130 31.03%
  • 65 or older

131 31.26%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Am I a youngster?

Boolit Master
    Be 70 on june 21 been loading and casting since 1971

Boolit Master

I started reloading about 3 years ago and after complaining about how I wasn't saving as much as I had hoped with fmjs my buddy asked why I don't just cast my own. A light bulb went off in my head, I read every sticky on the forum in 3 days and on day 4 bought me a Lee pot and a mold. The rest is history.

Boolit Master

I started reloading in 1968 and then casting in 1976. No need to golf when you can reload, shoot and hunt.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I started reloading in 1968 and then casting in 1976. No need to golf when you can reload, shoot and hunt.
    Amen!

No one will tell you what a golf course really is..... a waste of a perfectly good gun range!

Boolit Master

I'm 49, been reloading since I was about 20 casting since about 22 or so.

Boolit Buddy

81 yeas old here, been handloading/casting since I was 16.
    Still shoot steel in competition every two weeks.
    Getting a little slower, but, still in the game.
    Hope to have a few more years yet.
    Floydster a.k.a. Smokeyloads

Boolit Master
    38 here, i started casting after our hand gun buy back in Australia. I had 3-4000 .45 projectiles that i wouldn't get any money for (other than scrap), so being the cheap person i am, i decided to make those .45s into 9mm. That would have been 2003/2004 so that made me... *Twitches fingers and toes* about 27/28

Years later, i'm still doing it, just more often than i used to.

Boolit Master
    Well,I cast my first boolit when I was about 6 or 7 with my Grand Father.We cast some huge boolits for his TD Springfield in 45-70 cal.IIRC,it was made in the late 1870`s or early 1880`s.
    He bought it new.Lord when I saw the size of those slugs I wondered what kind of artillery piece that was for.I think that they were 500gr.That was a fun afternoon.We later loaded them with black powder,and shot a couple.Boy,would that TD back up a little guy.Those were the days.Oh yeah.I`ll be 72 in October.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    There now you know that I'm not older than dirt , it must be true it's on the internet !!

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    47 here started casting and reloading at 29

Boolit Master
    Started casting aluminum in High School. Went to casting fishing weights at home about the same time.
    When I graduated in HS 1974 talked my dad into buying me a Haws Western Martial .357
    I started casting Wad Cutters and Semi Wad Cutters and wore out several parts for the .357.
    Someone stole it the same time with all my single shot and pump shotguns and a used Browning A5 I traded for after I got married in 1978 while we were fishing.
    I still cast today but don't get to shoot as much due to my wife's health but she does like to go to the lake shooting range.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Yes. YOU are a youngster.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I am 67. started casting at 21. hand dipped into a 358429 mold. loaded with a 310 hand tool. was loading for ruger blackhawk about a year later got a used liberty single stage press. did it because it was the only way I could shoot. still have the mold pistol and press.
    Last edited by bob208; 06-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.

25. Been loading and casting since I was 17.

Boolit Master

Well, I'm not going to say that you are a youngster, but quite frankly kid, I would not be surprised if some of the people around here have *underwear* older than you...

70 in January, started casting when I was 20. I had to, bullets were $3.75 a 100 and I didn't have it! Mold was free and WW's were free. Those were the days!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Moderator Emeritus

It needs the option " I got underwear older than you".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Be 61 in November....by the grace of God retired but working part time and in good health.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I too am in the shorter of the two groups. Turning 30 in Sept. Started loading with grandpa around my 12th birthday. Tried casting when I was 22, then waited till this winter to really figure it out, with the help of this site and it's friendly members. I've since spent over 3k primers dislodging home brewed projectiles. I never thought I could get another ounce of satisfaction from reloading.... I was wrong!

Old souls get along better anyways! Our generation has got it easy, the key is knowing the difference. Most of us "young uns" don't have the slightest idea.

Henry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by henry8734 View Post
    I too am in the shorter of the two groups. Turning 30 in Sept. Started loading with grandpa around my 12th birthday. Tried casting when I was 22, then waited till this winter to really figure it out, with the help of this site and it's friendly members. I've since spent over 3k primers dislodging home brewed projectiles. I never thought I could get another ounce of satisfaction from reloading.... I was wrong!

Old souls get along better anyways! Our generation has got it easy, the key is knowing the difference. Most of us "young uns" don't have the slightest idea.

Henry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Our generation is a bunch of liberal p***ies, in just glad a few of us are still sane enough to turn it around and keep such an art/science/hobby/obsession going. One day I'll meet somebody my own age that casts for fun. Lol maybe one day I'll meet someone else who cast lol (excludinding Dave Scharfschuetze who is an awesome guy and my new hero)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast