WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst shooting .45 LC in the world.

Boolit Master

Worst shooting .45 LC in the world.

I don't know who has it but I suspect that's what he went home thinking. Going through some range brass today and found about a box of .44mag that had been fired in a .45... I hope he figured it out and didn't pawn it on the way home..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 209_4410.jpg  

Boolit Master

This is one of the reasons I do not own a 45 Colt or a 41 magnum.
    The effect can be as bad as coming home drunk or what you think is home, and crawling into the wrong bed.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I use to form easy to get casings out of 308 and 30/06, like 243 & 270. Mostly because I was getting 308 & 30/06 for nothing. One deer hunting trip in late 60s, I had a new 742 Rem 30/06.
    I only had it a couple months before season. I had sighted it in and burnt up a few boxes of
    handloads basically plinking with it. First morning of season I got a shot at a small buck. When I
    touched off, the report was a funny hollow sound and smoke was rolling out of action. Gun failed to
    extract. When I got out brass I realized I had a stray 270 made from 30/06. From that time on
    I never make brass if I can buy it. If I do have to form brass I color case head with a magic marker. Anyone that would shoot up a whole box of the wrong ammo without realizing they were
    making a mistake is a fool.

Jim Taylor fired several 44 mags. in his 45 once to prove a point. They don't shoot very well.

Perm-Banned
    shot 6, 44/40 cowboy loads in my 45 long colt once by accident. got lousy groups. went to the internet and asked if anyone else has ever done that, numerous guys had said they also had done it by mistake. a couple said they preferred 44/40 brass blown out to 45 long colt to reload to 45 long colt. cant remember the reason why but they both were compititon shooters. when i did this i looked at the gun and said to my self, ok, whats wrong now? then it came to me and when i unloaded the brass from the gun it confirmed what i already figured out. was glad to find out i wasnt the only dummy to do that.

Boolit Master
    There is a story of famed Indian fighter Jeff Milton loading .45 Colt ammo in his .44-40 '73 rifle. He allegedly used his knife to remove the side plates to get the rifle running again during the fight.

Me, I arrived at a shoot after driving 3 hours only to realise the .44-40 cylinder was in the Colt's SAA. Only .44 Special ammo packed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    shot 6, 44/40 cowboy loads in my 45 long colt once by accident. got lousy groups.
    Love the way you put it.

Vendor Sponsor

One of our regulars here says his best shooting sixgun is a 44 magnum SBH with a 45 Colt cylinder....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    One of our regulars here says his best shooting sixgun is a 44 magnum SBH with a 45 Colt cylinder....
    How does that work? Nominally speaking, squeezing a .452 boolit through a .432 bore, really?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    How does that work? Nominally speaking, squeezing a .452 boolit through a .432 bore, really?
    He didn't say he was shooting .45lc, just using a .45lc cylinder...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    He didn't say he was shooting .45lc, just using a .45lc cylinder...
    True, I read that into it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    Not a handgun but....
    I was visiting a friend & we saw a pigeon fly into his barn.
    He sent his boy to get his Winchester 9422 Magnum.
    The kid gave it to me saying "it's all set"
    I shot the pigeon but missed the second.
    It was loaded with 22LRs.

Regards

Russ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I hope he figured it out and didn't pawn it on the way home..
    Shaddup you! Hey buddy, I'll give you a hunnerd dollar for that shot-out .45.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

This has only happened to me once. Colt single actions in both 45 Colt and 44 special. I noticed the ammo sounded "funny". Upon extraction, sure as heck, swelled 44 special cases fired in a 45 Colt cylinder. No damage to gun. For awhile afterwards it was either 44 mag./ special OR 45 Colt range day. I consider myself a very detailed person and it surprised me I would make such a fundamental mistake. And no, there was not a cute female at the range that day.

Anyone ever load a chapstick in their 20ga on a freezing cold morning with mittens on? Doesn't go bang...sort of goes squish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    This has only happened to me once. Colt single actions in both 45 Colt and 44 special. I noticed the ammo sounded "funny". Upon extraction, sure as heck, swelled 44 special cases fired in a 45 Colt cylinder. No damage to gun. For awhile afterwards it was either 44 mag./ special OR 45 Colt range day. I consider myself a very detailed person and it surprised me I would make such a fundamental mistake. And no, there was not a cute female at the range that day.
    I doubt it took you a full box to figure that out and I also doubt you've done that again!

I can't think of a case in a straight walled handgun where a smaller bullet would cause more than an accuracy problem. There just wouldn't be tight enough of a seal to build up any real pressure. MAYBE something like a hot .41 mag in some very old 44 could be an issue. The .41 into a .44 is about the only one I can think of where the bores are close enough to maybe be an issue.

Boolit Master
    My thinking is that if I shoot a 44 sp out of my 45 colt, no rifling marks for the forensics people. Any thoughts?
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

I didn't fire any but I discovered that I had 3 .41spls in the cylinder of my S&W 624, a coupla years ago. It wasn't really that noticeable.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    LOL, might work.

I was just watching a youtube video where some guys were trying to blow up a single shot .410 shotgun. It handled some 454 Casull pretty well. Just key holed. I figured the 454 would have done some damage to the .410 but it didn't. It just swaged down the bullet and gave them 1700+ fps.. Didn't even stretch the barrel. They shot all kinds of stuff out of it even some 444 Marlin. Nothing fazed it. Same guys then shot 50 BMG in a 12 Ga. Didn't faze to 12 Ga either..

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Not very well. I had a .45 Uberti Colt rebarrelled one time. Markings said .45 Colt, so I took it to the range to sight it in, and guess what? The barrel was mis-marked from the factory, and was actually a .44 Mag barrel. Two rounds and I knew something was wrong. Other than kicking like a demented mule, there was no damage. I had it rebarrelled AGAIN, and I'm still shooting it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast