RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Blue Sky Garand

Boolit Master

Blue Sky Garand

Back in the 1980's, a coworker father died. He was trying to sell his dad's stuff to pay off debts. I bought a Garand for about $200. I never put a lot of time into it since I am really a pistol guy. My club is a CMP club but I never had the time to take the course. What is up these rifles and what is the fix?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Grand Master

Blue Sky are re-imports. Condition varies greatly. At the time they were a very good value. I wished I purchased more. What issue are you having?

Built a couple of dozen service rifles on them. Other than shot out barrels never an real issues with any. I did see one that had timing issues but it stayed on the rack. Looked at a couple of hundred of them.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-09-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    I bought several of these Korean imports in the early 90's from Jerrys Sport Center. I paid $225.00 a piece if my memory serves me. All were refinished, considered non collectable. How times have changed.

Boolit Master
    I have a blue sky M1 carbine and other than the small import stamp on the underside of the barrel it's fine.
    Now blue sky has had there issues.
    There are some reported that the import stamp was struck so heavily it deformed the barrels. I have only seen 2 blue sky import M1s and they are far from refinished.
    Now I'm sure blue sky did everything they could to sell the several millions of dollars of product they bought. From refinishing to re barrel to just sell the darn things.
    A good inspection helps. Just bring it down to the cmp event at your club. There is always at least one person who knows enough to give the rifle a look over and then you can shoot the event.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine had both heavy wear at the muzzle and throat. but I bought it with the plan of rebarreling it to 308. Wood was a little rough gas system was worn bright and Parkerizing on barrel was thin. Receiver, bolt and parts were solid and in good shape.

Boolit Master

A friend bought one back in the day. We opened it up and the oprod spring fell out in a dozen pieces. The spring looked like it had been re-parkerized as well. Some money and work and it was up and running again.

So treat it like any old piece of equipment- good cosmetic condition does not mean it is sound. Have it checked out by someone who really knows Garands.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    When the OK was given to import Military Surplus arms once again in 85 or 86, Blue Sky Imports was one of the first to do so and brought in M1 Garands and M1 Carbines from S Korea.
    I was working in a large upstate NY gunshop in the early 90's and we had crates of both. None looked refinished. All were mixed parts and in what you could call serviceable condition,,they worked.
    A few gems among the lot were quickly weeded out for a higher price tagging, the rest were checked over and stuck on the racks for $250 for the M1's and IIRC the M1Carbines went for $169.95.
    We didn't 'gauge' them (bores, gas cylinders, ect) or anything like that. Just checked over, headspaced, cleaned of excess grease and placed out for sale.
    A few 'dogs' in each group (cracked stocks or poor bores) were discounted. But they all sold well to say the least/ Import marking was small & on the muzzle end of the bbl or on the gas cylinder itself.
    We had S/Korean mfg M1 GArand ammo in 50cal ammo boxes too packed in M1 clips & in bandoleers,,,&69.95 a box I believe it was 240rd/box.
    Some was corrosive (KA headstamp),,the other headstamp (can't recall what it was) was not.
    That we got from a wholesaler in KY. by the pallet load at around $42 a box delivered.

Fun times,I still have some of the ammo and 1 of the Blue Sky M1 Garands. Shoots well. Replaced the op-rod spring,,that's all.

Boolit Master
    Bought one years ago for $250 and came with a remington national match op rod. Stock was in decent shape except where the floor plate sits on the wood. Made up a couple brass shims to restore it and shot it like that for a couple years.When midway had the boyd's stock and handguards on sale got a set and installed it. Shot nice and still have it. Also got a blue sky M1 carbine and it and the garand have nice bores. Frank

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen a Blue Sky carbine since I looked at one that a fellow at a show was walking around with wanting to sell the carbine his uncle brought back from the war. I didn't say anything to him other than thanks for letting me look.

Boolit Master
    Please have someone who knows them and has the proper knowledge and tools give it a once over before you stick your nose over it. Checking headspace and dis/inspection of bolt a really good idea. As stated they run the board with the ones we went through, probably sold 40-50 back then, most being 1-3 mill SA's. Washed muzzles and big or out of headspace seemed to be the norm and high mileage on cyl/piston and really loose mismatched wood. I would think you did really well and way ahead $ in today world, receivers are going for more than your investment. GI finish receiver with polished contact areas, highly polished hammer, trigger sear faces are the beginning of a really nice shooter. If you need parts, let me know-

Boolit Master
    Remember well the day I bought mine. Buddy's gun shop had just taken in about 200 or the blue sky garands. Most still in the boxes. I asked what they were going for and when he told me I asked to go through the boxes to find a nice one. "What are you waiting for" he told me. Looked like a bunch of angry beavers what with all the guys opening the boxes and checking them out. Best deal on a firearm I ever did. Frank

In Remembrance

IIRC the bolts were painted black on those imports. Don`t know why this was done.Robert

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The only issues mine had was the op rod was in thirteen pieces and the metal rattled around in the wood . Both were pretty easy fixes and I used the rifle for many years .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I have an old Marine manual and I have taken the gun apart and back together. I think I will take to the club during service rifle time and see if I can talk to some of the members for their input. My bolt is not black and the wood is okay. I did fire the rifle and it did cycle the loads. I could not get the gun to zero at 100 yards.
    Leadmelter

Boolit Grand Master

Lead melter tjhere are several in the Toledo SE Michigan area that know these rifles but they are getting older and disappearing. If you can Catch the 30 cal league at Southern Michigan range in Temperance Michigan there will be somebody there at the match. I believe its on temperance road. second exit on 23 east a few miles.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You could also check in at the Washtenaw Sportsman's Club , they are very active in High Power too .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all. I am looking to get this gun going in between chemo treatments.
    Leadmelter