RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: How to extract a sizing die from a Lyman Lubrisizer

Boolit Master

How to extract a sizing die from a Lyman Lubrisizer

This is kind of a lame question, but I have a Lyman Lubrisizer - it is orange with no model number on it that I can find. I have used it a bit over the last 2 decades but I don't recall ever swapping out the die in it. Now I need to pull the .375" die and put in a .401 die. Is there some trick to this? The die is flush with the housing and I can't seem to push it out from below. Everything is rather stiff, but still moving. However the handle grip is thin wood and I don't want to bend or break anything. I should probably warm it up a little but how does one exert force on the die to move it out?

Thanks for any and all help.

Boolit Master

What I do with my Lyman 450 is to lower the height adjustment as far as I can get it and put 9mm luger case on top of the push rod. That butts up against the bottom of the die and allows you to push it out the top.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

First disconnect the die from the press. Older models (your handle makes it sound like one) have a set screw on the front. Starting with the model 450 they switched to a retention nut over the die. Next lift the handle and the ejector rod will lift the die out of the sizer.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master

Heat it up some to soften the lube. Makes removal easy as can be.

Boolit Master

After removing the retention. Nut, I place a case, socket, etc between the push rod and lower bracket so that when the handle is raised, the push rod raises the die in the sizer housing.

Banned
    I just remove the nut, stick a hammer handle over the lower push rod pull the operating handle up.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you have a Model 45 with the setscrew.I would apply a bit of heat to the area of the housing that encloses the sizing die and then attempt removal.

Boolit Grand Master

I use an open end wrench to loosen the nut then place the end of the same wrench under the pushrod and raise the handle. The die comes right out.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Sounds like you have a Model 45 with the setscrew.I would apply a bit of heat to the area of the housing that encloses the sizing die and then attempt removal.
    Heat !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I use an open end wrench to loosen the nut then place the end of the same wrench under the pushrod and raise the handle. The die comes right out.
    If you have a 450 , this is the way to do it. In place of an open end wrench , mine came with a little wrench for removing the nut and that's what I use.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Clearly you should buy a second lube sizer to go with the second die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    clearly you should buy a second lube sizer to go with the second die.
    plus one!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I think I should just sell the lubrisizer I have and convert the lever guns to paper patches anyway. That was my original intent, but haven't had time to make it work. The thought of lead on steel in my rifles' barrels gives me that sort of creepy feeling that screechy chalk on the blackboard does.

One of these days.

Meanwhile, I got the thing to work more or less and lubed up a few bullets as a test run. They were bullets that had been treated with LLA+JLFW (60:40) which didn't work so well. Maybe this will be better. One can hope.

Has anyone gotten any formulation of LLA to work w/o leading? But I digress. The lubrisizer is functioning - thanks for the tip to put something on the plunger to push the die out. I used a .38-40 bullet. Piece of cake then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    What I do with my Lyman 450 is to lower the height adjustment as far as I can get it and put 9mm luger case on top of the push rod. That butts up against the bottom of the die and allows you to push it out the top.
    Or a flat nose 45 bullet, or the nut wrench turned sideways, or anything that fits. I have taken to putting the "object" at the bottom of the pusher between it and the stirrup rather than between the top and the die bottom. I don't have to adjust it that way and it works just as well.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.