RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you favor single stage press or Dillon Style Press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I prefer one squarely in the middle, the Lee Classic Turret. It's a jack of all trades that has advantages over both. But I load on a single stage, Lee turret and a Dillon so I won't pick one over the other. They all serve different purposes.

I do not want to load rifle rounds on a progressive nor do I want to load handgun rounds on a single stage.
    This is me pretty much too sans the Dillon. I load handgun on the turret as well as 300BO and 223 that shoot jacketed in an AR platform. All other rifle rounds are loaded on a single stage.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    Single stage. Dillon is all about production speed. All the "reloader" does if fill hoppers and crank the handle.
    With a single stage I know that each and every round is unique, because I created it with my own two hands.

I have fed a Glock 19 2000 rounds a week using a Herter's Model 3 and a Rockchucker, and felt very satisfied doing it.

Ken

All 4 shotgun gauges are done on Mec progressives, the common pistol rounds are done on a Dillon Square Deal B, the blasting rifle ammo is done on a Dillon 550. Either low volume/development or high accuracy loads are done on either a Lyman T-mag or a Rock Chucker.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Single stage. Dillon is all about production speed. All the "reloader" does if fill hoppers and crank the handle.
    With a single stage I know that each and every round is unique, because I created it with my own two hands.
    Am I missing something. You set up dies on a Dillon like any other press. And you're creating each round w/ your own hands. When running a Dillon you're doing a lot more than filling hoppers and cranking the handle. It will do everything faster but that doesn't mean it's to a lesser quality.

I run them all. Sometimes I enjoy the time alone with a single stage.

My wife on the other hand bought me my first 1050, so I would have less time loading and more time with her.

Boolit Master

I have fed a Glock 19 2000 rounds a week using a Herter's Model 3 and a Rockchucker, and felt very satisfied doing it.

Ken
    Good for you!! However, what you've said about Dillon users is Bull Spit. I "hand load" with my 650 just as you do with your Rockchucker. BTW, I have 2 RC's, a Bonanza, Lee Classic Cast Turret Press, Lee Loadmaster, and a just acquired Redding T-7, love them all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I run them all. Sometimes I enjoy the time alone with a single stage.

My wife on the other hand bought me my first 1050, so I would have less time loading and more time with her.
    I agree with the first part, but my wife would buy me a single stage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Both, started with a RC, shortly after a 450B when it came out, a 550 B a couple years later. Several years ago I bought a COAX, my favorite and and a used SDB.

Don't understand the comments that you are not handloading when you use a progressive.

I use both. My Dillon SDB for my bulk pistol rounds and a single stage for rifle and high pressure pistol.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Good for you!! However, what you've said about Dillon users is Bull Spit. I "hand load" with my 650 just as you do with your Rockchucker. BTW, I have 2 RC's, a Bonanza, Lee Classic Cast Turret Press, Lee Loadmaster, and a just acquired Redding T-7, love them all.
    Ken, you say every round is unique like that's a good thing. I want every round to be identical, the opposite of unique. Sparky45 is right. My criteria for choosing between a progressive and a single stage is the number of rounds I intend to load. My Dillons create the same quality ammunition as the single stage presses. I choose a single stage for up to 100 rounds due to the setup time unless I already have a toolhead and powder measure set up for the cartridge. If I'm loading more than 100 it's going to be a lot more than 100.

Single stage= fun, relaxing loading even if it's precision. Dillon 550= still fun but better production. Dillon 650= production, production, production but still frequent quality control checks.

I especially enjoy sitting down at the single stage bench to craft 20 or 40 rifle cartridges for deer, feral hogs, exotics and varmints. I load big bore pistol rounds the same way. For my competition loads the 650 throws 4.7 grains of Titegroup plus or minus next to nothing. I crank out enough ammunition in a half hour for a match or two and a practice session. I also load .223 on the 650 and load .30-'06 for my Garand on the 550. The 550 also handles most of my handgun rounds. It has conversion kits for a lot of rifle and handgun calibers.

If I had to thin down my reloading equipment I would still want my Rock Chucker and the Dillon 550. To pick between those two, I would keep the Rock Chucker because it will do everything, just slowly, but can't imagine having to make that decision.

I knew someone that USPSA in the open division and loaded on a single stage press. He shot lots of matches. I can't imagine loading that many rounds on a single stage press. Ken, my hat is off to you for making 2000/week on single stage presses. I have shot that much in a week a few times and it was a chore with a 650.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I use my Dillons for pistols my single stage is for rifle only

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy the process of loading on a single stage. Not tempted in the least to move to a turret or progressive. I do not shoot competitively only for hunting and recreation so the volume I shoot is lower than some.

I don't think it's a matter of liking, but different tools for different jobs. Like said above, for large batches of ammo for pistols or AR's it's hard to beat the Dillon-type machines. But for my purposes, mostly rifle ammo for hunting and casual target shooting, a single stage press works great.

Boolit Master

I use my Dillon for most handgun ammo as that is what I shoot 99% of the time .
    I use my RCBS rock chucker for rifle ammo .
    And my old Posness Warren P-200 for rarely used calibers such as 32 acp and 30 carbine thats not worthwhile to convert the Dillon to . as it uses RCBS type shell holders that fits most single stage presses.

Boolit Master

I have no issues using my Forster co ax single stage press
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I use my Dillon 550 for handgun ammo as that is what I shoot 90% of the time but I load .223 on the 550 after pepping on the RCBS .
    I use my RCBS Rock Chucker for rifle ammo.

Boolit Master

I wonder how many of the single stage guys have only single cavity molds?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I wonder how many of the single stage guys have only single cavity molds?
    For rifles this most likely wouldn't be an issue. In fact it would ensure that every bullet was the same. It would be hell for handgun bullets.

Boolit Master

I like what's practical for the task at hand.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Dillon

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast