Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Swedish rolling block sights

Boolit Buddy

Swedish rolling block sights

Finally getting brass and boolit figured out for my 8x58r rolling block. The sights that come on these are OK at best and I could live with them if they were closer to point of aim. Not terrible but no up down adjustment. They are OK if I load up a 8mm jacketed bullet but cast up some 8mm maximum 225 lee and they drop pretty good. Still working powder charges and stuff but just got the brass figured out. Thinking about maybe a vernier sight from track of the Wolf since they are under a $100. Maybe a lollipop but like the idea of having adjustment for farther ranges. Even a new set of buckhorn but haven't looked into prices on them. Anyone else changed these and what did you use.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

The prettiest rolling block I ever saw was a Lone Star with a Williams Fool Proof. At first it looked out of place, but it grew on me quickly and appeared perfectly natural in short order. Here's a similar one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/656106495

I'm a tang sight guy, so I always go that route. For an economical tang sight I like the Lee Shaver economy soule at $225. But the MVA #132 is a vernier tang sight for $10 more, but no windage adjustment. Either are much more than the TOW tang sights, but also extremely higher quality. The TOW tang sight is pretty sloppy adjustments, and not repeatable.

http://montanavintagearms.com/produc...er-tang-sight/

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.c...g-range-soule/

Boolit Master

I put one of the TOW verniers on mine and it worked just fine for 100yd work. If you can find it try some SR4759 that gave me the best groups with the Lee Boolit.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I shoot the 8mm MAX in my Swede.

I load to @1850fps and have found it shoots to point of aim and it shoots way better than my old eyes can.

All groups at 55yards:

The middle is 32 grains of Norma N202.
    I lube the bottom two grooves only as i have found it cuts down on fliers.

Vihtavuori N133 or N135 is the right speed.

Here are some powders that suit the 32gr loading and need only a little tweaking to get it just right.
    Accurate 2015
    Reloader 12
    Benchmark
    IMR 8208 XBR

If any of you want to "stoke the bong" bear in mind that the rolling blocks are weaker than the Danish Krag action and max. pressure is @23kpsi for the rollers.

I also started out with the TOW cheap pedersoli sight but they are a pain to adjust and poorly marked. If you only plan to shoot at 100Y it wouldn't be too bad to start with. ( otherwise your going to spend $300 to $450 for a good sight but you will really appreciate it after you fiddle with that cheap sight ).

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

This is the one that I got https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../RS-CREED-3-WE
    but it was about $50 when i got it. If you intend to do any competition your money would be better spent on good sights. If you are going to plink, hunt, or shoot at ranges under 150yd the TOW sight will serve you just fine.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for Lee Shavers sights.
    Chill45100

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    This is the one that I got https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../RS-CREED-3-WE
    but it was about $50 when i got it. If you intend to do any competition your money would be better spent on good sights. If you are going to plink, hunt, or shoot at ranges under 150yd the TOW sight will serve you just fine.

Bob

Question Boz,
    In reading their description on the sight, it says that the 3" is too short for the Remington roller. I have a Swede Carl Gustav in the 8x58Rd, and I have a Remington and a Husquvarna in the 12.7x44R, so the 3" will work on the 8x58Rd, but not on the two 12.7x44R's is that correct? If so, do you have a recommendation on the two 12.7x44R's. These are used for hunting mostly.

Boolit Master

Moa I already sent you a PM but I can't see why they wouldn't work on the 12.7s. The arc might be a little higher but at a 100yd it shouldn't be out of the range.
    When I got the 8MM I was actually looking for a 12.7 and was a little late and KEBCO gave me the same price on the 8MM which were actually about $50 higher.
    If you don't abuse the sight I would think that TOW would take it back especially if you were going for the higher one. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
    BTW ChillWills got that sight from me for a rimfire roller for his son. You might ask him his opinion since he is a BPCR guy with way more experience than me.

Bob

The issue with the TOW sight is that windage adjustment they have with the two thumb screws on the side of the staff. It leans the staff, so the more windage you put into the staff, the more it will go left or right as you raise elevation. That makes it tough to raise the sight for longer distances, and then have to reacquire windage correction on a tilted staff.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I think I'm starting to lean to starboard on the Marbles solution, costly, but simple and effective. Thanks all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The issue with the TOW sight is that windage adjustment they have with the two thumb screws on the side of the staff. It leans the staff, so the more windage you put into the staff, the more it will go left or right as you raise elevation. That makes it tough to raise the sight for longer distances, and then have to reacquire windage correction on a tilted staff.
    Actually the 2 screws are to level the tang sight without having to file the base. Windage is a slide on the eye cup. The sight is definitely not going to work well for mid or long range. It is cheaper than the Marble's with the interchangeable staffs. I have one of those on my hunting Roller and it is a pretty good sight after I tore it apart and shimmed it to remove the slop. Sent it back to Marble's twice and it came back the same as when I sent it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Actually the 2 screws are to level the tang sight without having to file the base. Windage is a slide on the eye cup. The sight is definitely not going to work well for mid or long range. It is cheaper than the Marble's with the interchangeable staffs. I have one of those on my hunting Roller and it is a pretty good sight after I tore it apart and shimmed it to remove the slop. Sent it back to Marble's twice and it came back the same as when I sent it.

Bob
    Well that sucks, spend all that money and still have issues, I just got off the phone with Troy at Marbles, he said I needed to get the angle of the tang since they do not list these Swede rollers as part of their offering listed manufactures that they know which one works. So I guess sometime this weekend it will be sheet of paper and rulers to get barrel and tang angle. I also may check out with Dutchman his thoughts on just doing a scope using the rear military sight as a base for the scope.

Boolit Master
    I made a block that I soldered to the barrel up against the tulip. Drilled/tapped it for an H&R muzzleloader base turned backwards. I also filed a dovetail in it for peep type sight I got from brownells. I plan on replacing the front sight with a ramp and fiber optic.

With medium rings the scope clears the hammer but not enough for my thumb on the tip of the hammer. However there's plenty of hammer to get ahold of.

This is on my 8x58RD the sights on my 12.7 are more friendly than the 8x58 as bad as they are.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Well that sucks, spend all that money and still have issues, I just got off the phone with Troy at Marbles, he said I needed to get the angle of the tang since they do not list these Swede rollers as part of their offering listed manufactures that they know which one works. So I guess sometime this weekend it will be sheet of paper and rulers to get barrel and tang angle. I also may check out with Dutchman his thoughts on just doing a scope using the rear military sight as a base for the scope.
    I just ordered the RB sight from Brownell's and it worked fine as far as the angle was concerned.
    These RBs were probably built under license from Remington so the parts are probably somewhat interchangeable. Of course the 8MMs were converted 12.7s so there might have been some compromises to increase strength.

Bob