Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Questions about slugging my bore

Boolit Master

Questions about slugging my bore

I load for my Bulgarian Makarov and my Polish P64. I have been casting Lee RN .365 bullets. No problems with the Bulgarian Makarov but the P64 is giving me a hard time feeding the rounds. I don't know if anybody else casts for these pistol but there is not a lot of info or supply's readily available for the 9x18. Even factory brass can be tough to find. if you can find it, they want an arm & leg for it (starline wants like $0.19 a case). What I'm getting at is the best sorce for info on the P64 is the Internet. Based on my research I strongly suspect that my Ftf issue with my P64 is a sizing issue. So I want to slug my bore before I order my sizing die from lee ( it a special order from lee) and I have a couple questions on the slugging practices. First off on a pistol like The P64 ( fixed, pinned barrel) is it better to start from the breech or the muzzle. Also can I use one of my cast bullets or due I have to make a special slug. If I do have to make a slug, I could use some suggestions on how to make it and what should I make it from. Does it have to be pure lead or can I use wheel weights?
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

In straight wall pistol cartridges I use a fired case with the used primer in place. Once poured use a kinetic boolit puller. Yup can use wheel weight metal but the harder the metal the harder to get it through the bore.do not push it through with a Woden dowel.

Boolit Master

Don't use anything harder than plane lead, PB. Fishing weights work fine. Get a brass rod from home depot or a steel rod and wrap it in shrink wrap. Don't use wood. Wood can break and then your in a mess. If the bbl is locked on the receiver then start from the muzzle. If you don't have any black powder stuff you can use Crisco and lube up the fishing weight some thing big enough to get a snug fit. Start it off with a hammer and a peace of wood, a few good wacks and you should be on your way. Nothing to fear this is how they loaded their guns for 100's of years. Once the bullet is started switch to the brass rod and keep it moving should be easy going now. Just don't use a three foot section for a 3 inch bbl. 4 or 5 inches should do you right. Once your done measure with calipers and then size your boolits .001 to .002 over grove diameter.
    Try to seat and crimp in two steps. This may be your hold up. Field strip the bbl and seat a boolit till it plops in the bbl. If it won't then crimp it till it does. You may find this answers your problems. Trim all the brass to the same length and then seat them and then crimp. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it may be what you have to do. Good luck. Pm me if you need help.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info gentleman. Kungfustyle if I run into problems I'll let you know. I appreciate the offer. I was planning to take care of everything this weekend, but do to some unforeseen, unrelated issues I'm going to have to put slugging my bore off till next week. Sometimes life has a way of causing a drastic change in plans. Two steps forward, three steps back. I did want to post my thanks and appreciation for the good info should I not be able to get online for a while. Every thing I have heard about this forum is spot on! Every one has been extremely helpful and A plethora of useful knowledge. I thank you one and all. I will be sure to let everyone know the results and size of the bore on my P64. It might just take a while.
    Thanks again,
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Kungfu told you right. I've an AR pistol in 300bo that I am starting to use cast with. Wanted to insure the size was right, there have been some variation. So I've a little bag of fishing weights that are about 3/8 diameter. I wrapped a rod that I had that was a quarter inch diameter really a big small, with some electrical tape and dribbled some oil down barrel and drove it thru. Easy as can be.

+1 for Kungfu

If you have trouble getting bullets to "plunk" into the stripped rifle. You may end up doing a chamber cast to see what your dealing with.

Like slugging only start with a empty case full of lead. Then a long bullet (or 2 short ones) that fits. Then Rap with rod till the whole works compresses as fills the space.

I have never done it with a pistol. With my Handi rifle this was a snap. Rapped until rod "bounced". Broke the action, rapped one more time and out it came.

You could see and measure exactly where the brass ends, what size the bullet needs to be to fill. And what size is too big and won't go in there.

Use that info to make a dummy round. Use that to set your dies. And you should be in business.

Good luck