Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sizing patched bullets

Sizing patched bullets

I'm patching a 200g plain base for a 7,62x54R.
    They are cast from a Cu babbit enriched alloy. These first ones are actually powder coated because I had already done it for a previously failed project.

The bullets sized back to .303 easily in two steps. .311-.309 then to .303 That's about .0015 over bore. It's the only sizer I have access to that's close enough. [for now]

The paper is Southworth 25% cotton business paper. It wraps easily and once dried is TIGHT!
    My biggest question though, is there some limit to sizing back patched bullets? After the patch dries it measures about .315 but with a little dab of Johnson's paste wax, they slid through a .311 sizer with ease and the patch is NOT torn or damaged at all. The only thing is, they come out of the sizer looking like they were patched in wax paper. The look of the white paper wrapping is totally changed. Obviously looks mean nothing, only results.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    I've had some which had that appearance. I believe it's caused by compression of the paper when sizing and I haven't found it to be a problem.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Sound just right to me------exactly what my 375 H&H bullets look like

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    the easiest way to check if what your doing will work is after you size one down to your goal peel the paper back off the bullet, then see if it drops down the bore as especially for smokeless casting you want to have the bullet at least land sized that said i typically size mine down just for the ease of loading and it also does a nice job of water proofing the patch

I tore one patch off because I wasn't happy with how straight I rolled it. I checked the OD of the bullet before repatching it and setting it to dry. It was right on the money. It won't drop down the bore as it's about a thousandth over bore. The finished product is a thousandth or so over bore and patched a thousandth and a half over groove.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Sounds like it time to load-em-----shoot-em and see how they work

Dave

In Remembrance

Your concern about the paper jacket after final sizing with JPW lube sounds like what my .338 and .416 wrapped boolets look like before loading.Robert

Boolit Master
    Obviously looks mean nothing,
    Oh but it does. Overly penetrated patch paper by a waxy boolit lube {I found} inhibit a papers tearing/shredding once resizing compression has been applied.

As for me. I stopped lubing my patched boolits. Although I do resize them if their 2-wrap creates a way overbore circumference beyond my barrels need.

Knowing my boolits intentional resizing to .301 prior to their patching and then patched up to .313 in two wraps. I know there's allot of soft un-lubed paper in those two wraps to protect its cast at rifling's entrance. Not so sure lubed saturated paper that resembles a cardboard substance after its compression/resizing garners on time shredding {if at all} at rifling's end.