RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What scope magnification for 100 yards?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm 51 . 20/40 x 18/20 corrected to 20/20 .
    My old 6-9×40 will do the job 6x and up most days but the light has to be facing the target . 10x would be plenty on the corrected down side but the corrected up side looses about 4× with glasses but only 2 or so with the contact .
    The 3-9×40 Tasco 94-96' is way ahead of all but the Weaver V9 196?-72 .
    I don't have any really good late model glass .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The T series scopes weren't your average Weaver. I have three I wish I had more.
    Me too. BUT- I can see .358 holes @ 100 with my K2.5, .30 cal holes with my K4, and .22 holes with my 6x Burris. I'm 58 and I only wear readers. The T 10 I had years back was the best prarie dog/crow/ target scope I've ever owned.

I can see them when the range calls clear and I walk my fat *** down there and look.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    That is sort of a trick question. It depends on the quantity and quality of light on a given day and contrast of the bullet hole with the target.
    A clean cut hole is easier to see than one made by a slow moving round nose bullet. Mirage can make holes difficult to see.

The human eye can resolve about one minute of angle. At one hundred yards that is the ability to distinguish alternating 1 inch wide white and black bars.
    If you divide that by the caliber of bullet hole say a .257 you would expect to barely see .25 caliber holes with a 4X glass. If the light is poor or mirage is bad or the bullet hole is in the black you may need a good bit more magnification. The effect of your own eyes is a issue that you must address.

My distance vision is still very good and I can use a scope like a kid until light levels fall as the sun goes down.
    I cannot focus on barrel mounted rear sights. With a short rifle barrel I cannot even focus on the front sight. With a BPCR with an aperture front I can focus fine due to the longer barrels. However I cannot see through small tang sight apertures. They either are full of fuzz and cob webs or they are football shaped or both. So I use the larger apertures.

When I was a younger shooter I shot a lot at a range that faced east into a hill. It was not too good in the AM but after about 3 pm with the sun at my back I could easily see .222 holes with an old 6X Weaver.

A .22 LR round nose bullet does not blow out a big hole so they are hard to see in the black.

The best way to compare scopes is to test side by side using the Air Force Test Target.
    Some cheap glass is about 98% to 99% as capable as the snob glass.
    The snob rifle scopes are typically much better mechanically than any cheap rifle scope.
    EDG

Banned

9x but barely. 12x is better. Sure cant see them at 6x or under.

Banned
    I use 20X for 100 yards so I can see the bullet holes. Sometimes I will dial it down a bit so I can get the cross hair to cover up a vertical line.

Boolit Master

I have a 20-60x spotting scope on the bench next to me.

I fire a couple of shots,..... then look at the grass,..... the sky,..... or the backstop, for a few minutes in the spotting scope until I get it lined up again on my target!!! Shoot and repeat!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

I fire a couple of shots,..... then look at the grass,..... the sky,..... or the backstop, for a few minutes in the spotting scope until I get it lined up again on my target!!! Shoot and repeat!!!
    Sounds like a new bench is in order. Especially, with the amount of shooting you have going on.

That sounds like a good way to let the barrel cool.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Sounds like there is a screw loose
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12