69 16.47%
  • 55- 65

130 31.03%
  • 65 or older

131 31.26%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Am I a youngster?

Boolit Grand Master

No voluntary poll can have a scientific outcome. These are purely for fun and serve no real purpose.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Well I had cast my first bullets when I was 16yoa. it was for a trade musket .40 caliber smoothbore. That was like ages ago too, way back there in the early days. I think they were wearing Tricorn hats back then.
    But everyone has to start somewhere, so you may be young, but that should not be a deterrent.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I am surprised by the poll. I figured 45-65 would be the biggest groups, and 30-45 the lowest. I see I am far in the minority at 22 years old, and I do not know a single other person my age who casts bullets. I started reloading when my grandpa showed me at about 13-14. I wanted to shoot WAY more than I could get factory ammo. It really paid off through my teen years which included mostly the Obama years.
    23 years old here, but just got into casting last year as, I too, wanted to shoot more. Paying 35-50c a round for 357Sig just wasn't cutting it for me, and I have an ever-present desire to get things as cheap as humanly possible. Got down to 13c a round with buying cast boolits in bulk, and figured, hey, I could do that myself and cut the cost even further!

Boolit Mold
    29 but not for much longer. 30 seems to be fast approaching

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyGP100 View Post
    29 but not for much longer. 30 seems to be fast approaching
    It's a horrifying thought isn't it?

Boolit Master

My first mold was a Lee 140-gr 38 caliber SWC - about 50 years ago. Used the Lee system to cast & loob, and reload, 38/357's for my Ruger Blackhawk. At 81 I'm slowing down, not shooting as much, but still have a ton (literally!) of stock and something over 100 molds.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

32, casting for 2 years now. I shoot a lot of volume, and cast for 11 different calibers. #1600 lead last year, I use range pickup and PC my boolits. Best thing I've done for my shooting since realizing what sights were for

Boolit Master
    Wow, that is some serious shooting right there. Glad you aren't buying the #1600 of projectiles from the shop, id' hate to do the math to work out how much that would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    So I've been a member of this forum and casting for the last 2 years and one thing I keep noticing is that I'm probably one of the youngest people on this forum at the ripe old age of 28. How old is everyone on here? Is boolit casting really an old mans game? Who doesn't like cheap boolits!

I know I'm an old soul at heart because the wife tells me everyday I act like a grandpa.
    Younger people have grown up hearing all the bad things lead does to you, even if it is just sitting on the ground. Most of us over 50 grew up with lead paint & such, we seem to still be around.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I survived all the bad habits and unknown dangers of the 40s, 50s and 60s without any ill effects, that are traceable. Either I was tough, or lucky.
    I carried mercury in my pockets, cast lead soldiers, ate peanuts, road bicycles without a helmet, and killed snakes by poping their heads like a whip. I even road standing on the front seat, or laying on the rear window shelf of the car.
    I'm sure I'd be dead if I did those things as a child today.
    Just think of all the fun the latest generation will miss, in a safety harness with their noses burried in an electronic gadget, texting the person next to them.
    Last edited by mold maker; 06-23-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

80 and still dabbling in the Dark Art of Black Powder shooting along with Casting a variety of projectiles.

Boolit Master

I am still staggering along at 75. From '64 to '84 I was carrying a revolver for the city of New York as a cop. The weapon was a necessary tool that was not used too much. As a youngster I fired off probably 50,000 .22 Lr's out of a 1920 Savage Model 23 bolt rifle so when I became a LEO good marksmanship was easy to achieve and maintain. After retirement and moving out to Las Vegas in '93 I started to target shoot my trusty 38's from my cop days. It got kinda expensive so I got into reloading and casting all at once. Over the years my gun collection has grown along with my collection of molds to make boolits. Now I am looking into PC my boolts instead of lubing them. I gave up golf and playing guitar so I can spend more time with my guns, boolits and target shooting. My latest is a Custom revolver put out by Wild West Guns here in Las Vegas. They call it the Wolverine. It starts out as a Ruger SuperRedhawk Toklet 454 Casull 5" revolver. They port the barrel, do a bunch of lightening cuts on the frame, mill the end of the cylinder so you can shoot .45 ACP with moonclips along with 45 Colt and the mighty 454 Casull. They also add an adjustable white outline rear sight (a la S&W) along with the infamous orange insert in the front sight and a full action job. The single action on this weapon has to be felt to be believed. It is the best I have ever felt and that includes some well worked over Smith's. As far as lead supply I have enuf to keep me shooting for another 15 years in a large pile against the wall of the garage.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Perma-Banned
    44 years old here, i have only been casting about 2 years now, totally addicted!! I cast BIG HEAVY Muzzleloader bullets (400-650 Grains) i have yet to venture in to casting for my Cartridge guns, been thinking seriously about it tho! The 2 that i shoot the most are 7MM-08, and 6.5 Creedmoor

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    No voluntary poll can have a scientific outcome. These are purely for fun and serve no real purpose.
    Well, at least this poll confirms the fact that the 'old farts' are leading the 'soon to be - old farts' by a healthy 3 people . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

3 x 21 = 63.

Most of the locals in our small community said I'd ever see the first 21. I was a wild one and won't deny that, there are more here than many realize who were the same. Thankfully, some of us learned the hard way and turned our lives around. We may not be able to advise a person on some things to do, but there's a whole hell of a lot we can tell you you don't wanna do.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

We must have been students together at . . . 'The Uniderbity of Hard Knocks'
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Well it would seem that the poll confirms it, most of the active members in this forum are old farts lol. I must just be crazy then. I shot a USPSA competition yesterday and one of the fellows there that was in the master class told me I shouldn't be shooting cast because it will lead up my barrel and won't shoot berry accurately. I showed him pictures of my multiple 1.5" & 1.7" groups at 25 yards then handed him my barrel and asked him to point the leading out to me. He looked and looked then said "well crow don't taste that good but I guess I'll have to eat it" lol. My barrel was clean as a whistle thanks to the great info on this forum and Felix lube.

Pushing 75 hard so I guess yes, you are a youngster. I started shooting about the time I got retired, casting shortly after - ammo was $$$. Not too many around here that cast but a HS friend does shoot CASS in Florida. IMHO, shooting as a hobby/sport drops off after HS and doesn't pick back up till later years. Until Obummer started the ruckus.
    Whatever!

Amazing how many "60-61 in August" guys their are. I would be one as as well

Boolit Bub
    50 7/12 y.o. rookie caster

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast