Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REALLY hard to leave the 45/70 at home but ------------------------

Boolit Master

REALLY hard to leave the 45/70 at home but ------------------------

-------------- hope to take a deer with my RUGER 77/44 this Fall.

Have tested a number of powders in the 44, and up until this past Wed, H110 and Lil'Gun seemed to be getting the nod for 100yd accuracy.

However, wanted to test other powders that I had on hand or could easily find one of which is 2400 which I can't find any place short of ordering along with it's Hazmat fees. Bad news to pay more for the fees then for the LB. of powder.

Anyway, this past Wed. I tested Unique and Blue Dot. The Unique giving so so results at best, but the Blue Dot showing encouraging 50yd results.

Tests all with my 275gr Wide Float Nose cast from an Accurate Mold and sized at .431. This is a .444 bullet cast for my son, but feeds well in the little bolt action .44 rifle.

Good enough that I will again load up some test loads for 100yd. tests along with possibly some more H110 and Lil'Gun.

When I was done with the tests of the two powders, I fired a couple clips full of H110 loads (total 8 rounds) at 50yds, with 6 shots going into 1 7/16" and the other two opening the group to 3 1/2"

Started the Blue Dot tests at 14.5gr and increased to 16gr in half grain steps, that load putting 5 rounds into 1 1/2" and 4 of the 5 into 1". Velocity 1616fps

The H110 load gave an 8 shot average of 1685fps

Think I'm closing in on my .44 deer getter.

It is time to segregate bullets by weight to see if I can cut down on fliers and head for the range with more test loads.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy

Too many guns/cartridges, too little time!!

You can't go wrong either way! 44 or 45-70.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Bub
    Wish we were close CDOC, I'd give you some 2400 for testing the 275gn .44 projectiles.

I use a .432 300gn Beartooth Bullet clone from Accurate Molds with H110 or 2400. The H110 load is my most refined as time has been scarce since Jan. when I found a little 2400.

From a rifle, the .44mag hand loads can really do a lot more than I expected. The target backing board and berm complain. The deer I got folded straight down on it's foot prints.

Boolit Master
    Hey there Kobeinu, how about we meet half way for coffee ?

One of the good things about this forum is the people willing to share. I'll have some cast 465gr Wide Flat Nose bullet out in the mail today or Tuesday. Headed for Oregon.

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing CDOC.......I'll be working on my loads for my 77/44 soon. I have a lot of 2400 on hand. I'll be shooting two heavies with it 43-300H and the 43-280G both from Tom at Accurate. Ordered it as a two cavity mold to cast at .433 I think of it as my Mini Me 45-70. I was hoping for 1500 fps, but it seems that 1600 would be doable with the load data results you have posted. Thanks again

Boolit Master
    35Whelen,

I'll need to go to Tom's catalog and see what your using.

I know the one I'm using is short enough for the RUGER, so I'll check your out.

I have a 310gr Wide Flat Nose that I cast from a LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) mold, but the nose is waaaaaay to long for the RUGER

I used the Lyman cast bullet book for load data, and find it a bit funny that they list much heavier bullets in their .44 mag handgun data then they do in their rifle data.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    Crusty.....these two were selected for their overall length, so that they would cycle.....I think max was 1.610 and these will work with a bit of room to spare. Took my time picking them and making sure OAL would work. Thanks....and you are right about Lyman I found the load data a bit odd for rifle too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-300H-D.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	197485
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-280FG-D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	197486
    Last edited by 35Whelen; 06-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Perma-Banned
    As Elmer proved a 44 is deadly on deer.

Boolit Master
    Yep, that he did!

35Whelen,

Have you had a chance to test them yet?

Both look like they might work in my son's triple 4.

The mold I'm using for the .44 is a triple 4 mold.

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    I have been working on a cast load for my 44 handi. I wanted a moderate load capable of short tomedium range deer hunting from a stand. I found good results with some Universal. No chronograph but I imagine the deer wonk care exactly how fast they are going when the get hit.

Boolit Buddy
    CDOC......no haven't had time yet to do any testing I was pissing around with trying to get my 429421 to work...even thought of trimming the cases back to allow that bullet to be used, Did a few and ran a few rounds through; they fed ok, then rethought it and figured why shorten a case just to get a bullet to work...order a bullet mold that works for the case. Can't wait to see what the 300 grn with that big meplat will do....it should make a heck of a whack.

Boolit Master
    35Whelen,

I tried some semi-wad cutters in the RUGER with POOR results!

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    Nice to know thanks Crusty.......I never did ask Tom what Front band Tolerance centered meant on his drawings, but it sure looked like a winning design in my books.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it was me, the .44 would be staying home and I would hunt with the 45/70. My buddy let me shoot his older model Marlin with Trapdoor loads and I really liked it. Since then I have wanted one but really cannot justify it.

Caliber wise it is a no brainer. For hunting, the .45/70 is superior.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Don,

No question in that what you say is true. However, I have the .44 and want to take a deer with it just cause. It will stay at home when I head out for early season cow elk in Aug. with the 45/70!

CDOC

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Don,

No question in that what you say is true. However, I have the .44 and want to take a deer with it just cause. It will stay at home when I head out for early season cow elk in Aug. with the 45/70!

CDOC
    I understand perfectly!! The need to let the new toy get the job done....and the pride of doing it with your own ammunition.

BTW, I yearned for the same gun in .38/.357. I thought it would make a great plinking, close varmint, fun, and walking around gun. But they sure were expensive. By the time I factored in a decent scope, I was north of $850....ouch!! Plus some of the .38/.357 owners were reporting medicore accuracy.

It looks like you are closing in on a load for her. Good luck!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I guess you could say I "lucked" out on this one. Friend was down sizing and I bought this rifle for $400 barely used. So I got into it including the shim kit, trigger sear and scope for well below your figure.

I truth is, I needed this rifle like a another hole in my head. But, it is interesting and I already cast for .44s and then with the .444 bullet for the son's rifle I'm already on that playing field.

I think the little rifle would take an elk at reasonable range and with a well placed shot, but the 45/70 is already well proven in that endeavor so there is no need to take the chance. Why mess with success?

CDOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post

Anyway, this past Wed. I tested Unique and Blue Dot. The Unique giving so so results at best, but the Blue Dot showing encouraging 50yd results.

Tests all with my 275gr Wide Float Nose cast from an Accurate Mold and sized at .431. This is a .444 bullet cast for my son, but feeds well in the little bolt action .44 rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    i use an 280gr wfn(montana bullets) sized at .431". i use it in my ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel). now i know that yours is no revolver, but it doesn't like unique!!! quick, we have to take it to the gods!!! they'll know what to do!!!

i can do up to 3" at 30 yards(i know but disabled) with my revolver and unique. 220, 250 hp and 280gr are what i use. 2400 is scare in my neck of woods too. i'm down to two lbs of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I understand perfectly!! The need to let the new toy get the job done....and the pride of doing it with your own ammunition.

BTW, I yearned for the same gun in .38/.357. I thought it would make a great plinking, close varmint, fun, and walking around gun. But they sure were expensive. By the time I factored in a decent scope, I was north of $850....ouch!! Plus some of the .38/.357 owners were reporting medicore accuracy.

It looks like you are closing in on a load for her. Good luck!!
    Wow...you guys are lucky having such great pricing !!!!! I paid 950 up here in Canada...and that was just the rifle, no rings, no scope.....LOL Bend over please sir I have a deal for you

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    Wow...you guys are lucky having such great pricing !!!!! I paid 950 up here in Canada...and that was just the rifle, no rings, no scope.....LOL Bend over please sir I have a deal for you
    Well, your dollar is worth about $.75 US, so not too much different. Ruger can sell an Axis for less than $300 but the M77 in a pistol caliber is more than double the price.

BTW, no offense meant about "your" dollar. I am a dual citizen US/CAN. LOL
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast