RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: '03A3, paper-patch cast, 1000 yds.

Boolit Master

'03A3, paper-patch cast, 1000 yds.

Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

His group could be measured in feet is not yards. Throw enough lead and you will hit it a time or two. Looks like fun, but not impressive.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Once he walked it up to the target vicinity, it was quite good. I seem to remember the black bullseye was twenty inches in diameter on the thousand yard target, so these were (in my day) fives and fours. Good proof of concept.

Edit: Maybe the twenty inch black was six hundred yards, and the thousand yard black was thirty-six inches. A couple of those shots were 5Vs, anyway.
    Last edited by 26Charlie; 06-11-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Thoughts resurfacing
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

The velocity he is getting with the paper patch boolits #311299 is really quite good, not much different than jacketed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Once he walked it up to the target vicinity, it was quite good. I seem to remember the black bullseye was twenty inches in diameter on the thousand yard target, so these were (in my day) fives and fours. Good proof of concept.

Edit: Maybe the twenty inch black was six hundred yards, and the thousand yard black was thirty-six inches. A couple of those shots were 5Vs, anyway.
    They (NRA High Power targets) should have been basically 24" at 600 yards and 36" at 1000 yards.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    They (NRA High Power targets) should have been basically 24" at 600 yards and 36" at 1000 yards.

Larry Gibson
    To my knowledge, the High Power bulls are 6" per 100 yds, so that'd be 60" @ 1000 yds.. I have a 600 yd. repair center and the bull is 36". I used it as a pattern to build my 600 yd. steel target.

My 200 yd. target is built to these spec's as well:

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I know Ernie personally and he is the best shot I have ever seen, what that man can do with a rifle is just unbelievable. Anyone in the LA area can visit him.at the west Thompson range near Fillmore CA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    To my knowledge, the High Power bulls are 6" per 100 yds, so that'd be 60" @ 1000 yds.. I have a 600 yd. repair center and the bull is 36". I used it as a pattern to build my 600 yd. steel target.

My 200 yd. target is built to these spec's as well:

35W
    You are correct, I've no idea where I came up with 24"......my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Larry Gibson

The current LR target (800, 900, and 1000 yards) has an aiming black of 44 inches: that's the 8,9,10 and X rings. The ten ring is 20 inches, the X ring ten inches.
    The old Charlie target, the aiming black was 36 inches, and that was the 5 ring. The V ring was added sometime in the 1920's. That would have been the target that the Krag engaged in it's day.
    There is insufficient elevation on the as-issued 03A3 rear sight (even with a VERY short front sight) to get a Sierra 190 grain Match King with 54 grains of 4350 on paper at 1000 yards, so this guy has to be holding many feet over the target.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    Last edited by Bob S; 06-30-2017 at 02:00 AM.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master

35 Whelen, I give you a big thumb's up and a pat on the back.

You have a perfect set-up!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    The current LR target (800, 900, and 1000 yards) has an aiming black of 44 inches: that's the 8,9,10 and X rings. The ten ring is 20 inches, the X ring ten inches.
    The old Charlie target, the aiming black was 36 inches, and that was the 5 ring. The V ring was added sometime in the 1920's. That would have been the target that the Krag engaged in it's day.
    There is insufficient elevation on the as-issued 03A3 rear sight (even with a VERY short front sight) to get a Sierra 190 grain Match King with 54 grains of 4350 on paper at 1000 yards, so this guy has to be holding many feet over the target.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    It's interesting how the black centers have actually increased in time from the early small bulls to the current diameters. Early sights were definately designed for the visually acute with their small apertures and narrow blade front sights. Small bulls, and abreviated sights evolved to a much more usalble size for the average shooter. For me, the old "A" and "B" targets with the V center, 5 black and 3 and 4 white rings were always a challenge. The current SR 2, and 3, the MR 6 and the LR targets are about right when shooting the NM, and long range courses of fire.

35 Whelen,

That's a very nice set up. Years ago while at the Yakima Firing Center, my team mates and I removed several inspection plates from the bottom of some M60 tanks waiting to be towed out to the artillery and anti-tank ranges. They are the perfect size to mimic the SR 3 bull for 300 yard shooting. They are armour plate so they resist bullet strikes well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    It's interesting how the black centers have actually increased in time from the early small bulls to the current diameters. Early sights were definately designed for the visually acute with their small apertures and narrow blade front sights. Small bulls, and abreviated sights evolved to a much more usalble size for the average shooter. For me, the old "A" and "B" targets with the V center, 5 black and 3 and 4 white rings were always a challenge. The current SR 2, and 3, the MR 6 and the LR targets are about right when shooting the NM, and long range courses of fire.
    Yup. Even when I was 17 I had trouble with the old targets. The original Able target had an 8 inch bull and no V ring. That was before my time, thankfully.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master

At 1000 yards I want a motar or arty back up.