Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x40 WT or 300BLK for cast target shooting?

7.62x40 WT or 300BLK for cast target shooting?

I have a Stevens 200 (Savage 10) in 7mm-08 that I want to convert.

As configured, the 7-08 creates a lot of recoil for the lightweight stock and sporter barrel. Darned thing just jumps off the rests. Probably acceptable for seasonal sight-in and hunting, but a lousy range gun, at least for me. This particular barrel has an 11 twist, which has not been accurate at all (2-3" @100yds) with 140's. Heck, I can do that with my Winchester 94, but it's sub MOA I'm after here.

I want a range rifle/target gun that I can play with to develop loads for 100 to 300 yard target shooting, using bullets I cast. My thinking right now is to convert the gun (bolt face/magazine/barrel) to either a 300 Blackout or a 7.62x40 Wilson, for the purpose of target shooting lighter cast bullets at super-sonic (.30-30-ish) velocities. The attraction for me is to enjoy much lighter recoil and great economy while target shooting with an accurate repeater. I don't hunt moose, I don't shoot 1,000 yards, I don't need to impress anybody... except myself. I want to use this combination to grow as a shooter and as a caster/hand loader.

Bearing in mind the platform I am working with, I welcome all input regarding those two cartridge choices, any other cartridge suggestions and load/bullet mold ideas. I'm also not averse to hearing that I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

For only supersonic choose the 7.62x40. If you have any plans on shooting subs 300 BLK is the better option. It really boils down to how fast you're going to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    For only supersonic choose the 7.62x40. If you have any plans on shooting subs 300 BLK is the better option. It really boils down to how fast you're going to shoot them.
    Only supersonic.

Another concern is twist; the WT has a 1:12 twist, which I'm sure is much more cast-friendly than the 1:7 or 1:8 used by the BLK. I'm sure someone could make me a 300 BLK barrel 1:12 too.

Speaking of which: is 1:12 a good twist for cast in .30 caliber, for 100 too 150 grains and roughly 2400fps?

Your 1:12 at 2400fps will give your cast bullet a rotation of 144000 rpm. May be a tad too much depending on how you view cast bullet rotation threshold.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Homefront, I have an AR in 7.62 x 40WT. I like it. But I am having glitches getting flat-nose cast boolits to feed, but the Ed Harris type 155 and 160 Lee boolits for the 7.62 x 39 feed great.

My big problem in my local, I can't find any AA1680 powder. It looks to be "THE powder" in the 7.62 x 40WT.

Shooting Sierra .308 125gr jacketed I am able to get 2319fps @ 49 degrees with IMR 4198, and perfect cycling with a carbine-length gas system. AA1680 would boost this speed, from what Wilson Tactical has listed.

My cast boolit loads are still in "development."
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

My big problem in my local, I can't find any AA1680 powder. It looks to be "THE powder" in the 7.62 x 40WT.

Shooting Sierra .308 125gr jacketed I am able to get 2319fps @ 49 degrees with IMR 4198, and perfect cycling with a carbine-length gas system. AA1680 would boost this speed, from what Wilson Tactical has listed.
    Hickok,

Great handle, BTW!

I'm very curious about the Shooter's World powders, like this one that mimics 1680: http://shootersworldsc.com/D063-02/

Powder Valley carries it; maybe it will work for us both?

Boolit Buddy
    The canister form of Lovex D063-02 is called Blackout

http://shootersworldsc.com/blackout/

I thought long & hrd and went with the BO. Case is longer but neck is shorter. Don't remember the difference in freebore but BO is pretty long. I push a 145 gr rnfp PB to 2100 without problem with H110. Barrel is 18" 1:10. 185gr. GC works also. 150gr hornady SPP are very accurate too. I don't shoot subs. The extra few hundred fps does't seem to make a difference but I can use the heavier boolits.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I thought long & hrd and went with the BO. Case is longer but neck is shorter. Don't remember the difference in freebore but BO is pretty long. I push a 145 gr rnfp PB to 2100 without problem with H110. Barrel is 18" 1:10. 185gr. GC works also. 150gr hornady SPP are very accurate too. I don't shoot subs. The extra few hundred fps does't seem to make a difference but I can use the heavier boolits.
    Did you mean to say you went with the WT?

Boolit Bub
    For what you are looking to do either will work just fine. I would think the blackout would have the lower initial cost, but when you get past the barrel and dies everything should be the same.

Yes, A1680 is the powder for an AR to run the gas system, but in a bolt it opens up the powder selection.

Best of luck and have fun.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Homefront, I have an AR in 7.62 x 40WT. I like it. But I am having glitches getting flat-nose cast boolits to feed, but the Ed Harris type 155 and 160 Lee boolits for the 7.62 x 39 feed great.

My cast boolit loads are still in "development."
    I have the 7.62x40 WT in an AR also. Your findings are like my experience also and I really like the caliber. I thought about the BO, but didn't like the fast twist for shooting cast. Fortunately I have several pounds of WW 680 I bought years ago.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Honestly if you want to shoot cast bullets in a 30 caliber in that rifle why not just a simple rebarrel to 308win ?No bolt head change no mag change . You can load it up or down to whatever speed and recoil level you wish . Why push the BO to do something a bigger case can do at a lot lower pressure . Find a 12 twist 308 barrel screw it on and go shoot even a 10 twist is good
    Last edited by RU shooter; 06-14-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Buy a 7mm cast bullet mold and use the 7mm-08 as is. No reason to rebuild it into something else. A LEE 130gr cast bullet loaded to 1800fps will definitely tame your recoil issues and make it an enjoyable range rifle again.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Moderator Emeritus

As one who owns one, sub moa with a Stevens 200 begins by junking the stock and getting an aftermarket trigger. Then shoot that 7mm 08 and see what it's capable of before swapping barrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Apache Arms has the barrel and reamer for either 7.62x40 or blackout 1 in 11 twist and wilson tactical has lee 7.62x40 dies 39.00

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Buy a 7mm cast bullet mold and use the 7mm-08 as is. No reason to rebuild it into something else. A LEE 130gr cast bullet loaded to 1800fps will definitely tame your recoil issues and make it an enjoyable range rifle again.
    Just had that conversation with Popper on the sidelines. I ordered a Lee "soup can" 7mm, a .285 sizer and some gas checks from Midsouth. Have been reading and saving load data for light cast in that class of case.

I'll risk this small investment to see if it works. I do cast and I have the required faster powders already, so it's just a matter of a week or 2 before I know if the 130 grain lead bullet will do what I want in this 11 twist barrel.

MT Gianni -- I already bedded a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock to it, so we'll see what happens. I didn't find the stock Accu-trigger to be that bad. The stock it came with sure is Tupperware.

RU -- Since I wanted reduced capacity, changing the barrel and chamber to .308 didn't make much sense to me. Yes, it would leave me some reserve in case I wanted to move up and it seems I will still have that trying 7-08 with cast and light loads.

Steelshooter -- That's exactly who I had decided to use. I still may, if I'm dissatisfied with the light cast bullet approach.

Boolit Master

Homefront, the only major problem going with cartridges based on the .223 case would have been modifying your bolt face for the smaller diameter case. Expensive.

I bet you will find the 7mm08 with cast boolits to perfect.

Hope you give us a good write-up when you get all the components, and have time to work up a good load.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Homefront
    I was just at the cast boolit match at Ridgway Pa. I was shooting with a guy who was using a 300 blackout with a 200 gr. cast boolit in a remington 700 24 inch barrel and knocking the 55 lb steel rams down at 500 meters.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by homefront View Post
    Only supersonic.

Another concern is twist; the WT has a 1:12 twist, which I'm sure is much more cast-friendly than the 1:7 or 1:8 used by the BLK. I'm sure someone could make me a 300 BLK barrel 1:12 too.

Speaking of which: is 1:12 a good twist for cast in .30 caliber, for 100 too 150 grains and roughly 2400fps?
    E.R. Shaw will make 300 BLK in 8, 10, or 12 twist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast