Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Construction-purchase furnace

Construction-purchase furnace

Good Morning to all,
    I would like know if one furnace like this it's in the market, if yes, where I can find it?
    Any factory/brand that produces casting machines also builds the furnace or is there a manufacturer that only makes furnaces?
    I would like to build a casting machine, I can do many things but the furnace with its automatic tap I would rather buy it already done.

Thank you for reading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melter2_zpslxnlpvre.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	197458

Boolit Bub
    Funny you should mention it. I'm in the slow process of building a casting machine too and a bigger bottom pour pot would be awesome. However the only one I have managed to find that will hold enough lead is this one from magma engineering...http://www.magmaengineering.com/cast-master/

But it's $550. They also have a 40lb pot for $600 ready to mount. I may just have to make a pot!

It can be done for less using a 6" or 8" pipe. Some parts of the build are easy for me but others are harder. Thinking maybe a double stack pot using the homemade one up top for bulk and refill lower pot like a LEE or something. Haven't worked it out yet but I am hoping for some pointers too for sure so I will be following.

I'm making a 3 die rotating machine. So molds will be up there in cost for the 5 calibers ill be casting. 15 molds....not cheap!

Thank you for reply,
    I have no idea if $ 550 is a fair price or not.
    Surely, if I do the euro accounts between shipping, duties and VAT, I would have to spend 1000 €

It is also true that if I had to wrap it in my workshop or do some work out, I would have to think of a tub (steel or stainless steel?) welded to the pot, the resistors around it, the insulation, the dispenser, the support, ecc.

1000 € maybe not enough

Boolit Master
    Jmorris built a casting machine from scratch, this included making the melting pot.

I have started the process of building my own melting pot, just one of those things i'll get back to when time allows. If you have the gear, it really isn't that hard to make one. Heating bands or cartridge heaters to do the melting, some 6 or so inch diameter pipe, insulation and you have the main parts.

There is no reason why you can't even use a cheap lee pot and use an air cylinder or electric solenoid to activate the pour.

You're right. I am not an expert in this field and I would not, in a short time, see the plate deformed, the welding cracked, the burnt resistances, and so on.

Please, have you a link to Jmorris job?

P.S. I have a old Lyman model 61, I think thath I will need something bigger.

Boolit Master
    A short video on youtube of his machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2U1ujg_nzo

I will send you a link to a post he made on a different forum, as i don't know if i should post it here or not, i'd rather not stand on any toes around here, i really enjoy this forum and don't want to cause any issues.

Thank You so much

Boolit Bub
    That's the automated single mold one! I haven't seen that one yet! I saw it before automation. Cool!

In this video it's a single station, sure.
    I would like to understand if it is cheap to buy or build the furnace.

Boolit Master
    To make a melting pot, if you have the gear, building is cheaper. From memory, he said the heating element was only $10 or $15, the rest would have been parts he had laying around.

You will want to insulate it, keep as much heat in as you can.

Raskebir, just wanted to ask, what is that picture under you name? it looks a little too much like an terrorist for me..... just curious not trying to start any trouble
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

the silence is eerie
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I knew that sooner or later it would have happened, no problem, I try to explain you better than I can.
    In 1982 the father of my best friend and his brother took us to a trip to the Sahara desert. He was an Iveco tester and spent his holidays driving the trucks in the desert. (They call fatigue tests)
    It was not a real vacation, because it had to do many kilometers a day, and it had to comply with the planned tests for the vehicles, but it was the most beautiful and profound experience of my life.

Since then, almost all the years I have returned to the desert.
    In 1984 I participated in my first Rallye des Pharaons, wow !!
    I participated in eleven editions organized by Fenouil and ten with JVD.
    I also did many trips to the Sahara alone and with my family and / or friends.

And . . . . unfortunately I can not go since 2007, I miss a lot, I'm honest!

The picture you see in my avatar is the stylized figure of a Tuareg used also on Paris-Dakar merchandising.

I conclude with a phrase by a famous European explorer, I hope to be able to translate the true meaning of words;

In the journey there is a certain flavor of freedom, simplicity ... a certain charm of the horizon without limits, of the path without return, of the night without roof, of life without superfluity.

- Théodore Monod

Banned

looks like the old furnace my buddy bought from a printing shop that used linotype printing.

Yes, it's true.
    I've been looking for this kind of furnace between those who handle used machinery, but . . . nothing!