Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data PBcastco

Thread: Issue With .22cal Checks, Lip Left On Base

Boolit Mold

Issue With .22cal Checks, Lip Left On Base

I'll try and get a picture uploaded, but I'm getting a lip on the bottom of my gas checks after seating them onto my Mihec 65gr NATO boolits. This occurs with my Lee .225" and my NOE .225" push through dies. The issue is worse with aluminum checks, but also occurs on copper checks. I believe the issue is the pushrod diameter being too small, at .220". Seems like the check material is forming into that .005" void between sizer die and pushrod. Any other ideas? I've tried sizing first and then running them through again to install the check, I've tried lube, powder coating first, making sure the check is fully seated before running them through. For now I'm stuck sizing base first.

Base first is how I often size. I also use a NOE chamfer tool to trim the base edges so I get a tight seating of the gas check. I also lube with a touch of Lee sizing lube. But I still get some that I hit with a file to deal with a bit of base lip.

I am setting gas checks before powder coating, which is one reason I use the Lee lube, washes off with hot water and once the bullets dry it doesn't give problems with powder coating. I'm using fairly hard lead so I don't notice distortion of the nose from doing base first. And from everything I have read base matters more than nose.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

problems with gas checks are why I have been investing in swagging dies, mucho dinero but it gives me better boolits in the smaller or faster calibers.

Boolit Mold
    Rogerdat, I also have that tool, but dont get a lot of flash generally. Do you use the top punch to size base first? I do, it's a challenge to keep everything aligned, and slow going g in general with tiny boolits. Lee will makeke me a custom pushrod for $20. I think it's worth it to test my hypothesis.

Moderator Emeritus

"Any other ideas? "

Thinner GC material.

When you are sizing down a projectile, the displaced metal has to go somewhere.
    So, if you can get your GC thickness (times 2) plus your boolits GC shank diameter, to be closer to .225 then there will be little to no metal displaced during sizing/crimping and eliminate this issue
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001