Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Trailboss... Accurate loads, or just for plinking?

Boolit Master

Trailboss... Accurate loads, or just for plinking?

I just bought some Trailboss to use for powderpuff 9.3 X 74 cast loads, out of my Ruger #1. I've never used it before, but after staring at Quickload screens for over a week, looking to create a good, accurate target load, I thought I'd give it a shot. I like it's ability to fill the case, but keep the velocity down.
    My question is:
    Does anyone use this as a preferred powder for target work, or just for plinking?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    Fatelvis -

Howdy !

FWIW:
    I first tried 'Trailboss " in my Marlin M-336 XLR .35 Remington.

It seemed to get more accurate the more-full the case was ( 150gr bullets ).

14.5gr Trailboss was the max I could get into the case, and not compress the charge.

It was accurate to 100yd, but.... mostly when there was no wind; as vel's are l-o-w.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy
    In my Krag, 12 grains under the Lee 312-155 had 5 holes touching at 50 yards, 1284 fps average, standard deviation of 7 fps. I set the sight at 400 and pot armadillos with it, or ring steel at our Vintage combat matchs.

Boolit Mold
    As posted in another thread, I use them in my 30-30 for low recoil target loads in my 30-30.
    I'm happy enough to use them for 50m offhand lever-action target shooting competition with iron sights, but I'd use a different load if shooting prone or with a rest (or anything else where the user's wobble factor is less than the 1.5" groups that my load gives.)

Details:
    CBE 313-112gr Gas checked and sized to .311: 50m low recoil load. 9gr TrailBoss. 1430fps. 5 * 10 shot groups at 50m averaged 1.52". Best 7/10 shots average over groups =1.1" (I just churn these out and don't weigh them, and expect a few "fliers", hence the additional 7/10 group). Still shoots better than I can hold offhand at 50m with irons.

In my rifle TrailBoss loads definitely shoot best at about 80% of case capacity for the projectile - i.e. mark where the base of a seated projectile lies in the case - fill with powder to that level, empty out of case and weigh. - I use 80% of that weight.

I have read that best accuracy lies between 80-95% of case capacity (depending on rifle) as measured above. I have also read that pressures get erratic when compressed.
    I do know that in my rifle:
    loads at 90% of capacity increase pressure levels to a point where full length sizing of cases is required
    The 80% load is a "neck sizing only" proposition, while
    Loads less than 80% open up a bit more than 1.5" at 50m (10 shot groups).

note - my rifle has a tight 26" barrel so I expect a standard bored rifle to give a little lower velocity and perhaps handle a slightly higher powder charge for the same pressures.
    Last edited by RedDust; 06-12-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I tried Trail Boss in several cartridges (.32-40 is the only one I remember right now) and found that in general I couldn't get the accuracy I could get with denser smokeless powders with the same boolits. The stuff was expensive compared to the regular powders, and, lacking a graphite coating, flew around everywhere and stuck to everything because of static electricity.

I was glad to finally use up the 8 ounces in the big round jar. I won't buy another one.

Boolit Master

Trailboss... Accurate loads, or just for plinking?

I mainly used to use it for plinking. It was fairly accurate in my 45colt loads, but not as good as Unique. Like others have said, I used up the powder I had on hand and then went back to either Unique or Bullseye. It is fairly expensive, anemic velocity, fast pressure spike, all in all just not for me. Keep in mind it was mainly designed to be a "fluffy" powder to take up more space in old calibers that were originally black powder and for light rifle loads. For your intended use I think it will serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I will subscribe to this thread to keep an eye on post. I just picked some up and loaded some sample loads for my SRH .44 mag. Hope to get the crony setup and test this weekend if the rain holds off. I like that it files the case. I have some test load with it and some Unique.

Boolit Master
    My 30-30 experience is similar to RedDust.

I use the Lyman 311008 sized to .310, either powdercoated or lubed with lla/jpw.

8.0 gr Trail Boss.

I find it very accurate at 50 yds, where I do most of my walk-about
    groundhog hunting.

I'm also using it in 8mm and 45-70. I rarely use scoped rifles and these loads will do the job I want.
    They are also easy on 70 yr old bones, and kids too.

Boolit Master
    I will also keep an eye on this thread; furthermore I hope to perhaps be able to provide some useful info re: the loading project I'm currently working on, very soon.

I have spent the last couple yrs developing subsonic loads and have been mostly successful with the exception of my relatively-large case .350 Remington Mag (OP, you can see where this is heading). So far w/ that cartridge, I have had some minor success with Red Dot, 800x, and Trail Boss (down to ~50% loading density). I do have to do more testing but feel like I am on the right track. Hot primers & heavier bullets seem to be of assistance with these very light loads.

I have noticed that the TB is leaving less soot on my (fireformed & neck-sized-only) cases compared to the RD & 800x - which aren't bad either. SR4759 was horrible in this regard.

OP, what has been your approach with Quickload & TB? (which doesn't have that powder on file, IIRC)
    I /have/ found QL to be absolutely indispensable with subsonic load development BTW.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-20-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've found that with my BP rifles if I can get close to the same velocity as with real BP, accuracy is quite good.

Boolit Buddy

I use it in my league loads with my .45 and 200 or 230 grain lead and have had excellent performance.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    I just bought some Trailboss to use for powderpuff 9.3 X 74 cast loads, out of my Ruger #1. I've never used it before, but after staring at Quickload screens for over a week, looking to create a good, accurate target load, I thought I'd give it a shot. I like it's ability to fill the case, but keep the velocity down.
    My question is:
    Does anyone use this as a preferred powder for target work, or just for plinking?
    Fatelvis,

I've been using Trail Boss almost since the day it came out, for rifle and handgun loads. The one rule I've found to be almost universally true is that an accuracy load for rifle and most handgun cartridges will be found with a case loaded between 65% to a maximum of 80% full.
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

Boolit Buddy
    Love trailboss. I have got nice accuracy out of 45 ACP using it.

Boolit Master
    I just did a ladder test with trailboss under am MP 359-220-FN 220gr HP in a 35 Remington (Marlin 336 microgroove) on friday. I was looking for an accurate low recoil load that my 12yr old can shoot. I started at 8.0gr and stepped up to 12.0gr in 0.5gr increments. I had the best accuracy at 8.5gr. The group of 3 was one bullet wide by 1/2" long centered 1.5" below point of aim. No soot on the case, no pressure signs, and virtually no recoil.

Boolit Master
    I have been using TB for 54r,8mm,303British and 30-06
    It's a fun load and I will say "accuracy" what do you expect? The rifles I use are not "very" accurate. All milsurps with well used and some mistreated bores. They all shoot cast more accurately than FMJs.
    At 50 yards I can get down into 4moa is with just elbows on the bench.
    With TB my rear sight settings have to be very high 500plus. Which makes for a "loose" cheek weld as I lift my head to get my eye up to the sight.
    I do like it. It's easy to use darn near impossible to over charge unless you compress it and for me perfect for 50 yard. It's a great plinking powder.
    It is a tad more expensive as it's not a true pound when bought by the pound.
    It's a tad cheaper if you buy the big jug.
    I have used it in my 32sw new departure also. It does burn clean. I may try it in 45 soon.

Boolit Master
    I have been using TB for 54r,8mm,303British and 30-06
    It's a fun load and I will say "accuracy" what do you expect? The rifles I use are not "very" accurate. All milsurps with well used and some mistreated bores. They all shoot cast more accurately than FMJs.
    At 50 yards I can get down into 4moa is with just elbows on the bench.
    With TB my rear sight settings have to be very high 500plus. Which makes for a "loose" cheek weld as I lift my head to get my eye up to the sight.
    I do like it. It's easy to use darn near impossible to over charge unless you compress it and for me perfect for 50 yard. It's a great plinking powder.
    It is a tad more expensive as it's not a true pound when bought by the pound.
    It's a tad cheaper if you buy the big jug.
    I have used it in my 32sw new departure also. It does burn clean. I may try it in 45 soon.

I’ve been using Trail Boss for several years. it has a very specific application, and when used accordingly is an excellent powder choice. Specifically, it is great for low velocity lead loads at moderate ranges. Some of my favorites are 44 Mag with 6.9gr behind a 240gr LSWC. It also works well in 44 Special same bullet as the 44 Mag but using only 5.1gr. Another favorite is 45 Colt with a 255gr LFN and 5.7gr TB. Because of the bulkiness of the powder, it can only be used in cases with larger capacities.

Interestingly, I’ve also put together some reduced loads for my suppressed .223 Rem bolt gun. Using a 55gr FMJ and 8gr of TB I get respectable accuracy (2MOA) at 100 yards. Best part of this load is that it is no louder than a 22 short.