RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions for a kid's muzzleloader for DEER????

Boolit Buddy
    You could buy a CVA squirrel rifle with two barrels. The second was either a .45 or .50. Brother in law bought one as a kit back in the day.

That's right, the CVA Squirrel rifle could be had with the .45 caliber barrel and maybe even the .50 if memory serves.

Another lightweight option is the CVA Frontier Rifle. They too can be had in .45 and .50 calibers, Flint or Percussion and weigh just a bit more than the Squirrel Rifle. They too are very accurate.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Banned

imho, the best of the offshore trad ml's is still the lyman (investarms) trade rifle, .50 bore, 1:48 rifling, percussion. my 13yo grandson handles his flint trade with ease, and he's slight of built. dixie gun works has an investarms .50 cap kit (yep, it's a trade rifle, and with an added brass patchbox) for $425.

Boolit Man
    Another lightweight option is the CVA Frontier Rifle. They too can be had in .45 and .50 calibers, Flint or Percussion and weigh just a bit more than the Squirrel Rifle. They too are very accurate.[/QUOTE]

My first 2 deer were taken with a 50 caliber CVA Frontier using round balls and 70 grains of 2F goex.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good score on the Renegade. Cared for, it will last a life time. Give good service, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	critter getter 2014-04-20.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	197431

This is a Traditions Deerhunter in the process of being refit. Under six pounds. Octagonal to round shotgun barrel, knife handle scale butt plate, new ram rod.
    I want a small bore rifle barrel too.
    Throw'd that in here just for more stuff to think about.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	critter getter 2014-04-20.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	197431

This is a Traditions Deerhunter in the process of being refit. Under six pounds. Octagonal to round shotgun barrel, knife handle scale butt plate, new ram rod.
    I want a small bore rifle barrel too.
    Throw'd that in here just for more stuff to think about.
    Ok. I have to know what gauge the smoothbore is. If I'm not mistaken aren't these 7/8"?

Boolit Man
    Keep it coming, guys! Stopped in Winnemucca on the way home from Idaho when I bought the .36. Found the pawn shop and the guy who entered the shop before me bought the Deerhunter they had... Looked like it was in great shape and sold for $100!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Ok. I have to know what gauge the smoothbore is. If I'm not mistaken aren't these 7/8"?
    Yep, 7/8" it is. The bore is half inch, my idea of a black powder .410.
    I'm not quite done yet with the tang peep and polishing out the edges of the butt plate (buffalo horn knife handle scale).

Picked up, what I believe is a TC Seneca, in .45 cal at a local pawn shop for $100.00. Seems side locks do not sell well, used, in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. This gun is ideal for the child who is between 4th and 7th grade or for people who may be vertically challenge and have short arms.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Picked up, what I believe is a TC Seneca, in .45 cal at a local pawn shop for $100.00. Seems side locks do not sell well, used, in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. This gun is ideal for the child who is between 4th and 7th grade or for people who may be vertically challenge and have short arms.
    GREAT DEAL!!!!

Jim

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
    You could buy a CVA squirrel rifle with two barrels. The second was either a .45 or .50. Brother in law bought one as a kit back in the day.

they did offer a model with 36 & 50 caliber barrels but, not sure if it was the squirrel rifle as I believe it had a 13/16ths barrel? but maybe I'm thinkin' of the Crockett.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sasquacth-1 You got a Seneca for $100 !!!!! Good for you. That was a steal. Hope it's a shooter.

any Deer Stalker will do work up a load that he/she can shoot.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It's a TC. Short stock. 50 cal. on a Hawken style stock. It's about 6 to 8" shorter then my Traditions Hawken. I don't shoot it often because it is really too short for me. My TC Hawken in .50 with the Rock Lock is what I have been shooting lately.

Pawn shops don't go for side locks in this area. When they get one it is usually part of a multi gun deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Sasquacth-1 You got a Seneca for $100 !!!!! Good for you. That was a steal. Hope it's a shooter.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

CVA had a Bobcat model in .50 that would be perfect. Short&light, 50 grs of Pyrodex P and a round ball will fill the freezer.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Lots of choices around. If you can find an old CVA youth model sidehammer your search could be over. I use them to teach at a boys & girls camp during the summer. .50 cal - easy to shoot and easy on the smaller shooter. Plenty accurate and soldier proof. Seems the used market should have an abundance of them floating around. I know one of the camp guns has over 5,000 rounds through it and it's going strong. I've been doing this for more than 15 years and there have been only a couple years when we shot less than 500. Even those years, hundreds have gone down range.
    UPDATE: Actually found a youth CVA sidelock .50 caliber muzzleloader....should be here next Monday.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I never had a problem killing a deer with a .45. Check your laws, some states are round ball only. I know Montana is, because I helped write the regulations about 40 years ago.

I don't think so, I take my deer with maxi, minnie or ball.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

From State of Montana Hunting Regulations:
    Method And Means of Hunting
    Firearms, including rifles, handguns, shotguns with 0, 00, or slugs, and muzzleloaders

There is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation or magazine/round capacity restrictions for the taking of big game animals.

Weapons Restriction Areas(you know where they built a subdivision in your favorite hunting spot , and Wildlife Management areas next to waterways)
    Muzzleloader
    1-must not be capable of being loaded from breech of the barrel
    2-may not be loaded with any pre-prepared paper or metallic cartridges
    3-must be charged with black powder, pyrodex, or an equivalent
    4-must be ignited by a percussion, flintlock, matchlock, or wheelock mechanism
    5-must be a minimum of .45 caliber
    6-may have no more than two barrels
    7- must only use plain lead projectiles
    8-Sabots or other similar power and range enhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifling or bore of the firearm are prohibited. "Skirts" or gas checks on the base of a projectile are acceptable.

So during general hunting season across the state you can legally use your .32 cal inline muzzleloader with a jacketed 30 cal bullet in a sabot, loaded with smokeless powder, it is legal!

In a Weapons Restriction Area, we have a few, you can use your 45 cal or larger percussion gun with black powder or substitute, maxi ball, minnie ball or round ball are all legal.

What ever you helped write they didn't use it!
    Last edited by swheeler; 07-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123