WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Flame throwing 9mm Major rounds?

All this sounds to me like you guys are playing a dangerous game, here?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    You can make Major PF with Power Pistol, I have done it and its actually a decent round to be honest. The higher the charge, the more efficiently it seems to burn and reduced flash occurs. My M&P Open Division gun has a custom titanium 3-port comp and 3 popple holes and it would make major with a 124gr and PP. It would still unleash a good foot & a half long flames and sparks out the loud end.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    All this sounds to me like you guys are playing a dangerous game, here?
    Steve
    With exception of a few published loads, pretty much anyone running 9mm Major power factor is loading the cartridge beyond SAAMI specs. Some of those loads are encroaching on rifle chamber pressures but pretty much all of the guns shooting 9 major are far from stock guns. Much stronger guns made for this. Now should we be doing what we are doing as far as going beyond published maximums, no, of course not. Catastrophic failures aren't common is this sport dispite how it sounds. Kinda goes to show you how much margin of strength is in modern guns. It has been pushed towards USPSA and IPSC to lower the major power threshold but it has been on deaf ears thus far. So competitors will continue to shoot 9mm major as is. The cost to shoot a .38 Super or Super Comp gun is why 9mm major came in play.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    With exception of a few published loads, pretty much anyone running 9mm Major power factor is loading the cartridge beyond SAAMI specs. Some of those loads are encroaching on rifle chamber pressures but pretty much all of the guns shooting 9 major are far from stock guns. Much stronger guns made for this. Now should we be doing what we are doing as far as going beyond published maximums, no, of course not. Catastrophic failures aren't common is this sport dispite how it sounds. Kinda goes to show you how much margin of strength is in modern guns. It has been pushed towards USPSA and IPSC to lower the major power threshold but it has been on deaf ears thus far. So competitors will continue to shoot 9mm major as is. The cost to shoot a .38 Super or Super Comp gun is why 9mm major came in play.
    Sir, you are changing the equation here the OP wanted to create bigger fire flames from a 9MM nothing to do with 9mm making major power factors???
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master

Sir, you are changing the equation here the OP wanted to create bigger fire flames from a 9MM nothing to do with 9mm making major power factors???
    Steve
    The thread title is "making flame throwing 9mm major rounds". It has everything to do w/ making major power factor.

Boolit Master
    Steve

Hence my 1st comment on making Major PF with flamey Power Pistol powder. Been there & done it but I will leave the loading data for the perspective user to figure out.

The other comment was setting the record straight as to our sport as you pointed out.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Along with Power pistol Longshot might be a good flamethrower.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Diff powder for sure. BlueDot is about as flashy & loud as it gets. PowerPistol is a close 2nd.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The thread title is "making flame throwing 9mm major rounds". It has everything to do w/ making major power factor.
    Not really. If you just want more flash & bang, simply swapping to BlueDot will give you that. I am nto sure you can even stuff enough under a 115gr bullet to go +p pressures.

Well today was a great day for testing as it's really over cast and maybe even going to storm so the low lighting is perfect for this. Not nighttime but good and dark out for being 3pm in the afternoon.

Rounds tested were 115gr bullets and everthing the same except the powder.

Power Pistol= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 9grs= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 9.7gr= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 with 3031 added up to 1 grain= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 with h380 added up to 1 grain= Zero Muzzle Flash

Well the result were all the same, no flash at all just smoke being dumped out the vertical ports. Had a second person watching to make sure I didn't just miss the flash or blink but they said the same thing that there was no muzzle flash at all.
    http://www.aerospacearms.com Current Deals:
    349.99 Deltapoint Pro code: "Deltapoint"
    21% off all magpul products code: "Magpul"

Boolit Master
    hahaha

Now that's something i'd like to see being shot at my local club. We get people whinging about the smoke from lubed projectiles, i'd live to see their reaction to someone using black powder in a semi-auto

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Well today was a great day for testing as it's really over cast and maybe even going to storm so the low lighting is perfect for this. Not nighttime but good and dark out for being 3pm in the afternoon.

Rounds tested were 115gr bullets and everthing the same except the powder.

Power Pistol= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 9grs= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 9.7gr= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 with 3031 added up to 1 grain= Zero Muzzle Flash
    AA7 with h380 added up to 1 grain= Zero Muzzle Flash

Well the result were all the same, no flash at all just smoke being dumped out the vertical ports. Had a second person watching to make sure I didn't just miss the flash or blink but they said the same thing that there was no muzzle flash at all.
    AA powders are supposed to have flash suppressants applied, so that sounds about right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    About 15 years ago a lot of Russian rifle powder was being imported. It did not have any flash suppressors coatings. It produced very impressive fired balls in bright sun light. I would check with the surplus powder sellers to see if the have any pistol powders with no flash suppression coatings.
    I bought some of it for a song and in a 308 carbine with an 18" barrel it is quite impressive. I still have a few pounds left, but it never provided the accuracy I wanted in the 308, 30/06 or 30/30.

I keep a packet of magnesium shavings in my survival kit for wet wood and I also use it for fire starting demonstrations in hunter safety classes. I get it from a Boeing machinist. It burns with a bright flame. I guess a granual or two mixed with Blue Dot powder wouldn't hurt anything other than adding to the clean up time. That might be what you're after.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I can tell you from experience that Silhouette (Winchester Action Pistol), True Blue, VV 3N38, Autocomp, W572 and maybe a couple I'm forgetting, are all just a big blast of noise and some smoke from the comp. I Also tested HS6 which did produce a small amount of flash. Now big fireballs weren't my goal, i was seeing wjat felt the best and kept the muzzle flattest.

I don't know if Blue Dot will fulfill your needs, it should be a top contender in the flash department but major power factor I don't know. Power Pistol on the other hand will make major and breath fire and in all honesty its pretty gassy and felt good in comparison to the top performers in my testing. Literally having your cake and eating it too.
    Its surprising how well the flash suppressants in powders today work. My former 115gr 9mm Major load was pretty much scooping the case full of 3N38 and carding it off level, a fairly compressed load that sent a 115gr Barry's HB/TP downrange at more than 1500fps. Not even a peep of flame off that load. If you try Blue Dot, let us know how it works.

I would be cautious about adding an metal solids for effects. I doubt it would harm the gun but depending on where you shoot, might be a bad idea. One of our ranges has a chunked rubber covered backstop which would be bad if it caught fire and another couple indoor ranges I frequent have pretty dirty bays sometimes. You can feel grit under your shoes which is largely unburned gun powder. Just food for thought.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12