69 16.47%
  • 55- 65

130 31.03%
  • 65 or older

131 31.26%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Am I a youngster?

Boolit Master
    Younger bull and senior bull on ridge line looking over the herd. Young says, "Hey Old Fellow, lets run on down there and have our fun with one of them gals." Wise old bull replies; "You stay here boy, I'll walk down there 'n make'm all happy."

I've taught several young folk to cast and handload. But, now that they are middle aged is seems they have quit, sadly even just about quit shooting. My son still shoots, but has me do the casting and reloading. Probably my own fault for doing it for him. Then again, folks seem to spend so much time at their jobs that the good life is passing them by. Youth is wasted on the young.

Rooster

Boolit Bub
    Lol I know the feeling! I have yet to meet anyone in my town that casts, but there's got to be a few since most the tire shops already have ww spoken for !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hope to be 74 next month.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Buddy
    I celebrated my 53rd birthday just over three months ago. I started casting around the age of 12, learning the mysterious art of pouring lead from my Dad.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I'm a member of a small firearms collectors club, about 140 members. We get around 50 members attending our meetings. At our last meeting the Pres. said everyone here under 60, raise your hand... Three hands came up.
    I'm thinking the younger generation (on the most part) aren't interested in joining or making any kind of a commitment.
    It seems to be the same across the board.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Buddy
    Early 30's. I can't even interest guys I know to reload, much less cast. I came from a non-shooting family so there's still hope for the future. I went from automatic pistols to cap and ball in a very short time with everything in between. Seeing spaghetti western reruns in the 90's was a defining moment that influenced my shooting life. Without the internet I would have probably never tried casting since I didn't have anyone to influence me otherwise. I've never handled more than a literal hand full of wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    Planning on 49 this fall. I've been reloading for around 30 years. I learned to reload from my Dad. I have been casting for almost 3 years. I learned to cast from this site.

Boolit Master
    Almost every member of my pistol club that i shoot with reloads, there are the odd few that don't yet, as they are unsure or don't have the money just yet to buy the gear to do it. They are collecting cases for future reloading though.

I only shoot reloads in my centre fire guns, i don't think i have ever bought factory ammo, other than for my .22

As for people that cast their own, as far as i'm aware, it's just myself and another guy. People doing black powder do cast some of their own as some can be odd calibers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Younger bull and senior bull on ridge line looking over the herd. Young says, "Hey Old Fellow, lets run on down there and have our fun with one of them gals." Wise old bull replies; "You stay here boy, I'll walk down there 'n make'm all happy."

I've taught several young folk to cast and handload. But, now that they are middle aged is seems they have quit, sadly even just about quit shooting. My son still shoots, but has me do the casting and reloading. Probably my own fault for doing it for him. Then again, folks seem to spend so much time at their jobs that the good life is passing them by. Youth is wasted on the young.

Rooster
    An 8 pointer, 4 pointer and a button buck are standing by a field browsing on acorns.

The 8 pointer says,
    'I'm happy with my 10 does, we're really getting along.'

The 4 pointer says,
    'I'm happy as heck with my 5, they really take care of me!'

The Button buck says,
    'My two are all right, better than nothing I guess.'

Then all of a sudden a GIANT 14 pointer walks out into the field.

The three bucks had never seen anything like him before, they were in awe.

The big buck made a huge scrape and pisses in it, rubbed a tree the size of a telephone pole and snapped it off at the ground!

The three bucks looked on in amazement.

The 8 pointer says,
    'I could probably get by with 4 does...........
    Who really needs 10 anyway?'

The 4 pointer says,
    'You know.............. come to think of it, I only really use one or two of mine!'

The button buck was silent, as the other two bucks look over to him in confusion.

Suddenly the Button buck runs out into the middle of the field!

He rips and tears up some grass........
    Pisses all over the place,
    snorts & wheezes,
    rubs his head raw on a tree,
    and chews a lickin branch clean off!

Then he runs back over to his buddies.

His friends immediately ask him,
    'What the heck are you doing!?'

I'm just makin' sure that big son of a ***** knows I'm a buck!

Your post just made me think of this joke lol.

Boolit Mold
    Age 71 here. Started reloading in '62 at age 16 and can't think of when the last factory load I fired was. I cased a little in the early '70's and want to get back into it. Have mostly been shooting commercial cast. Have several hundred pounds of pure lead and will have to add to this to get an alloy that is appropriate. I still love reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    58 loaded my first 38 special in 1980 with the same old rock chucker I use today. First casting was 38's from a saeco mold and saeco pot in 1989.

I will be 62 yoa in a few months I love the hobby just started a few years ago , I found this forum and got hooked right off , been into firearms an hunting since I was 8 years old

Boolit Master

Seems like most of us are getting on in years. I'm 75 and only have been loading for about 50 years. Kind of a newbie since I've only been casting for 25 years and swaging the last 15. It's a good feeling knowing I can make everything except powder & primers. I think I could make those too if I had to. With the lathe and mill I can make most of the tools I need also. I have a few young guys in town that want to learn and I offered them the use of all my equipment and components and given them some books before they buy anything. They can then buy wisely.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

I'll be 70 if the Lord lets me make it till Oct. Been casting 43 yrs (wow, that went by fast). I used to cast for the novelty but when I saw how well the boolits performed on game, I was hooked for sure. Now I cast because I love the independence of having my own source of projectiles and not having to worry about knee jerk legislation by our government to outlaw bullets/boolits.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I'm old enough to punch the wrong button. Oh wait- I've always done that.
    I'll be 59 and holding soon Lord be willing.
    Happy Father's Day everyone!

Boolit Master

You know you're getting old when someone asks your age and you have to ask them what year it is and get out your calculator...

Yep... I've been that way for awhile...

Or, as they say, "Old enough to know better, but too old to care..."

Boolit Grand Master

Just turned 63. Been casting since I was about 14 so 49 years.

I used to cast a lot more than I do now mostly because I am much more involved in traditional archery now than I was but still going with casting. I cast for .303 British, .44 mag Marlin and 12 ga. slug mostly these days.

I have about a half dozen moulds for each caliber though I swore I was going to downsize and use one boolit per caliber. I tend to like heavy for caliber boolits but in the end I had to have a plinker weight boolit, mid weight and heavy. Makes more sense to stick to one weight per caliber or at least one boolit weight per gun so sights don't have to move but I can't help it.

In years gone by I have cast for dozens of guns in calibers from .30 to .458, 20 ga. and 12 ga. in both cartridge and muzzleloading guns. I lean towards the big bores and have a fascination with 12 ga. slugs.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    It is interesting to see the variances in age here.

The only detracting thing I can think of about polls such as this one, is that without full voting by all of the membership, the results will be skewed to only those who wish to vote/post. Thus it doesn't reflect the true membership age spread.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    The only detracting thing I can think of about polls such as this one, is that without full voting by all of the membership, the results will be skewed to only those who wish to vote/post. Thus it doesn't reflect the true membership age spread.
    If you're going down that road I'm sure you will find that many members have left this earth. So the membership number is off to begin w/.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    If you're going down that road I'm sure you will find that many members have left this earth. So the membership number is off to begin w/.
    NOt so much, although I understand what ya are saying.

What I mean is that if only part of the membership votes in the poll, then ya only get the input from those that voted.
    I.E. - There culd be a lot of members who are in their middle age who have not voted/posted, or a lot of younger folks who did not vote/post, since they may only stop in on occasion.. Where the older folks who may be retired or do not have the other things going on that many do in their lifestyle at a younger age & are possibly more likely to vote/post...

I think I can see it in only just the short time this poll has been up..

More members that are older, and thus may have more time to vote/post than other younger folks. As the age drops, the numbers of the age group can drop.

Don't know if I am explaining my thinking well enough, but I am trying to basically say that older posters may have more time to vote/post on such things like this here, than younger ones who have a lot more stuff going on that they might consider more important than casting & reloading boolits.. Younger folks & Job/children/etc. taking up time, than the time available with the older at retired/semi-retired/ grandchildren/etc.

BTW... I am in the latter group.

Last edited by JBinMN; 06-18-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast