RepackboxADvertise hereWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision

Thread: WTS/WTT Lyman WJS Receiver Sight

Boolit Bub

WTS/WTT Lyman WJS Receiver Sight

Wanted to Sell an All-Steel Lyman Model WJS Receiver Sight that fits the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, Savage Model 110, etc. Price is $55 shipped to your door via USPS Priority Mail. Or, Wanted to Trade for the same sight to fit the Mauser '98 and clones (Lyman Model WSM). First "I'll take it" posted here gets the nod.

Thanks for looking!

Attachment 197374Attachment 197375Attachment 197376Attachment 197377Attachment 197378

One Gun Andy
    Last edited by One Gun Andy; 06-11-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Be strong, and show yourself a man.

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Strange- my 1965 model 700 is factory tapped on the LEFT side. Your sight looks like it mounts on the RIGHT side? Heck of a deal though!

if the hole spacing and radius is right this would fit my L/H Remington...........if it does I will take it.....please measure hole spacing so I can check that.....................

I'm thinking the aperture is screwed in the front. Mounts on left.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    This is a Lyman #48 peep sight that has not been made in over 25 years. It mounts on the right side of a 98 Mauser. The model 70 Winchester mounts on the left side of the receiver. I am not sure about the Remington 700 but I think it also mounts on the left. I any case this a great sight at a very good price and it is hard to find. The only difference in this sight and the Lyman 48 target sight are the ADJ knobs.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Perma-Banned
    lookin' down on the cross-bar & aperture & adjustment scale it looks like it mounts on the right side. lookin' at just the base & location of the adjustin' knob it looks like it mounts on the left side. any chance it is parts from two different model sights?

Boolit Bub
    The model number designations came from the Lyman web site, Brownell's and Midway descriptions, etc. They led me to believe what I posted about which rifle(s) they fit. I agree that the Mauser, FN, etc. actions are drilled and tapped on the right side, as is this sight. Not owning either a Remington or Winchester, I have no way of checking to see where their aperture sight holes are located. Hole spacing is about .595 center to center, and the eye piece only threads on one way. If this will work on my 98, I'll keep it. You guys have really given me an education!

Boolit Master
    The obvious reason for mounting this type of peep sight on the right side of the Mauser action is the fact that the Mauser bolt release is on the right side. On the Winchester the bolt release is on the rear of the action. I have a box of these sights for various actions.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by pkie44 View Post
    I'm thinking the aperture is screwed in the front. Mounts on left.
    I think you are right. The eyecup is covering the wind age hash marks. One Gun Andy- is this true?

Boolit Buddy
    The steel lymans that I have all have the windage hashmarks in plain view. It looks to me that someone has put the aperture in from the wrong side.

Boolit Master
    I think Bubba is right. I got out my box of sights and will attach a picture. It looks like someone combined parts from two different sights. In the picture the two on the right are Mauser & the one on the left is Winchester. You cannot simply move the aperture from front to back because the threads do not go all the way through.

Boolit Master
    I'll take it. PM inbound.

Boolit Bub
    I see what you mean. I'm going to ask that this item be pulled until I can get the sight corrected. You guys have been a wealth of information!

I'm to lazy to get book, this is Left mounted sight. Aperature is in backwards. WJS is the code,
    the sight you want is for Mauser, Enfield, Jap- I forget what Lyman code is- Williams code JEM!
    I have a couple of them NIB.

Boolit Bub
    Administrator, Please remove this listing as the part I have posted is in need of repair, as per the knowledgeable and gracious members here, that I was unaware of until posting.
    Thank you!

Boolit Man
    Frankly, I think someone just took it apart and reversed the part that the aperature screws in to. Can't talk specifically about Lyman, but I have some Williams 70's, and I'm certain that someone did that to one of them because the aperature only screws in one way--they had to turn that piece around to get the aperature on the wrong side.

JMO.

Good score Gnoahhh. Still a good deal. I was wavering.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Sold to gnoahhh.