MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Bullet stuck in barrel

HELP: Bullet stuck in barrel

I was going to pound a bullet through an old mauser barrel to see how hard it would be to push through and then measure it. I had done it with soft lead and got .312".

My cast bullets were .315". I was hoping it would not need to be resized. Alloy is COWW +2% Sn. Powder coated.

It stopped fast as soon as it dug into the rifling. I turned the gun around and put my brass rod in from the front and tried to pound it out. No Luck.

I have it soaking in oil now.... But I am clueless as to how to remove it. Suggestions?

Would it be safe to shoot empty brass with primer only to push it out?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bne View Post
    would it be safe to shoot empty brass with primer only to push it out?
    No!!!
    USMC 6638

ADMIN

How far from the end is it?
    You can get a long wood screw and screw into it and try to pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

If you hit it hard enough, it will move. Just make sure you dont hit the gun when it breaks loose.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If you hit it hard enough, it will move. Just make sure you dont hit the gun when it breaks loose.
    This....I got one jammed myself. My problem was not have a secure enough vice to hold the rifle.
    Local machine shop had the solution.
    They had every conceivable way to hold a round object with out damage. Then used hard plastic rod... i would swear this stuff was metal. Also had every way to "drill" out that bullet if needed.
    Sadly we lost that great machine shop to TX. It's hard finding any machine shop to do small projects. Even harder to find a worthy gun smith.

Brass rod... hit it harder. It will come out.

Boolit Master

Fill with oil and let it sit overnight. Now you need to find a material that is thin enough to act as a gasket between your rod and bore.
    Then push/tap/brisk rap it out hydroliclly. Works every time.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Can be hard to do. Yep protect the barrel as leebuilder said. Use copper or brass sheeting wrap end of rod. Should move takes well over 2000 pounds to push it through the barrel. Be careful and relaxed take your time. 1/4 steel rod or 3/16 don't thing a clean rod would hold up too well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Would it be safe to shoot empty brass with primer only to push it out?
    NO!!! You'll bulge (or ring) the barrel if you try that.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I had one stick about 6 inches up the bore. Soaked the bore with Kroil overnight. I got a steel rod from the hardware store, the biggest diameter that would fit in the bore. Then I took the edge off one end with some emery paper, just enough so it wasn't sharp. Wrapped the rod in plastic electrical tape. Put some carpet on the workbench, put the rifle on the carpet, put my 220 pound brother on the rifle, put the rod up the muzzle being sure that it was sitting on the bullet, smacked the rod with my 16 oz hammer. When my brother said "Ouch" I put some more carpet between him and the rifle.

The rifle moved a bit so I lost efficiency but the bullet moved. I was a bit nervous so after hitting the rod I would pull it out and examine the tape to make sure it wasn't torn, etc. which would indicate it bouncing against the rifling. Everything was good. It took a dozen good whacks but the bullet moved every time and popped right out.

TIP - remove the bolt so it doesn't get hit when the bullet and rod come flying out. If you can't remove the bolt the stuff a cleaning or shop rag in the receiver to absorb the movement of the bullet and rod coming out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have done just as toymaker says. It's a pain but does work and protect the gun in the process.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Short blows with a heavy hammer are better than fast strikes with a lighter hammer.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Man
    I had seen a FMJ bullit stuck halfway in a 30-06 barrel.The solution was simpel.A case filled with a normal powder load , a little dacron.
    Fired , and the bullit was removed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cast367 View Post
    I had seen a FMJ bullit stuck halfway in a 30-06 barrel.The solution was simpel.A case filled with a normal powder load , a little dacron.
    That sounds dangerous and I would expect at the least a bulged/ruined barrel, maybe lost fingers, eye or worse.
    Charter Member #148

Thanks to all those who replied. It has soaked over night. It only has to move about an inch. The bolt comes out easily. I have electrical tape every 6 inches on the brass rod.

I'm standing it up but to the concrete floor and tapping the rod from the muzzle. I have a piece of carpet under the but of the gun. May replace that with wood.

Will let you know.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

In Remembrance

imashootr2 has the right idea. Sharp hits with a light hammer will deform/obturate the bullet. Using a heavy hammer allows the hammer's inertia to move e bullet without causing it to expand in the bore.

No luck so far. Work is sending me out of town this week. I'm going to have to let it soak.

This is frustrating!

Thanks for all the replies. I have access to a machine shop. May have to see what can be done there.

Will keep you posted.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I use one of these cordless nail drivers on the end of a brass rod. The brass rod is solid that I use for slugging barrels, the nail driver hits it with hundreds of hits a min and drives them right thru.
    jim

In Remembrance

A 'knowledgeable friend' ruined/bulged a finest-kind 29" 7x57 Mauser bbl. for me doing just that with a steel rod and an impact wrench. My fault: primer, no powder in Pb load, and accepting his 'solution'.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cast367 View Post
    While it sounds dangerous it really isn't. Actually Hatcher recommends that method......just make sure it is only the bullet that is in the barrel.......it's not really that much different that shooting a breach seated bullet.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast