RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Why no .400 RB moulds?

Why no .400 RB moulds?

After more years than I care to think about my Lee .400" single cavity round ball mold has gone south. I'm looking for a replacement but can't find anything in .400. What gives???? Seems things jump from .395 to .450 and I can't even find a Lee in .400

I'd prefer steel and single cavity in .400 inch. Can anyone point me in a direction, any direction but I'd prefer one toward my goal

Much thanks. Keep yer powder dry.

Boolit Grand Master

The reason would be what current gun they make would a .400 fit? There is someone that (the name escapes me at the moment) in England that will make any size you want at a reasonable cost. It's a brass single cavity mould though but he comes highly recommended.
    Aim small, miss small!

Arrow

The old Dixie Gun Works/Turner Kirkland "tong" type molds are one possibility. Although brass, rather than iron, Jeff Tanner moulds are worth looking into as you can specify the exact diameter you want (no sprue cutter though, just like the Kirkland ones). Hope this helps!

Got one of the .395's from Lee that falls out at .397.
    Which reminds me I need to go look for some of them.

Mooman76 - When I made the rifle more NMLRA off-hand rifle matches were won, more NMLRA off-hand rifle National Championships were won, and more NMLRA off-hand records were set by 40 caliber rifles than any other caliber.
    Same goes for heavy bench rifles in 54 caliber so I got me one of them too.
    Yeppers ... took a couple of years but the blind squirrel eventually found a couple of nuts.

Maven - Thank you. I'll look for Jeff Tanner and see what I can find. Appreciate it.

Good Cheer - I was thinking about getting a .395 and "Beagling" it. Did that with a bullet, but how would I push it through a sizing die and round it out?

Thanks, guys. We'll see if some other ideas come across.

Boolit Master

In Remembrance

Somebody want to run a "group-buy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Mooman76 - When I made the rifle more NMLRA off-hand rifle matches were won, more NMLRA off-hand rifle National Championships were won, and more NMLRA off-hand records were set by 40 caliber rifles than any other caliber.
    Same goes for heavy bench rifles in 54 caliber so I got me one of them too.
    Yeppers ... took a couple of years but the blind squirrel eventually found a couple of nuts.

Maven - Thank you. I'll look for Jeff Tanner and see what I can find. Appreciate it.

Good Cheer - I was thinking about getting a .395 and "Beagling" it. Did that with a bullet, but how would I push it through a sizing die and round it out?

Thanks, guys. We'll see if some other ideas come across.
    It might be better to just polish it out with round ball castings and valve grinding compound.
    I say might based upon past experience with Lee round ball molds.
    You know how their claim to fame is the flush cut-off on the sprew? I've had a mold that it was so "flush" that the ball really had a flat round nose. This was a .350 ball with a huge flat nose! Way much goofy and no way to load accurately.
    Any how, what I was thinking was maybe get a .395 and polish it out to be big enough to work like you want it to. I was just looking and they got .395 molds in stock.
    And 10ring.com is one of my very favorite go-to's for such things and they got them five bucks cheaper than Lee does.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe check pedersoli. I think they make a steel two cavity mold in .400.

Harleyboss - Pedersoli does indeed have a double in .400, but it doesn't seem you can order from their website. But they have a whole list of distributors which I can check out. One is only about 60 miles from me and I've done business with them before.
    Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Great. Hope it works out.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Search Tanner Molds.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have a old lyman in .400. if all else fails bring your lead up and make a run. there is a gun shop near me that has some old lyman molds. I will check and see what they have.

Give Larry Callahan a try. He's a great guy to do business with.
    http://www.bagmolds.com/UNZIPPED/htdocs/1.shtml
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

I see that Buffalo Arms has .395 and .410 moulds, but no .400 moulds are listed. (They were the only one I could find that had the .410" round ball mould that I needed for my Lee Enfield .410 Musket ...)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Rapine double cavity aluminum mould I bought a couple of years ago. It's in really nice condition with the original box and instructions. I could email you a picture of it if you'd want. It's for sale, 50.00 shipped.

Thanks

Everyone ... especially Harleyboss and Kcajeel .... Thank you, very much, for your input. I FOUND ONE!!! I got a response ON SUNDAY no less to an email query I'd sent out. I should have a mould in 10 days. I have enough roundball for the competition this weekend so all is good.

Again, thank you, everyone. Appreciate your help.

Boolit Buddy
    You're welcome and I hope things work out for you.

Kcajeel

Boolit Mold
    @kcajeel if your Rapine .400 mold is still available I will buy it.

Thanks!

Ethan