Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Bullet stuck in barrel

Boolit Master

it's not really that much different that shooting a breach seated bullet.
    Think of the chamber and the length of the bore up to the stuck bullet as being the whole chamber in this case. Lots of room for pressure build up and gas expansion. Pressure build up isn't any more extreme than Larry's example of a breach seated bullet (or artillery projectile in a cannon) and given the expansion area or volume, probably much less. Try a cast bullet level load of Unique or similar powder and you'll find the bullet gone. I would lightly lube the bore in front of the bullet to ease its travel, but that really is optional.

And as most posters insinuate, don't try and shoot it out with another bullet. That's an obstruction and the cause of many a bulged and ruined barrel.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-12-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    One word of caution if you try to shoot the projectile out. If the load does not push the projectile clear of the barrel you may now have a rather highly pressurized container. For example on a bolt action rifle as you raise the bolt it will rapidly accelerate to the rear possibly damaging any body parts (think thumb) that attempt to slow it down.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen the demonstration of the Otis cleaning kits ( the cable pull thrus ) pushing stuck bullets out of barrels with the solid cupped end. These were jacketed bullets though. You slide it down and start tapping lightly and quickly and pretty soon the bullet is out. Takes a little longer than a rod and hammer but can be done. I have a couple brass rods with sliding hammers on them for this at the range. The cupped end helps keep from deforming the bullet a lot. A heavy rod and solid pushing blows from a heavier hammer with a solid set up holding the firearm usually does the trick a little penetrating oil and left to work helps sometimes also. In a few instances a long smaller drill and drilling a hole thru the bullet will relieve the force holding it also. Here a small hole leaving enough to still push solidly against is important. other wise you have a thin ring and no way to move it. Go slow and think things thru first have a plan and go with it. A 3/16" brass rod with a 3/32" ( .093 dia) soldered into it and wrapped with tape ill normally work with 22 cals. removing the center thru allows it bullet to collapse easier then slide out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... and here's a video how to remove the bullet in a handgun or a rifle using water ...
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2&action=click

Old gunsmiths also used motor oil that has a higher viscosity
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cast367 View Post
    I had seen a FMJ bullit stuck halfway in a 30-06 barrel.The solution was simpel.A case filled with a normal powder load , a little dacron.
    Fired , and the bullit was removed.

Sounds dangerous! Normal power load, hum what is the load density now that you have a "chamber" X 2 or 3 volume with a nice WAD of dacron to compress air and clobber that stuck projo, sounds like SEE waiting to happen. Hatcher tried it once and lived so must be fine! Not me or mine thank you.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    The water method worked for me.
    I had a bullet stuck in a .45 colt. Filled the barrel up with water up to the stuck bullet then fired a case with 1 grains of unique powder with a card wad seated against the powder. worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    One word of caution if you try to shoot the projectile out. If the load does not push the projectile clear of the barrel you may now have a rather highly pressurized container. For example on a bolt action rifle as you raise the bolt it will rapidly accelerate to the rear possibly damaging any body parts (think thumb) that attempt to slow it down.
    The pressure will lock the case body onto the chamber wall and the case head will separate. Don't ask me how I know. (Never did find that case head).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

The one time I had to remove a stuck boolit, I used a 4 lb drilling hammer. No bounce. Use same to make a impact cast of the throat.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a 1/4" brass welding rod and a blacksmith sledge if need be. I have just turned the rifle over and taped the rod to the muzzle with the end against the bullet (boolit) and using the weight of the gun about a foot off the floor (carpet covered concrete in the shop) and hit the end of the brass rod on the floor. One or the other works every time

Boolit Master

witht he bullet only stuck 1" in.. I simply can't imagine it being this hard to remove.

Boolit Master
    These are all very good examples as why I choose to do a Barrel Cast with Cerosafe , rather than trying to Slug the Bore.
    If a Cerosafe casting ever gets stuck , you just warm the barrel with a heat gun and it pushes right out, or even pours right out

Boolit Grand Master

This would be a good test for Larry to do for the forum though. Lets say take his favorite 06 equipped with a strain gauge, drive a 150 grain Hornady spire point 12 inches into the barrel and load a case with 49 grains of 4895 topped off with a wad of dacron to hold the powder in place, fire it and show the results here. I'm in!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post

Sounds dangerous! Normal power load, hum what is the load density now that you have a "chamber" X 2 or 3 volume with a nice WAD of dacron to compress air and clobber that stuck projo, sounds like SEE waiting to happen. Hatcher tried it once and lived so must be fine! Not me or mine thank you.
    No, Hatcher reported that the Army did it this way routinely. A vastly different statement. And I would say that Hatcher reported it, tested it that it was safe, but would not 'recommend' it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    I was trying mild loads in my 336 marlin 32 win spcl. to catch the bullets in cardboard. I shot 1, didn't see it hit so shot another. ended up with 2 bullets stuck 1/2 way down the tube. I bought a hardend 1/4 steel rod from HD cleand it with acetone then wraped it with 2" blue painters tape. (I layed out the piece of tape sticky side up taping the ends to the table and rolled the steel rod onto the tape and wrapped 1 layer pressing the rod firmly against the table and trimming the end of the tape as I wrapped getting a tight smooth layer.) I repeated this until the tape wrapped rod barely fit the barrel (no chance for the rod to dig into the rifling). Next I cut the taped rod 1" longer than the barrel and used a 1/2 in rubber washer as a possibile buffer between hammer and barrel (I didn't need it once the bullets broke loose light taps moved them out). I used a small 4 # sledge hammer and gripped the protruding taped rod with a pair of padded vise grips to help keep it from flexing. You wount need this because you only have inches to go. Took a few hard wacks to get the bullets moving then they tapped easilly through the barrel. The barrel looked/shot perfect after completing this.
    I had some lite loads of powder with me held in the case with wax to extricate possible stuck bullets but since I had gotten 2 stuck I didn't feel comfortable trying to shoot it out.
    If you are worrid about extracating the bullet, you can take it to a gunsmith who can used pressurized grease to force it out.

Boolit Master
    when thy are that close to the end. I use a dent puller. the slide hammer will pull it out. I have used a hydraulic press and pushed them put.

Perma-Banned
    The primer method works well. You can even top it with a few grs of FFG.

Boolit Master
    years ago I would keep slowing down a load till it stuck in barrel. I was wanting to see how much ooomph it took to move a boolit thru barrel and out at the correct end. In all my clearing the barrel episodes I never ever had a slight glimpse or thought to use some powder to blast it out!! I have done alot of creative things with a gun and trying things but using powder is not in my nuggin. Did any of you lift a bolt on a action that has a stuck bullet and it is well sealed in barrel? That bolt really pops back with force! I know what I am speaking of. I would use water and hydraulic pressure.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Someone got a bullet stuck in a .38 and used a steel rod to hammer it out. Rod slid off the front of the bullet and gouged the crud out of the bore. They sold the gun to to some idiot at a gun show. I cleaned up the divit and it still shoots but I keep it around as a reminder to NOT be that idiot that buys someone else's mistakes again.. I will not hammer on anything steel in a gun bore. Brass or nothing. I just get the brass rod closest to bore size for slugging barrels at Tractor Supply. I also lube the barrels with PTFE grease before I slug them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15-4.jpg  

Boolit Master

Not exactly sure what that picture is of, or attempts to show, so I won't speculate.

Per the 'story'.. if a steel rod was able to slip off the bullet and into the bore, sounds like they were using something very slim like a cleaning rod, vs a rod just small enough to slip into the bbl.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    No, Hatcher reported that the Army did it this way routinely. A vastly different statement. And I would say that Hatcher reported it, tested it that it was safe, but would not 'recommend' it.
    Not recommending it sounds like good advice!
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast