Perma-Banned
    Get a copy of the original sprial bound Lyman cast bullet book (not cheap) his bullets are well covered in it.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-bullet-design

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-H-Guy-Loverin

Take a look at these threads. There were some links and a lot of information.

Boolit Master

I have loverin molds in both 7mm and .30. Those will stay with me til the day I die. The 150 gr .30 is the absolute best bullet I've ever found for MY .30-30.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    SNIP...
    The publication was NOT an early Lyman Casting Handbook because I've never seen a copy of one.
    I can't help you with your actual question, but if you have never seen one...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...let-handbook-1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

IIRC, the article you are looking for was in Handloader Magazine. Try going to their site and referencing back issues.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have never had a Louverin design bullet that would not shoot extremely well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have never had a Louverin design bullet that would not shoot extremely well.
    Amen and ditto to that!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

An article by G. Loverin is in this reprinted manual

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/...p?item_id=2949
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Thanks all for your responses and the links. I will have to search the old Handloader mags, and would also enjoy reading what the first Lyman Cast manual offers.

Did that first Lyman CB manual offer loadings for the 311466 asnd 311467 in .30-30, .30-40 Krag and .30-06?

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Thanks all for your responses and the links. I will have to search the old Handloader mags, and would also enjoy reading what the first Lyman Cast manual offers.

Did that first Lyman CB manual offer loadings for the 311466 asnd 311467 in .30-30, .30-40 Krag and .30-06?
    I have that book but would have to hunt it up. Most likely there were loads for the bullets in question for the 30-40 and 30-06 but not the 30-30. Those bullets were considered to pointy for the tubular magazine lever guns. Loverin took five grains of bullet weight off 311467 to form a flat and named it 311407 for use in tubular magazines.

Some years back I designed a modified version of 311407 and we did several group buys Lee six cavity molds. It has proven to be a very good design for bolt, single shot and leverguns. The body will cast out at .313 - .314 and the top two bands at .301 - .302. The top two bands will engrave on the rifling. This bullet can be sized down to .309 if need be. Just be certain to lube it before sizing.The lube in the grooves will keep the bands from smearing. N.O.E picked up this mold and carries it in their line of excellent molds.

This bullet has worked very well for me in most regular and fat 30 caliber rifles. It also does very well in short throat or no throat 30-30 leverguns.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...ha70gk7nfo9tj1
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have that book but would have to hunt it up. Most likely there were loads for the bullets in question for the 30-40 and 30-06 but not the 30-30. Those bullets were considered to pointy for the tubular magazine lever guns. Loverin took five grains of bullet weight off 311467 to form a flat and named it 311407 for use in tubular magazines.

Some years back I designed a modified version of 311407 and we did several group buys Lee six cavity molds. It has proven to be a very good design for bolt, single shot and leverguns. The body will cast out at .313 - .314 and the top two bands at .301 - .302. The top two bands will engrave on the rifling. This bullet can be sized down to .309 if need be. Just be certain to lube it before sizing.The lube in the grooves will keep the bands from smearing. N.O.E picked up this mold and carries it in their line of excellent molds.

This bullet has worked very well for me in most regular and fat 30 caliber rifles. It also does very well in short throat or no throat 30-30 leverguns.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...ha70gk7nfo9tj1
    Loverin bullets seem to be exceptionally accurate. I powder coat the 311465 and use it in 30-30, 308 , 30-40 and 30/06. It gives great accuracy on top of Unique or H335 at velocities below 1700 fps
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Loverin bullets seem to be exceptionally accurate. I powder coat the 311465 and use it in 30-30, 308 , 30-40 and 30/06. It gives great accuracy on top of Unique or H335 at velocities below 1700 fps
    While I am a fan of Loverin bullets, honesty compels me to say that they are no more accurate than other types of bullets. The fit of the bullet to the throat, barrel grooves and lands is what separates accurate shooting from inaccurate shooting all things being equal.

Considering the above, the Loverin bullets are far easier to fit than the long nose bore riders. Bullets with a tapered nose are also easier to fit than the long nose bore riders. But, when you get a long nose bore rider that truly fits, they will shoot like a house-a-fire.

Bottom Line: With a proper fit, all the various designs will shoot well, but proper fit is easier to achieve with some bullets designs than other.

I found the article I was referring to in my original post. It's just a short piece with a photo of Mr. Loverin. This appears in the 1961 Stoeger's Shooter's Bible (No. 52), pp. 250-251.

For me the most interesting part are illustrations of the Loverin bullets, from .22 cal on up to .458. If Stoeger has it right. and if I'm reading the article correctly, H. Guy Loverin designed all of the Lyman rifle bullets shown. I was shooting a Loverin .45-70 bullet 60 years ago and didn't even know it!

Moderator Emeritus

His Granddaughter joined here with some questions as whenever she googled the family name, Cast Boolits came up. She knew he was involved with shooting but no ideas what or how. She was shocked to hear members refer to him as St Guy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    His Granddaughter joined here with some questions as whenever she googled the family name, Cast Boolits came up. She knew he was involved with shooting but no ideas what or how. She was shocked to hear members refer to him as St Guy.
    I remember that thread. It was very interesting.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I remember that thread. It was very interesting.
    Me too. I think she only made a couple of posts. I think we were all hoping she would come back with more info.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Me too. I think she only made a couple of posts. I think we were all hoping she would come back with more info.
    Exactly!!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7