Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You could only have one press?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Another vote for the RockChucker !
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

While I agree with many of the above posts on what press, I'd have to say my Lyman AA. When I got it it was in as new condition and I've loaded thousands of rounds on it and it still as tight now as it was then.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yes, can(n't). If I could only have one press but could build anything I want. I would buy the most complex and build the rest. Maybe even an extra tall ram and tool head with a single stage adapter so you could do 50 BMG if you had enough time.

In that case it needs to be "If you only have "fill in the blank" dollars to spend AND couldn't spend it on more than one press, what would you get." The 1050 we are talking about will burn up the better part of $2000 setup for a single caliber.
    Ok, inverse the problem, plenty of money, but little space. Say a loft or one bedroom apartment, had to move in with a buddy, mom/dad, and have enough room for the press of your dreams, but not two.
    I don't honestly see myself going to one any time soon, but it could happen, and may happen for health reasons.
    So have fun with it, maybe we can all learn a little something, I already have! I'm shocked to see a 1050 make the list at all, I'm surprised how many are choosing 550b's, as well as how many would go back to a single stage.

Ok, inverse the problem, plenty of money, but little space.
    That one is easy, I would have a manufacturer start a jmorris signature line that consists of all my favorite loads.

I honestly don't know the last time I had one press was 33 years ago and all I loaded with it was 12ga.
    Last edited by jmorris; 06-09-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with jmorris. If money was not an issue I would never load another round in my life. From 8 years old to 16 years old I loaded over a 150,000 45/70 and 45 Colt on a single station for a reenactment club. Reloading for me is an affordable means to an end.

What I don't understand is the love for turret presses or the Dillon 550.

When I owned my 450's and 550's I wanted a true progressive like the 650 so when they came out I purchased some. I really like them but I love the 1050's.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-09-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I...

What I don't understand is the love for turret presses or the Dillon 550.
    I do like my 650 as well but 550 has more caliber conversions, it's faster to change calibers and that's my 1st press (added 650 and RC afterwards) that's why I've choose 550 (if only one) .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    A hard choice to make, But I would go with the Lee classic turret.
    Me too
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

My RCBS Ammomaster. Progressively from .32 ACP to .460 Wheatherby, as a single station from .25 ACP to .50 BMG.

Anything that can full length size a BMG is pretty tough.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    It is not possible to be happy with only 2 presses unless you are just a "reloader" - most likely of pistol ammo.

If you handload you will be forming cases and that means a first class single stage press such as a Rockchucker or RCBS A2.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    big max haven't had anything yet that it could not do slow but...........

Boolit Grand Master
    So typical of responses to these types of questions......

I do not understand why anyone would pick a single stage press. How do you handle loading 20k rounds a year?

I do not understand why anyone would pick a 1050. How do you handle loading for 30 calibers or case forming?

I do not understand why anyone would pick a 550. It if half the speed of a 1050, and still cannot form cases.

We think we are right and want the affirmation of others. But we have no clue about the needs others have, or their financial constraints. Nearly everyone makes the same error when recommending equipment....the important questions are not considered.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I do not understand why anyone would pick a single stage press. How do you handle loading 20k rounds a year?

I do not understand why anyone would pick a 1050. How do you handle loading for 30 calibers or case forming?

I do not understand why anyone would pick a 550. It if half the speed of a 1050, and still cannot form cases.

We think we are right and want the affirmation of others. But we have no clue about the needs others have, or their financial constraints. Nearly everyone makes the same error when recommending equipment....the important questions are not considered.
    - Not everyone loads 20k rounds a year.
    - Not everyone needs to form cases.
    - People can afford to buy a 1050 conversion kit for thirty cartridges.
    - A 550 is a more versatile and economical press compared to a 1050.

I can answer why so many are choosing a 550. It's a good compromise of speed, versatility and economics. Conversions are affordable. It cranks out ammo in short order. And most people don't form cases. So for the people that need a good amount of ammo for readily available cartridges it's one the best options. It will load large magnum rifle cases so it has plenty of leverage.

The topic isn't "what press do you recommend". It's "what press would YOU choose if you could only have one". So people are choosing what meets their needs. I personally think if you're choosing a Lee turret or progressive you should still have a single stage. But that's just me and I happen to form cases.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dillon 1050. While it would be expensive for caliber conversions and not a good choice for most but if I could only keep one it would be the 1050.

I currently own the following:

2 Dillon Super 1050’s one for large primer and one for small primer
    1 Dillon RL 1000
    3 Dillon 650’s one for large primer, one for small primer and one dedicated to 45/70
    1 Lyman turret
    2 RCBS Big Max A4’s
    2 RCBS A2’s
    1 RCBS Rock Chucker
    1 CH4D Champion O press
    1 Forster Co-Ax
    1 Herter’s Super Model 3
    1 Herter U-3 Super
    1 Wells C
    2 Mec 9000g’s
    1 Pacific 266 with conversions kits in 12, 20, 28 and 410
    2 PW 375's - one for 10 gauge and one for 3 1/2" 12 gauge
    1 Mec Jr.
    The next reloading party is at your place!!
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

But the OQ was "if YOU could only have one press ".
    I don't see myself ever forming 223 from 460 Weatherby . In recent history the most industrious forming I've done was 06-8x57-7x57-257 Bob and 223-222 . I did bang a half dozen 06-7.7 Jap . I may in the not too distant future knock out a 25ACP X 22 . Since I have an AMax A4 ,RCII and Partner and 3-4 Lyman and Pacific C type presses including an upstroke model .

Based on that , 4 in the household , 17 cal , 30 cartridges , 4 gauges , getting 1 big game tag by lottery draw , having a lust for water fowl , preferring a 4"/50yd single action to a 1"/21' drum fed Glock , I feel that my choice of the RC series and any of the 4 really would be sufficient for MY needs from 22/25ACP to 3" 12 ga and my rather mundane forming tasks . (Apologies to the English majors. )
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man
    Right now, I have only one. Thankfully, it chose me. I won a 550 as a prize in my Bullseye league. I have done several pistol and rifle cartridges on it.

I do 7.62x54R with it using a single stage method. It works, but I am sometimes thinking a single stage or turret would look nice on my bench as well as a second 550 so I don't have to switch for primer size.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master

Mean, green Rockchucker.

Now Ghosthawk has got me traveling into the windmills of my mind, i.e. "thinking", what are your fella's opinion of the Lee hand press?

Looks like it would be great for boolit seating while exerting one's self out on the patio deck in a lawn chair, or in the living room doing strenuous work-outs in the recliner!

There are times, I would like to be free from the bench press.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Now Ghosthawk has got me traveling into the windmills of my mind, i.e. "thinking", what are your fella's opinion of the Lee hand press?
    Randy's press is superior in every way and worth the cost of entry: http://buchananprecisionmachine.com/...eloading-press

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Randy's press is superior in every way and worth the cost of entry: http://buchananprecisionmachine.com/...eloading-press
    I have one, and yes I agree. But for $35 the Lee Hand Press is worth every penny. Love them both.

Lee Classic Cast Turret ....
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

Only one? .........My 45 year old Rockchucker without a doubt!

My 550C would be a very close second.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast