MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst shooting .45 LC in the world.

It will surprise you just how far down the barrel will swage a lead bullet. A couple years ago I took SIL shooting and we had a couple of look alike Handi rifles along ,one 30-30 the other 357mag. Mistake made was SIL chambered and fired a 357mag round in the 30-30 It split the case end to end but the bullet actually hit the target. No damage to the rifle. Glad it wasn't a hot jacketed round. And a testament to how strong the Handi's are. Gp

In Remembrance

Way back in my younger and sometimes sillier days a friend and I made up some dummy cartridges like this. We made up these .45/.44 Mag rounds and a .40/45 LC, we necked down some LC cases for a .44/.45 LC cartridge as well a .40/44 Mag. None were ever fired in any pistol, just made up for conversation pieces.Robert

Twenty years ago a buddy of my brother was shooting .44 mags in his .45 Blackhawk.
    He thought it was a .44 and didn't figger out why it was so inaccurate.

Boolit Buddy

I have to wonder how these federal LEOs manage to qualify when shooting 9mm in their 40sw glocks..
    I retrieve brass after their shoots at our local range and I have found dozens of example cases...
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    It will surprise you just how far down the barrel will swage a lead bullet. A couple years ago I took SIL shooting and we had a couple of look alike Handi rifles along ,one 30-30 the other 357mag. Mistake made was SIL chambered and fired a 357mag round in the 30-30 It split the case end to end but the bullet actually hit the target. No damage to the rifle. Glad it wasn't a hot jacketed round. And a testament to how strong the Handi's are. Gp
    Now that would be scary! Going up in size is one thing but going down in bore size is something totally different!

8x57 through a 30-06.
    Yep. Found the cases at a gun shop range. Took them inside and told the guys behind the counter that they need to pay attention what they sell.

Boolit Master
    On my case formed brass, I found it pretty easy to chuck it up gently in the drill press and with the belt set up for speed to turn the original case head marks right off. Don't have to go crazy with it and its not at all enough to hurt case integrity but it will render the original markings illegible with just a kiss of the tool bit. I used a broken drill bit, a quality HSS piece that I ground the shank to a profile and mounted this into a small block of aluminum by drilling a hole for it and set screwed in place. Clamp the block to the base in the right spot and go to work!

I like the final results too, it has an old obsolete cartridge look which it more or less is! Makes them look like an 8mm Lebel!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Perm-Banned
    when i worked with the cree/s on the n.dak canada border the old ones told me they hunted ducks with any shells they can find regardless of gauge for there old 12 gauges.they would put masking tape around a 16 or 20 gauge shell until it fit. they said they shot a lot of ducks that way.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I read an article once where the writer and his editor had gone to a corporate sponsored shoot , all the new guns and all the ammo you could shoot .
    They had shot all morning and gone back to check out the favorites . His editor couldn't hit for beans even worse than normal . Upon ejecting the empties ....... 41s in a 44 .

I used to have a picture of a steel cased 223 fired in a 6.8SPC . Nicely formed even if it did look like a bird cage .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

J1942; My old grandpa use to say "Poor people have poor ways" Sometimes in admiration and some times in disbelief. Gp

Perm-Banned
    thanks, these same old crees used only a 22 to hunt moose. when the swamps froze over they would walk right up to one while it was eating willows and shoot it behind a ear. they only fish with nets when the spring fish were running. hunting and fishing was about meat. they however ate very very well. they raise pigs to mix their meat with the wild game meat and they make wonderful smoked links with it all. best i ever ate.

Banned

had a guy from Belgium that used to be on this fourm come to America to pick up his new 500 linebaugh max that I had ordered for him and John had sent here. I figured this guy was a gun crank that had lots of experience as who else would buy a 3500 dollar 500 max. Heck I have problems shooting them with full power loads. We went to the range one day and he was shooting one of my 44 mags. Wasn't hitting ANYTHING. I walked over to see what the problem was and found him with a box of 41 mag ammo!! He had shot about 40 of the 50 rounds when I discovered it. Gave him 44mags (while shaking my head) and he didn't do a lot better with them. Worked up some ammo for his max. Light load of 10 grains of unique and a 450 grain bullets. Some mid range stuff and some real powerhouse stuff too. He shot the light load and was wining about the recoil!! He asked me if I would shoot up the rest of the hotter stuff and load him some a bit lighter!. Takes all kinds!

A guy brought me a old Rem m12 22 rifle to see if I could fix. He said it only worked 1/2 the time
    and hardly ever ejected. I fooled with that rifle for 1/2 hour before it dawned on me, 22wrf!
    When guy came back after it he had no idea what 22wrf was, claims they shot 22lr in it for years.
    I probably ruined it by cleaning the crud out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12