MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Magnum primers vs standard primers with 2400

Banned

Magnum primers vs standard primers with 2400

I have a question for you guys that I am sure has been asked before. In fact, after much searching and reading I seem to be just as confused. Here goes.

I shoot my 1903 and my Mosin with 312299s and C312-160-2Rs, gas checked and lubed. I have settled on 18.5 gr of 2400 in the 1903 and 16 gr of 2400 in the 7.62X54R.

Back during the last Obama shortage I snagged a box of Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers since that was all that was available at the time. I usually use Winchester or CCI standard primers.

Would I have any problems loading the magnum primers in these two loads? Also, I rarely but occasionally sub in 13 gr of Red Dot or 22 gr of Re 7.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Steve in N CA

I hope someone answers this query, as I too have a thousand Magnum Winchester primers that I mistakenly bought. None of my shooting buddies load magnums either, so can't even give 'em away.

Boolit Master

No problems using them with the loads you quoted, since they are nowhere near max loads. You may even get better accuracy, you won't know until the boolits fly! Please report back and let us know.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    I had never used a magnum primer with any cast rifle load until recently. While working up a load for a friend's .350 Remington Magnum, I tried both CCI-200s and 250s. The magnum primer provided somewhat better accuracy in this fairly large case. If I had a bunch of magnum primers that I had no real use for, I would certainly try them in whatever I had.

Banned

It is a non-magnum primer powder that works fine with magnum primers. I have always used regular primers, but if I only had magnum primers, I would use them. I have my share of 2400, and it hits the sweet spot for me on the higher end loads.

Boolit Master
    SOMETIMES... with mild loads that do not fill the case, magnum primers actually improve ignition uniformity and accuracy. SOMETIMES

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've had a load that wouldn't act right until I used a magnum primer . I started at the bottom and went from there .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    Well, I loaded up my usual range loads for my -06 and my son's Mosin. But I held back 10 rounds of each and loaded them with the Winchester magnum primers.

On our next range trip in two or three weeks I will shoot both through my chronograph and post the results.

I am not worried about over pressure really. I was wondering if any one had seen a noticeable difference in accuracy. I will find out and let you know.

Thanks for your input, as always it is appreciated.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I never saw much improvement in accuracy with magnums but I felt better using them!!
    Look twice, shoot once.