Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: How to render SPG less viscus?

Boolit Master

How to render SPG less viscus?

I use SPG as lubricant-fouling softener when shooting muzzleloading rifle and percussion revolver conical bullets, and 45 Colt bullets with muzzle velocities less than 1100 fps (Titegroup® loads).

I want to try patched round balls in my rifle. Among lubricants I want to try is SPG. Without being able to confirm it, I'm anticipating SPG will be less satisfactory than less viscus lubes. But if it works well during testing with it unaltered, saturating a pillow ticking or linen patch will become expensive because I would be using much more than necessary.

SPG is made using 100 percent natural materials. What do I add to it when heated to a liquid state to increase its liquidity during use at temperature as low as 20 degrees Fahrenheit? If altitude during use is important, I'll be using it as high as 5500 ft.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master

There are ways to help make the lubed patches release more of it when lubing them. A cold patch dipped in liquid SPG carries a lot of lube as it cools the lube allowing a thicker coating of lube to adhere. Letting the patches set in the lube and come up to temp and then pulling them out allows the lube to drain off more and a thinner coating adheres to the patch. Melt the spg in a double boiler and add patches allowing them to heat for 5-10 mins coming up to temp of lube. remove with foreceps or fine clamps setting on wax paper or screen to cool. As to thinning it you might try canola oil olive oil or JoJoba oil added in small amounts. A simple mixture of 70% Crisco unsalted vegetable shortening, 20% canola oil, and 10% anahydrous lanolin might work well for a patch lube. You might add a few drops of murphies oil soap also. ( this helps it to blend and stay blended).

Boolit Master

Or just add Olive oil, lot cheaper, I'm sure you could cut it 50% for patches. As the Temperature rises add a bit of beeswax you'll have a fantastic patch lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have used beeswax and olive oil for years to lube patches. 50-50 by volume. Hot weather add a dobber of beeswax (55-45). Have never had hard crusty fouling in a 42 inch 54 RB rifle. Nor the .60 smoothbores. Smells great also.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Machinists oil (NAPA oil) the brown stuff that looks like oil, smells like oil, tastes like oil = 1 part oil, 7 parts water. Soak your patch strip in it and then pull it between your fingers to remove the excess. Lay it on a non-porous surface and let the water evaporate. Roll the strips up and store them in 35mm film canisters. Try different parts of water when testing to find the best combination for your rifle/pistol.

To a pint of the 1:7 mix add two ounces of Murphy's Oil Soap, or two ounces Pine Sol, or two ounces Lestoil for a great cleaning solution.

Got a friend who adds all three, but his rifle is never cleaner than mine.

Boolit Mold
    I used to keep rolls of lubed ticking in 35mm film containers. Where does one get them in the digital age?

butchbrandt - - I can walk into any store that processes film and pick up a couple almost all the time.