WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press

Moderator Emeritus

Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press

I had been out of reloading for quite a few years...and just got restarted about 6 weeks ago....When my better half and I first started reloading so that we could practice more we began with a single stage press (RCBS) and expanded to Dillons when they came out.....the time saved and the large number of rounds we shot justified the Dillons.....Now I am retired from L.E. and just do the ranch work deal....so I broke out the single stage and got started again....and man do I enjoy the single stage process.......

I said that to ask: Do you prefer a single stage or do ya like the progressive loaders.....inquiring feeble minds want to know so weigh in brothers and sisters! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I love both for the same reasons. The Dillon covers my competition ammo needs and i don't feel like a slave to the task running it for 30min to an hour and I have match ammo covered for a few weeks. It allows me a lot of competition shooting without getting burned out at the bench. Couldn't do what I do now all on a single stage.

On the flipside, the single stage time is me having some fun. I'm doing some load development or specialty cartridge stuff, the single stage is the machine for the job. Can't say I have a true favorite over the other because they fill completely different needs for me that is impractical to do on the other.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

both.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer one squarely in the middle, the Lee Classic Turret. It's a jack of all trades that has advantages over both. But I load on a single stage, Lee turret and a Dillon so I won't pick one over the other. They all serve different purposes.

I do not want to load rifle rounds on a progressive nor do I want to load handgun rounds on a single stage.

Boolit Master

Both.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

For specialty ammo and small batches the Co Ax or Newer Summit gets used if its a large batch of ammo then one of the Dillon 650s gets ran. I loaded a lot of 223, 243, 308 on the dillons when shooting high power. I started in febuary and loaded the years ammo needs for us by April. We had 223 243 and 308 for the year that was loaded together on the same set up and identical ( for all practical purposes) this way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I prefer one squarely in the middle, the Lee Classic Turret. It's a jack of all trades that has advantages over both. But I load on a single stage, Lee turret and a Dillon so I won't pick one over the other. They all serve different purposes.

I do not want to load rifle rounds on a progressive nor do I want to load handgun rounds on a single stage.
    +1. I single stage my rifle stuff and turret press all my handgun stuff. I prefer to do my 357 magnum without the indexing rod.

Boolit Master

I've got a Hornady LnL AP, Dillon 650 XL and a Hornady single stage mounted on my bench.

I use the Dillon for .45 ACP and soon 10mm. The Hornady LnL does 9mm, .38/.357, .223, and .44 Mag.

The single stage is used for boolit sizing, decapping rifle brass the first time, loading .30-06, .308 and some day .30-40 Krag.

One of these days I'd like to switch the 9mm and .38/.357 to the Dillon. I guess the .223 will follow that. I have a .44 Mag conversion kit for it but I'm not even going to set it up because I just don't shoot enough of it. I guess that will leave the Hornady to load .44 mag. If I pick up additional calibers I'll most likely use the Hornady for those.

I love my Dillon because it just flat out works. I can load 100 rounds on it in less than 10 minutes. I don't have the case feeder on it either. If I ever get the case feeder I can cut that 100 rounds down to about five minutes.

I guess it all depends on how much you shoot. If you, like me, shoot 500 or so rounds of one loading at a time a progressive press is a must. Loading 500 pistol rounds on a single stage takes hours. If you're loading precision rifle rounds to shoot a mile then a single stage is what you need.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I use a single stage for certain things but I love a Dillon for my bulk loading.

Boolit Bub
    Single stage. I like to take things nice and slow.

Boolit Buddy
    First handle I pulled was a 550. My good buddy ended up giving it to me as he was getting older and shot less. Picked up a rc next. I still find the need for both. If I could only have one, it would be a Dillon.

I use both. Dillon for high volume stuff and my RC for the rifle and load development ammo.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

I prefer a single stage press, but im fairly low volume. If I started shooting lots of 45 or 9mm or 223.. i'd want a progressive.

Perma-Banned

I use my 550 as a single stage and turret, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Both....

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I use my 550 as a single stage and turret, too.
    A great all round machine for sure.

I like the older equipment.

Banned

Single

I like them both. They each have different advantages.

Another vote for both. A CO-AX and a 550. Both are a joy to use. Each has benefits.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast