Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Almost done with Drill Instructor School!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Day 3 is done and I'm so grateful to have my boots off.
    Helps to have a pan of COLD water to put your feet into after the boots come off
    - shocking at first but in a couple of min you will feel better.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Believe me...since I did the tour there, as well as some others here... Gonna offer a bit of advice.

Change your socks for sure & at least a couple times a day.
    There is no trouble finding the time, just use "time management". LOL
    Even though you are gonna be a third or fourth "hat" , (if they still use those terms {Senior/Heavy/3rd Hat /4th Hat), you will find the time. Observe the Heavy & don't be afraid to ask questions of him & the Sr. ( NOt in front of the recruits)... You should have the time before ya pick up your first platoon. If not... Time management.."Make the time".

It would not hurt to have more than one pair of "broken in" boots, if ya don''t already. Not to forget shoes.... couple of pair of those also. Get good ones, if ya haven't already . I used "Corfam" ones. Don't know if they are still around or used much anymore, but they lasted & I think I only had one pair that eventually needed repair. You are gonna be on your feet 95-99% of the time. Take great care of them...

Lastly, an "also if ya haven't yet." deal. Get some of those real good shirts with the creases already fixed for ya. (I don't recall the name right now, I would have to go see if I had one or more in my old gear to find out). But the "brokedick" issue ones are not gonna cut it. They are only good for having one of the more Muscly DI's to wear when ya get introduced & then he can pop the buttons & split the sides right off the bat. LOL True stuff! Happened to me when I went in. DI Sgt Chambers( 3rd Hat) was his name. And it was also used by a few guys after I went to RTR as a DI. Great visual impact from the get go... Still LOL at the memories...

Lastly... Lime juice... I found it to be one of the best methods to tighten up your vocal cords when they get stretched & you are losing some of your voice. That use of your diaphragm to project a "command voice"(Grinder voice/Parade voice) works great, but it doesn't help the vocal cords when they get stressed & they WILL get stressed.... SOme guys sipped vinegar, but I preferred lime juice. Not too much , don't get sick on it, just once in a while...maybe couple times a day & sip water when if ya have to. (NOT around the recruits if ya can help it. < but that may have changed also.) Stay hydrated regardless...
    Anyway... after a while ya won't need anything anymore & your voice will likely permanently change ....LOL Another surprise of the duty. Not for all, but a lot of fellers...
    LOL
    ( this is kind of fun...)

Anyway, this type of stuff worked for me!
    There is more to be offered I am sure, but I will let some of the other fellers who pulled this tour in here too if they want.

Once again... G'Luck! & Best wishes to ya!

Semper Fi!

Boolit Master
    Outstanding advice, JBinMN and I thank you for it!! We still get issued corfram shoes. I'd rather have leathers, but then I would need all leather gear.

I have 4 pair of boots that I rotate through regularly and several pair of running shoes to rotate. My feet are my livelihood, a you know from experience. As to the drinking water thing, we are allowed to drink in front of Recruits and it I actually encouraged because it gets the recruits drinking. Things have changed a lot in the field from what I have been told and from what I see. Parris Island is dong it's best to eliminate hat hazing, and make life better for the Drill Instructors. Especially because of the issue Mr. Drake pointed out.

At the end of the day, a great product will still be produced on Parris Island.

Boolit Master
    I survived observation, lol. It was a physically demanding, but very rewarding experience. Graduation is Wednesday!! Never in my life did I ever think I would be here. I'm honestly still in awe by the whole process.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Fantastic! Really glad for you!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Stand tall & get some!

I'm a Navy dentist and am stationed at PI as well. The DIs have a hell of a tough job, if you need anything dental let me know.
    Last edited by kingstrider; 06-20-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I'm Late with this, but Congrats,Dick...Having crossed paths with you FTF, It's not a surprise that you graduate tomorrow... Hope to see you out west at least once again B4 my last sunset.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Perm-Banned
    wash your face often in salt water, talk like you have a bull frog stuck in your throat and kick every dog that gets in front of you, wake the troops up every morning by running a night stick around the inside of a GI can. if they cant pass barracks inspection dump every thing they all have out one window into a big pile and even a few bunks on top of that. if they get caught with tobacco in a none tobacco pocket make that recruit eat a whole pack of smokes. then ask him if he still likes tobacco. if he says yes, make him eat another one. i could go on and on, be hard as you can on them as they have to be able to handle it when the bullets start to fly. if you are training 70 recruits and you have a couple that need more attention than the rest. get rid of the ones that need more attention. i never ever want to go through another boot camp but im glad i went through the one i did.

Boolit Bub
    Another corpsman saying OHHRAA and Semper
    Fi

Doc Olive

je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I made it!! I graduated number 4 out of 66. Not bad for an old man (in Marine years). I will get some pictures up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    wash your face often in salt water, talk like you have a bull frog stuck in your throat and kick every dog that gets in front of you, wake the troops up every morning by running a night stick around the inside of a GI can. if they cant pass barracks inspection dump every thing they all have out one window into a big pile and even a few bunks on top of that. if they get caught with tobacco in a none tobacco pocket make that recruit eat a whole pack of smokes. then ask him if he still likes tobacco. if he says yes, make him eat another one. i could go on and on, be hard as you can on them as they have to be able to handle it when the bullets start to fly. if you are training 70 recruits and you have a couple that need more attention than the rest. get rid of the ones that need more attention. i never ever want to go through another boot camp but im glad i went through the one i did.
    What does the salt water wash do? Is it like the same affect as soaking your feet in Epsom salts? As for the other stuff, that stuff these days would get me thrown in jail, lol.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I made it!! I graduated number 4 out of 66. Not bad for an old man (in Marine years). I will get some pictures up.
    OUTSTANDING!

Semper Fi! & Carry on Marine, Finest Kind!!

je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Outstanding sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234