WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon SDB dies question 🔫

Boolit Master

Question Dillon SDB dies question 🔫

I bought my first SDB back when it was just a SD and cost $129.95

wondered if anyone was bothered about having to use Dillon's special SDB-dies in the machine?

I never found this to be a problem but then I started with the SD when I got into reloading as an adult
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

No. Not bothered. When I wanted to expand, I sold the Square Deal b and bought an XL650. I did try the caliber change once, but it was a pain. So I changed presses.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a low cost progressive that used proprietary dies. I knew that when I paid. Nothing to be bothered about.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I didn't know there was any difference in the dies on the SD & SDB.

The two I have are also the first generation before they had the low primer alarm, failsafe rod, 650 primer bucket and the gusset cast into the rear of the frame.

Never had any issues with any of the dies but all of my sets are at least 20 years old with the originals being over 30. There is a difference in the threaded adjusters though and I have both the old style that look like a bolt head and the new style where some are rounded and open at the top.

Oh, I think you might have been asking about the propriety dies or non 7/8-14 dies in general. I imagine some might shy away from the press because of that, I imagine more would frown on it being for only the pistol calibers they offer conversions in though.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Not a problem , I use the press for one cartridge only and generally only one load .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Both of mine are set up for one caliber apiece, but I just live with those die sets because of the job the press does!!! Doesn't bother me, I knew the deal when I got them! But, I also started with a RL 450!!! ( thanks ,dad) my .02 .
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I don't own one, was always tempted but never dove in. I wish I'd have bought one back in the early '90's and maybe I wouldn't have tried so many different handguns! But back then it was cheap and you knew what you got as a given. Now days I don't think I'd want one because they are so dang small! I don't think I've got the coordination to get my fat fingers in it!

Boolit Master

I have had a SDB for abt 7yr now. The dies are no problem. I cbought tool heads and conversions for about 8 different calibers. Now to chabge calibers, it takes me about 5min. All the tool heads are set up to my loading requirements, so it's 5min and I'm back in business
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

I have 2 SDB's. One set up for small primers, the other for large. If you have die plates the caliber change is 5-10 minutes. If I were to start over and was 30 years younger I'd have a 650, but I'm happy with my SDB setups. Most of my shooting is pistol.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1_Ogre View Post
    I bought tool heads and conversions for about 8 different calibers. Now to change calibers, it takes me about 5min. All the tool heads are set up to my loading requirements, so it's 5min and I'm back in business
    same here. Also have acquired a number of powder measures over the years and as I use one powder have the amount each one throws taped to the front. Seems my 44 Mag and 45 C have the same powder load for cowboy shooting
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Not a problem , I use the press for one cartridge only and generally only one load .

Jack
    Ditto. My SDB is a dedicated 45 ACP press loading 200 gr SWC. I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.