Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: No Ox Id for lube?

Boolit Mold

No Ox Id for lube?

So for work, I am a critical power engineer (essentially, I work on datacenter UPSs and their associated battery strings), and when installing batteries and stuff, we use a "battery grease" to coat the terminals called No-Ox-Id to prevent corrosion and things of that nature. I currently have about 4 tubs of this "grease" about the size of a large container of pasta salad from your local grocer. I have thought a few times about using this for lube while I wait to get a good setup for powder coating (I'm itching to try some homemade cast loads), but figured I'd better check with the professionals before doing something that could potentially harm my firearm

Here is a link describing No-Ox-Id and what its intended purpose is:
    http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-co...lubricant.html

Any and all input is appreciated!

I have lubed bullets for a muzzle loader with NO-OX-ID with satisfactory results as far as fouling control goes. Accuracy was good. I have not tried it as a smokeless bullet lube. Without trying it I am a little skeptical. Further, it is quite expensive as opposed to a bee wax based lubricant that is much higher in viscosity and easier to keep in the lub gooves. NO-OX-ID is the absolute best reust/corrosion preventer that I have ever found.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I agee with Dan and would recommend you use looking into Bens liquid lube. The formula can be found in the forums.

Boolit Master
    The No-Ox-Id that I am familiar with was used for aluminum connections. When exposed to air aluminum oxidizes and forms a thin layer of aluminum oxide which is a semi-conducting layer. You would apply the No-Ox-Id to the aluminum, wire brush through it to break the aluminum oxide layer, and leave it on to keep oxygen away from the aluminum while you made up the connection. The problem with using it for boolits is that it contained an abrasive to help it get through the aluminum oxide while brushing and to penetrate into both the conductor and the connector when the connector was compressed onto the aluminum conductor. I don't think I would like to have an abrasive shot down any of my barrels.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the abrasive would work like the stuff one rolls boolits in to fire lap a bore?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    The problem with using it for boolits is that it contained an abrasive to help it get through the aluminum oxide while brushing and to penetrate into both the conductor and the connector when the connector was compressed onto the aluminum conductor. I don't think I would like to have an abrasive shot down any of my barrels.
    Good to know! I had no idea it had an abrasive in it. Thanks everyone for your input; I will have to look into Bens lube.

According to the manufacturer, NO-OX-ID originated as a lubricant for food processing machinery. I have used it as a lubricant for low speed bearings that are exposed to the elements. I doubt that there is any abrasive in the grease unless put there by the consumer.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    The No-Ox-Id that I was familiar with was similar to Burndy Pentox-A or Alcoa Alnox. These contained zinc particles to penetrate the aluminum oxide coating on the aluminum conductor. It looks like the No-Ox-Id company makes a number of lubricants for different purposes and halodub and I were referring to totally different products that could be used for the same purpose i.e. electrical connections.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.