Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You could only have one press?

No, just wanted to see this one to 100 posts.

Boolit Master
    I have been through a few, swapped one and gave one to a friend in Mobile, but have had my Rockchucker for several years. If I ever sell my rifles I do believe I'd like the press that Sinclair advertises, as the RCBS press is a bit much for pistol and revolver rounds, and after watching Randy's video I don't think that I have the arm strength to use his press.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Redding #7

Boolit Master
    I have more Presses than Hillary has excuses for losing last fall.

Happy on both counts!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Lyman AA for me. It will load anything I will ever own, it's set up with good access at the shell holder, and requires nothing special in dies or shell holders. It's also strong enough for case forming. It's not fast but versatility overrides speed for me. I really like my 550b but it would go as well as the Rockchucker before the Lyman AA.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I'd love to have one myself, someday. I see, and respect the versatility of it, I just can't justify it right now.
    As an aside, why is it so hard to screw in dies that are preset, vs using the lnl bushings? I'm not knocking the lnl setup, I'm just thinking how long it really takes me to screw in a preset die.
    I'll go back to my corner now, sorry.
    Having used the LNL bushings for about 10 years now, I have a few conclusions. They're at least as precise as just screwing dies into the press. Repeatability is extremely consistent. It's certainly not hard to screw dies in and out but it does take 20-30 seconds to swap, do the one quick operation and another 20-30 seconds to go back to the original die that was in the press. Not a big deal to do that once in a loading session but if it has to be done over and over I get tired of it and the die is never held captive in the press by a locking ring that has to be loosened. With the LNL bushings I can remove a seating die, pull a bullet and have the seating die back in place in under 10 seconds and know the adjustment is still good. For me it's more about reducing the aggravation level and repeatability than saving time. I have a Rock Chucker and a Summit press with LNL bushings in both. Once the LNL bushings were shimmed to the same height over the shell holders I can put dies in either press and know they're adjusted correctly.

With 2 press bushings and over 30 die bushings it was a substantial investment but well worth it to me. My universal decapping die, rifle FCDs and anything I use in a single stage press is equipped with LNL bushings. YMMV.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Perma-Banned
    I currently own a Redding Big Boss and really like it, but have owned a few RCBS Rock chuckers over the years and they were ROCK SOLID, so if i could only have 1 press it would likely be an older Rock chucker

I have more Presses than Hillary has excuses for losing last fall.

Happy on both counts!

Three44s
    Now you made me wonder about Russian reloading presses.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I have been through a few, swapped one and gave one to a friend in Mobile, but have had my Rockchucker for several years. If I ever sell my rifles I do believe I'd like the press that Sinclair advertises, as the RCBS press is a bit much for pistol and revolver rounds, and after watching Randy's video I don't think that I have the arm strength to use his press.
    Tom: you did realize I was sizing .45-70 cases in that video and I assure that any pistol case is almost going to fall thru. It takes very little effort to size .44 magnum cases and less if you lube them first. Love Life uses his to size and deprime .45 ACP cases while watching TV. Those take almost no effort whatsoever and certainly a lot less than any bench mounted Single Stage Press simply because of the amount of travel in the arms.

Also the motion is pushing together rather than down and away from you. It also builds up your Pectoral Muscles if you want to reduce your Man Boobs.

I have had a couple of guys state that they didn't see how they could size brass with my tool. None had actually tried it, and I can tell you, and probably others can as well, it really ain't that hard to operate.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    Corbin S press. Swage press and reloading press in one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Hmmm, one press only? I believe the CO-AX would be my choice.

Changed my mind....a Redding T7 turret would be a better choice IMO.

Boolit Master

I have a Dillon 550. a Rockchucker, a Pacific Supreme, two Lee Pro 1000's and recently was given a Texan Turret (for metallic). I do believe if I had to scale down to one it would be the Texan.

This kind of reminds me of this same question asked on a fishing forum.
    If you could only have one lure what would it be?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    This kind of reminds me of this same question asked on a fishing forum.
    If you could only have one lure what would it be?
    Isn't that the truth.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    First choice my Lee Classic Turret. Second choice my Dillon RL300. Third choice either my Lee Classic Cast or my RCBS RS(not an RC). The Lee CC has more leverage, and more room, but the RS has a kool factor, the newer presses lack. It's just a neat little press.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    Rock Chucker... Single stage only. l would never consider a progressive for several reasons.. You cant clean your primer pockets... l wont seat new primer in a dirty pocket...l always use a hand primer. Besides, being retired now l'm not in a big hurry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    Rock Chucker... Single stage only. l would never consider a progressive for several reasons.. You cant clean your primer pockets... l wont seat new primer in a dirty pocket...l always use a hand primer. Besides, being retired now l'm not in a big hurry
    The easiest and fastest way to remove primers is on a progressive with a case feeder and universal primer die. Just pour the cases into the feeder and pull the handle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The easiest and fastest way to remove primers is on a progressive with a case feeder and universal primer die. Just pour the cases into the feeder and pull the handle.
    Agreed... But you CANT clean primer pockets using a progressive... l don't seat NEW primers in dirty pockets

I think he's thinking more along the lines of only decapping. Probably for cleaning purposes.

Even without the case feeder, it's still the fastest way to get decapping production. I've been doing a lot of brass cleaning since I got my F.A.R.T.

Changeover on the case feeder for different calibers is time consuming on the LNL AP, but I've gotten really fast at hand feeding that thing in the last month. Can easily decap 1,000 in an hour.

Boolit Master
    The Ultimate.

AKA the USA made RCBS A4. I wish I had about four instead of just the one I own.

I've loaded everything from 22 Hornet to my wildcat 550 Gibbs and 50 BMG.