MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a kid's muzzleloader for DEER????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    while the Encore is an excellent gun it's not a sidelock as the OP is lookin' for.
    just thought i would put that out there for him as in option
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Depending on how much your willing to spend. There are a few traditional rifle options available.
    CVA Traditions Pedersoli and of course everybody's buddy here. >waksupi: a builder of custom rifles. Seen one or two of waksupi rifles over the years pictured here and there.>Gorgeous reliable & accurate shooters.

As for my advice on caliber for your son use.. Since mule deer are typically bigger and heavier in comparison to a white tail or black tail. 50 cal minimum (I) suggest.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Depending on how much your willing to spend. There are a few traditional rifle options available.
    CVA Traditions Pedersoli and of course everybody's buddy here. >waksupi: a builder of custom rifles. Seen one or two of waksupi rifles over the years pictured here and there.>Gorgeous reliable & accurate shooters.

As for my advice on caliber for your son use.. Since mule deer are typically bigger and heavier in comparison to a white tail or black tail. 50 cal minimum (I) suggest.
    While I get your point, and maybe more so with a newer shooter, a .50 cal with a ball is used to take elk by some keeping the range within 75 yds. The .45 is enough for a mule deer. Me personally I prefer a bit more. Extra never hurt anything (except for small game perhaps).

Oh, and my vote is also for the .50 cal.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Even a .45 cal ball would be plenty and recoil less as well.

If the both of you will be needing another muzzleloader each I'd think a .45 followed by a .54 would be close to ideal!
    GREAT ADVICE!!!!

Jim

Boolit Master
    The boy could handle a light 50 for sure, and when it comes time to go for elk.............. He will be comforable with what he has been using all along.

Boolit Man
    Great advice...EVERYONE! I really do appreciate the sharing of your expertise and experience. If anything else comes to mind, be sure to chime in. Really want to have a broad knowledge base as I start to hit the pawn shops, gun shows and gunbroker.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Look for a used CVA Bobcat in .50, a little lighter to carry around.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    While I get your point, and maybe more so with a newer shooter, a .50 cal with a ball is used to take elk by some keeping the range within 75 yds. The .45 is enough for a mule deer. Me personally I prefer a bit more. Extra never hurt anything (except for small game perhaps).

Oh, and my vote is also for the .50 cal.
    I have a lady friend who uses her .45 flinter for elk. As you say, just get in range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Ok just my opinion; I would not hunt any mule deer in Nevada with anything under 50 cal. Even a 50 round ball is iffy past seventy five yards unless you really stoke it up. Unless you have a spot with a blind where the deer come right up to you.
    I took a nice sized one a couple of years ago at a hundred and sixty six yards. I hit him a little high in the shoulder, but missed the bone and took both lungs. Knocked him right off his feet, I thought great. Then he got up and ran over the ridge, he went another three hundred yards and finally bleed out. And that was with a 54 cal. 450 gr. Minie ball.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-loader-Hunt
    I would suggest you find a good used 50 cal, the lightest you can find, cut off the barrel at twenty four, twenty six inches. Cut the stock off to fit him now with a thin rubber pad. Then work up a light round ball load. As he grows up work up a heaver load and add a thicker recoil pad. A 1 in 48 twist will shot light round ball loads OK and maxi’s even better when he can handle them. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Also I’m just north of Reno, so if later on you want to take him out, I have a couple of 50’s we can let him try some light loads.

Boolit Master
    From what the many traditional forum hunters have said concerning the .50 cal ball is that it will most certainly give a complete passthrough on deer with a broadside shot easily at 125 yds with quick enough kills with proper shot placement.

Initially I was dumbstruck when I ran the numbers through a ballistics calculator for a ball at an average velocity (70-90 grn charge). What I "knew" of modern projectiles this ball wouldn't work well beyond 50 yds so I began asking a lot of questions of those who use it and this is what I got from far too many people. It's unclear what "stoked up" is.

There are also several guys using these .44 cal percussion revolvers with a ball with good results when using a more energetic powder on deer out to normal ranges (~25 yds). The velocity/energy levels are quite similar to a .50 cal ball out at 125 yds.

Like you I still think the .50 is better than the .45. More never hurts.

Look for a used T/C Seneca. Beautiful little rifle, but they're not made anymore.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Man
    Saw a Bobcat today in great shape today at a Carson City pawn shop....for $199!!!! When I told the guy behind the counter that they sold for like $80 in '05, he said, "Things used to be cheap back then." So, I just bought this... http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633623785 If this happens to be too heavy for the boy, I will just use it myself.

Jim

Boolit Master
    that there is a 1st gen. renegade. most important thing you need to do once you get it, is to inspect the bore. look for black spotting in the bore. should be a mirror finish. and I would change the sights.... both front and back.

Perma-Banned
    you got a good one there. the Renegade was my first ever muzzler & still my all time favorite. weight won't be too bad for the average youngster, recoil can be managed very well, and it can be loaded up or down for about anything up to elk or moose or even bears(though I'd have some sort of back-up if I was ever to go after a bear with a single-shot anything).

luck to you & the lad & have a good'en, bubba.

Boolit Master
    why not get a .45 barrel for the rifle he has already? the stock fits. a .45 prb will kill a deer easy even at 100 yds.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    why not get a .45 barrel for the rifle he has already? the stock fits. a .45 prb will kill a deer easy even at 100 yds.
    The rifle he has is a CVA Squirrel...is there a .45 barrel that drops into that stock????

Jim

Perma-Banned
    don't believe there is but, I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaElkSlayer View Post
    The rifle he has is a CVA Squirrel...is there a .45 barrel that drops into that stock????

Jim

Could get one made the length and rifling of your choice. Would cost no more than a used low end rifle.

Boolit Master
    what is the barrel across the flats? I think it is 3/4. find a barrel and fit it to the stock.

Boolit Master

Also remember a cap&ball revolver is not a muzzleloader and not legal in most states during the special muzzleloader season. I started both sons off with a 50 caliber using a patched Round Ball, I did take twenty plus Deer with a 45 caliber muzzleloader even tried the sabots with a 240 gr.
    XPT 44caliber HP. But I've went back to a patched Round Ball, I Really like Black Powder in my muzzleloaders/but it's kinda each to their own as to what they use for powder
    Btw if you go with a 45 caliber use fffg(3f) powder but in the 50's I use ffg(2f).good luck
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-11-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast